Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

URD Supercharger Kit

44K views 92 replies 43 participants last post by  Hornsfan 
#1 ·
I have started a new thread about the MKII kit since production has started. I am pulling my two posts from another thread into this one to kick things off.

Hey guys...Ryan here.

Just wanted to update everyone that I just dropped my truck off at Gadget's. The MKII kit is under way. I hope to show a Stage I and Stage II setup and the difference for each add-on.

Give him about a month before bombarding him with phone calls about it. For now, post questions here, and either he or I will do our best to answer them.

At this point, Gadget is runing the preliminary diagnosis and testing. Then he will be sending the truck over to the fab shop for the FJ specific parts. Once that happens I will update you all again.

The "before" dyno I had done about two weeks ago showed 196whp and 231wtq. Gadget will run a before dyno as well.

I will do my best throughout the Stage I and Stage II process to keep you guys updated and get a dyno each time a power part is added. I hope to get videos up as well as some pictures so you can see/hear how everything is setup.

-Ryan

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: URD Supercharger Kit-NEW UPDATE!

Latest email from Gadget

I finished the rough fabrication late Saturday night. Today I installed a new Rotrex C38-81 supercharger with an 80mm pulley and the supercharger oil system.

I got the belt on just before it started to rain here.

Took it for the initial test drive and it drove very nicely and has a lot of very smooth power. It is also almost completely silent.

I am going to try to get an initial dyno test Tuesday if I can get back on the dyno.

Then I will start tweaking the design and working out a few bugs. I want to redo one charge pipe routing for estetics more than anything.

Once that is done the parts will be removed and fixtures made to produce the parts. Once the production prototypes come back and the final test fitting is good then they will be installed on the truck and a final calibration adjustments will be made if needed and a final dyno.

G

#6 ·
Anxiously Waiting

#7 ·
So I received another update from Gadget today.

I won't quote him this time since I don't have anything official...it was more of an informal update.

What I can say is that the inital BEFORE dyno for him was 188-190whp, and the initial AFTER dyno showed over 300whp!:rocker: That is Stage I configuration running 4 wheels!

For future comparison when someone does research on FI on an FJ...According to Gadget the Rotrex C38-81 supercharger will over speed at 6,100rpm using the 70mm pulley and our stock crank pulleys. The C38-81's max is 90,000rpm. Gadget will be using the 80mm pulley for this Stage I setup, but I'm not sure if there are plans to move to the 75mm pulley for Stage II.

When I hear more, so will you. Things are definitely progressing nicely and coming out better than expected.

-Speed

#13 ·
Sorry, this supercharger kit will not fit the new version of the 1GR-FE engine found in the 2010 FJ and 2010 4Runner.

The good news is we have a 2010 4Runner here and we have started designing a kit for that new engine already. We hope to be able to release it near November. I just cannot have a Toyota truck without a supercharger system on it for very long...

Gadget

#17 ·
Parts can change from kit to kit. That's a good base to start understanding what can be expected in a Stage II setup, but until it is tested and officially put together use that as only guideline.

Talking to Gadget, I would say that Stage II for this kit will include Long tube Headers, Y-pipe, cat-back open exhaust (or as open as possible), and the 75mm pulley. Also, a 7th injector may be needed (the main difference). The capacity of the injectors used in the Stage I setup are still being tested. Gadget would need to give the details...I don't know how much room there is for higher boost without the 7th injector.

Obviously the new tune will be necessary.

-Speed

#18 ·
this sounds badass!!!!

#19 ·
I think I may just hold onto the FJ a little longer than I had planned. I already have the exhaust ......... stage II here I come. I imagine the pricing would be comparable to the tacoma MK II price? Any estimate on availability date?

#21 ·
Set-up at the passenger side does not look like it will support a Duel Battery location and the kit at the same time?

#23 ·
Good to know. Did you put the washer bottle somewhere else? Back here in the Land of Snow and Ice you need that thing on a daily basis.

I knew they ran the CAI different too. I'm not sure how you would hook that up to the ARB Snorkel. Oh well maybe one less mod equals more money for the supercharger.

#24 ·
At the moment my washer bottle is gone. I just clean the windscreen when i stop for gas or something. One day I may look at fitting something else in somewhere. As it stands, moving or trying to install naything in my engine bay is like playing tetris.

The first gen URD kit did not mate up to the snorkle (easily), at the moment, my snorkle just flows air into my engine bay lol. Its not connected to anything. I beleive this is fixed for the 2nd gen and it can work with a snorkle (thats what i read last time?)

this is how i palced my battery in my kit

#25 ·
I know this is a broad and general question but, How's progress so far!?

#30 ·
Our plan is to launch the updated supercharger kit and use the X-1 as the engine management solution. Its dynamic fuel control is really something and once you use that it is hard to go back to a conventional system.

On the prototype we are running the X-1, 61# primary injectors, and the URD Fuel pump/filter upgrade. The fueling is very close to stock to prevent the catalytic converters from melting down. In stage 2 the cats will be removed like on the Tacoma kit and it will be leaned out a bit and we should pick up another 40 RWHP or so.

No, we are not doing any EGT measuring on the FJ. We have done it in the past on other kits and we are using the same AFR and spark base tables as we do on our Tacoma kit and all that stuff has been sorted out over the last 4 years on the Tacoma.

The kit is done and removed from the truck and the different parts are out of bids and fixturing for production. I hope to be able to start taking orders in 3-4 weeks.

Gadget

#31 ·
What would this kit do to fuel economy? We are "supposed" to use 91 fuel anyway but for day to day use that isnt really necessary. I am assuming that you would need to use premium with this ser up, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.