Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Trans Africa in a FJ cruiser

38K views 70 replies 56 participants last post by  Adventure 
#1 · (Edited)
Someone had to be the first to travel the length of Africa in an FJ cruiser, and my friend, his wife and Me are currently at it.
Our cars are middle east spec, registered in Saudi Arabia, and we are currently doing the east route via Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenia, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. We've spend six months preparing our vehicles in Saudi Arabia and are at the moment in Uganda. Is this the first time an FJ passes the Equator?
Our vehicles (an 2009 Auto & 2011 Manual) both have long range tanks, dual batteries, winches, EMU suspension, rooftent and custom interior for overlanding.
We have 3 months to complete the 12k Kms or so. So far the FJ's have not been trouble free; the Yellow 2009 had a case of bad Ethiopian fuel and stranded in Northern Kenia. I towed it with my FJ over a distance of 150km. Luckily Toyota Nairobi (Kenya) managed to fit a new Fuel pump we DHL'ed from Saudi and we are now back on the road heading south. If all goes to plan, we now expect to reach capetown early May.

new pictures added in post no.30
new picture added in post no.38
new pictures added in post no.46
new pictures added in post no.54

See less See more
#5 ·
Very cool! Subscribed. Stay safe :cheers:

#10 ·
Nice. Yes, keep the pictures coming!
:cheers:

#11 ·
Ag nice man!! Ek wou self hierdie trip gedoen het maar julle het my voorgespring!! Geniet dit en post nog fotos.

subscribed

Cheers vanuit Texas

:cheers:

#12 ·
Geniet dit en post nog fotos.

subscribed

Veilige reis

#20 ·
Hi, I'm the owner of the yellow FJ. The problems started just upon exiting Addis, the car did not have any power, and even stalled mutiple times. (I own a automatic so that was weird.) After checking all the filters and cleaning the fueltank and fuelpump, the problem seemed resolved, but after 100km the same problem arose. After 2 more days of struggling, with a 150km tow to the nearest town on the worst road in Africa, we transported my FJ in a truck to Nairobi where we installed the previously ordered new fuelpump. That was over a week ago, and we have no more problems! We checked the fuel that was in our spare jerry cans and found metal particals and lots of water in the fuel. It was fuel from Sudan, that is also distributed into Ethiopia. Lesson learned; when in Sudan, or Ethiopia, filter the fuel through a coffee filter. It takes forever but it's worth it!!

Regards,
JT

#23 ·
Keep those pics coming ! :wave:

#25 ·
Fantastic adventure of a lifetime ....

#27 ·
x2 more pics! haha stay safe out there!

#28 ·
Great pics and be safe. Looking forward to see the rest of your trip. Cheers

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.