To replace or not replace charcoal canister - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
To replace or not replace charcoal canister

So I took my 07 Fj in to the dealership because I got a dreaded CEL and they diagnoised it as the charcoal canister had failed and vacuum pump unable to hold vacuum. They told me the cost to replace is $800!!!!

I'm contemplating on not replacing it due to cost and b/c I'm out in Canada where we don't have any emission law/testing to register our vehicles.

Looking for some advice. If I don't replace it, will affect my engine performance or damage the vehicle further in the long run? Should I just suck it up and replace it to prevent more expensive repairs later on?

Any input or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: To replace or not replace charcoal canister

I realize your in Canada and I don't know what the emissions laws are there, but it may be covered by the factory emissions warranty, depending on mileage.

Typically vacuum leaks in the EVAP systems are due to leaks in hoses, at hose connections or malfunctioning valves, not the canister itself.

It seems to me that if the canister was able to hold vacuum until now, and unless you damaged it off-road, it should be fine. They are made of plastic and don't rot like rubber hoses or malfunction like valves.

If the canister actually has a leak and you can locate it, you should be able to seal it with automotive grade silicon.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
#3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM

(Thread Starter)

No unfortunately the emission warranty is over. Vehicle has 128,000 kms on it. The hoses were checked and are all good. These are the codes that came up p043e, po43f, p2401, p2402, p2419. Under the Toyota bulletin, these codes mean the canister needs to be replaced.

I just want to know if there is a concern not replacing a faulty canister. Can I even just remove it completely.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Forum Regular

I'm posting from my iPhone so I can't include links, but I think a new canister would cost around $300 new or less at a junkyard. Considering the placement, it looks lime it would be a straightforward installation. I was recently speaking to a friend about these, and his idea was topping off causes failure over time. Overfilling while cool allows the gasoline to expand as it heats, with nowhere but the canister to go.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Forum Regular

The only thing it does is prevent gasoline vapors from venting to atmosphere. It has nothing to do with the fuel delivery system. I would say forget about it, but I don't know what you'd do to clear the codes.

googled your codes, found this thread - some useful info here even though its a scion forum
CEL - Codes P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, & P2419. - Scionlife.com

also this: http://www.toyotapart.com/M.I.L._ON_...T-EG040-06.pdf
#6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If the problem actually is the canister, then leaving it alone or removing it likely won't make much difference. You will still have the codes and the dash lights. Your engine performance won't be noticeably affected. Your best shot is to pick up a used one at a scrap yard if you can or from someone on ebay or craig's list that is parting one out.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
#7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Athena Send a message via MSN to Athena Send a message via Yahoo to Athena

it'll be fairly stinky too... a smell of rotten eggs is what I got from mine when the canisters went bad.

Intergalactic Planetary Invader of FJ Interwebz ~ EVIL TRUNK MONKEY

silly boy, gonna make you cry

^^^click it.. you know you wanna

"... I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ..."
#8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Forum Veteran

Supporting Member

Not to mention, doesn't the setting of the CEL also disable A-Trac & ABS?

07 FJ Voodoo Blue (The Nostromo)

TLCA# 18990
KF7QGC
#9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 PM

(Thread Starter)

Well if I leave it alone, I could
just keep clearing the cel codes with my scanner but it'll be a pain in the ass which is why I was thinking if I remove it, maybe the codes
wont reappear. Anyone have any experience with removing the canister? an how it affects the cel?

I also got another quote today from an independent repair shop and they were quoting me $1000!! Wtf! More than the stealership. They say the part alone is like $900. For a stupid plastic box with charcoal in it! Toyota should be ashamed of themselves.
Obviously buying these new is not an option. Illl check
the junkyard.

Thanks for all the inputs everyone.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Check with Black Gold in Nisku, they always have a good selection.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.