FJ is hitting the DYNO. Going to get some numbers on AIRRAID and Magnaflow Cat-Back. - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: FJ is hitting the DYNO. Going to get some numbers on AIRRAID and Magnaflow Cat-Back.

nice, can't wait to see the results!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Forum Regular

Re: FJ is hitting the DYNO. Going to get some numbers on AIRRAID and Magnaflow Cat-Back.

CosmicCruiser... "If you are going to drive in high water you MUST keep H20 out of the carbs when driving thru deep rivers."

Did you do a Holley Double Pumper retrofit on your FJ? I'd like to see the HP numbers on that

But I too am anxious to see dyno numbers before replacing my exhaust... thanks for doing this guys.
#13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Forum Regular

Can you squeek in a run with a drop-in K&N or TRD airfilter and the stock airbox? I've been dying to see if this has any effect at all on performance, since the Unichip dyno charts seemed to imply that the stock intake works better than an airraid. Well, with the engine bay all heatsoaked just sitting still on a dyno (I know they use a fan, but it aint enough) I wonder what the real-world difference is with correct cooling. Anyway, anyone else think that a drop-in filter will work better than a cone filter? Anyone think this is a stupid idea? If you need a loaner K&N, I'll ship you mine for a while since I have a TRD one in there right now. It takes about 30 seconds to change, you'd just have to burn up one of your dyno runs doing it. Any interest?
#14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Forum Regular

I have to say that the vast majority of these aftermarket air systems are a waste. The HP gain you get when new is negligible for the price, and it's been proven that if you don't keep the K&N / other oil&gauze type filters cleaned regularly that they'll UNDERPERFORM a clean paper filter. Others don't like the idea that the guaze can let far larger particles into the intake system over paper filters. I'm all about manifolds in many situations, and exhausts at least sound good, but you guys should find better things to do with your money than buy air intake systems.

BTW, I've been doing engine mods for a lot of years on CJs, BMW M series cars and a few other toys.

Adam

That being said, I DO want to see what the dyno sheets show from this stuff. I have a good idea what we'll see, but I am interested in whether or not low end torque is comprimised from the aftermarket cat-backs if backpressure is reduced. I like the sound of the Magnaflow though... just not sure if the sound is worth 500-600+ bucks.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Re: FJ is hitting the DYNO. Going to get some numbers on AIRRAID and Magnaflow Cat-Ba

Quote:
Hotrodguru previously said: View Post
Yep, figure it can't take more than 30 minutes or so.
I've done that before... once on my Corolla XRS. And let me tell you.. It was kinda tricky.. I'd do it at home once to kinda know what you're doing. You might now how to change cat backs but you don't know how to change the FJC's catback. I'm just saying so you're dyno day doesn't get ruined b/c you didn't have the right tool to install it.

Boooo!
#16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)
Re: FJ is hitting the DYNO. Going to get some numbers on AIRRAID and Magnaflow Cat-Ba

Quote:
K_os previously said: View Post
I've done that before... once on my Corolla XRS. And let me tell you.. It was kinda tricky.. I'd do it at home once to kinda know what you're doing. You might now how to change cat backs but you don't know how to change the FJC's catback. I'm just saying so you're dyno day doesn't get ruined b/c you didn't have the right tool to install it.
Will note, but having a lift, 2 boxes full of Snap-On's and air tools I should be alright. Well I hope so at least . I too don't think the numbers will be drastic but I'd like a throatier sounding exhaust.

A few things I've done on my Subbie

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - Front Bearing Replacement

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - Tranny/Clutch/Flywheel Guide
#17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:49 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had an AirRaid in my F150 Lightning and loved it.

Does the AirRaid add SOUND? In the L, in conjunction with the modded supercharger - well - heaven.

If the AirRaid added just 7-8HP, which is optimist, I'd get one just for the cool factor. Already have the TRD exhaust.
#18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Forum Master

I would like to see the lower rev numbers on a 4 wheel dyno with the MT someday for all these mods.

Side note, rumor is the state of OR is scrapping their smog dynos including a bunch of 4 wheel ones. No idea if these can be used for performance testing.
#19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Forum Superstar

Send a message via AIM to chrisngrod Send a message via Yahoo to chrisngrod

We're going to do a good ole fashion drag race.

Meet me on Kirby by Reliant at 1300 hrs. Light to light. Let's go GURU!

#20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
chrisngrod previously said: View Post
We're going to do a good ole fashion drag race.

Meet me on Kirby by Reliant at 1300 hrs. Light to light. Let's go GURU!
It's on BISH! Ahh reminds me of an old lunchtime callout race about a year back.

So yeah, we're having our yearly Halloween party at work and with all the competitive fun events going out someone starts with the racing. I'm faster yo, I'll take you down. It was all fun and games till my boy Ken Mack calls me out and says "You'll get Pwn3d!" I'm like is that soooooo, he's like "oh yeah". I'm like alright lets do this...lunch time! Next thing you know I get an email from him saying "bring your race gear!" I'm like ok, its ON!

As the lunch hour starts slowly creeping up I'm wondering what the outcome will be. Does the Guru still have what it takes? I'm I gonna get pwn3d and be the laughing stock at work? Will my massive failure be known throughout the company? All these questions running through my head. The time comes and for good measure I quickly down a Red Bull as I know this will surely give me wings. We line it up and I inch my wheel a tad bit forward trying to get an advantage off the line. The whistle is sounded and we're off. Right outta the gate I'm about 1 full length behind. I tuck in nicely as I've planned and invisioned in my mind all morning. Coming around the last corner I break outta the draft and give it my all, slowly I pull alongside and see the look of disappointment on my competitors face. He surely realizes his mistake in not downing the Red Bull I offered him as we were walking out to the parking lot. We're coming to the finish line and I cross about 2 lengths ahead.

That's right baby, back to work with the lovely feeling of victory!

Guru

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.