Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

New FJ oil viscosity, amount, & type questions...

58K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  dsbike 
#1 ·
Picked up my brand new 2010 FJ today with 65 miles on the clock. I was at the parts counter at the dealer before I even drove home asking about what type of oil which he replied "5-30" and that the oil the dealer recommends is either Mobil or Castrol GTX and he said that Castrol is better (we're talking non-synthetic).

Fine, I write down the info and I'm on my way. I get home and lift the hood for the first time and notice on the oil fill cap that it says "0-20" and when I went to check the oil the dipstick (yellow handle) was showing the oil waay over the second notch. I wiped and checked the oil several times to make sure I was seeing things correctly as the oil was hard to see as it is so clean.

So the questions are: What kind and type viscosity rating are you using and what's up with the oil fill amount. I know he told me 5 1/2 quarts but according to the level it's way over.

Thank You,

Nervous new FJ owner - Dan

#2 ·
...oh yah and what about the new oil filter changing instructions? Anyone have a link to a video? I bought a filter insert at the dealer and the side of the box has some bizarro instructions like "stick the plastic straw into the opening to start the oil draining..." or something like that. I'm planning on changing the oil relatively soon like at 500 miles.

Thanks again,

Dan

#3 ·
5.5 qts and 5W30 dino at 5K OCI's is what the 2007-09 FJ's are spec'd for. The 2010 is spec'd for 6.4 qts., using 0W20 synthetic at 10K OCI's.

DEWFPO

#4 ·
There are several threads in the "Maintenance" section of this forum describing how to change the oil canister on the 2010's.

DEWFPO

#7 ·
Picked up my brand new 2010 FJ today with 65 miles on the clock. I was at the parts counter at the dealer before I even drove home asking about what type of oil which he replied "5-30"

And once again, a dealership drops the ball

As far as the overfill, most auto parts places carry those little plastic pumps with a hose small enough to thread down the dipstick tube. Sounds like the factory way overfilled it

Attachments

Reactions: Brian Vantana
#8 ·
i use 5w-30 Castrol Full synthetic... not sure any details on the Castrol, but i have heard numerous good things from countless parts stores about it. .. of course mine is a 2008 with the oil filter on top (very nice... easily accessible, and convenient, not sure why they changed that idea...

#11 ·
Because it's pain-in-the-ass messy....and you can't fill the filter then install it. But otherwise agreed...the location is convenient to get to.

#13 ·
Is 0w20 only available as a synthetic or is there a Dino flavor? I bought my '10 FJ as a Certified Used w/30,000 miles on it. The oil is super clean so my assumption (yikes) is that the oil and other services where preformed before it hit the used side of the lot. I want to carry a couple of spare quarts in the tote box just to have and as a piece of mind to have handy even if they are not needed.

Wally-World has 0w20 Mobil 1 in quart containers but not the 5 quart jugs. There wasn't even a shelf space that showed they carried the larger jugs. Same drill at AutoZone and O'Reilly's, no big jugs. (I had to stop at Hooter's on the way home to get that action)

Thanks in advance for any help.

#14 ·
FjandFU, Why would you want to use Dino? Even the worse brand of synthetic is better than the best brand dino oil. If it is cost, figure out what $4.50 a qt for dino compared to $6 for synthetic, at least double the mileage for oil changes & the dino will cost you more.

I use Amsoil 5-20. If I could not get the Amsoil I would use Royal Purple or Mobil 1. I just tore down a Jeep 4.0L with 200K that has alwys had Amsoil in it. My daughter drove it a little too long with the water pump broken & cracked either the head or block, not sure yet. After the tear down I found #3 piston gone I am sure caused by the 3 gallons of antifreeze in the block that locked it up. However the bearings on the piston rods & mains on the crank only showed minor wear. I believe had I been using dino oil the bearings would have been severly scared from the water bath they were sitting in. Also I do the extended mileage drain intervals, Once a year or 25K since I put this oil in at 11K when I bought the Jeep.

I also carry an extra qt of oil. The same qt has been in the back compartment for 27K miles. I have not needed to add any.

#15 ·
Did not state I was going to USE dino....I asked if it's available only in synthetic due to the fact that I've only seen it in synthetic. This way i don't mix it with dino IF the dealer had previously serviced it with dino 0w20. It's Sunday, the dealership and service dept. is closed so I thought I'd toss that question out there to entertaain myself. If there is no definitive answer, I will get with the dealer and find out that way.

Thank you for your concern and thoughts on the dino versus synthetic debate, the debate that will out live ****roaches when the world ends.

#16 ·
Sorry for my misunderstanding. I can fill in some info on mixing Dino with Synthetic as far as Amsoil is concerned. I would imagine the other brands are the under the same philosophy.
It is OK to mix dino with synthetic however you now must replace your oil & filter at the dino recommended oil change interval. I would only do this if I was in an extreme situation & could not get the synthetic. If you are unsure I would use the synthetic to be safe.
You are absolutely correct about the debate on syn vs dino & drain intervals.:argue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.