Custom Supercharger Pulley Advice for 5.7 FJ Build - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Custom Supercharger Pulley Advice for 5.7 FJ Build

Hey guys,

My name is Jaden, I am doing the 5.7 build on the Dark Horse FJ. I need some advice from those that have technical proficiency and experience with aftermarket pulleys and ECU for the TRD Setup in the 2nd Gen Tundra.

A machinist wants to custom machine a crank and supercharger pulley kit for the 3UR-FE.

The options:
1. Oversize the Crank Pulley
2.Undersize the Supercharger Pulley
3. Do a combination of both.

I am thinking option 3 is the best and would prevent slippage of the belt if the material taken off the Supercharger Pulley equaled the material being added to the Crank Pulley.

I know URD sold a Pulley for the FJ that did this.

Machinist statement: "- expected gains 35-50 HP conservatively"

(I have no way of verifying this claim as this hasn't been done or dyno tested)

Also I don't have numbers to the size adjustment in either pulley as this is experimental.

My Questions:
1. Since this has been done with the FJ is this a viable claim?
2. Would this in any way affect the Re-Flash on the ECU?
3. If this was done on the FJ, why hasn't it been done on the Tundra?
4. Can anyone see any other issues that could arise from this mod?
5. What are the boost estimates some of you experienced guys are thinking would be "safe" to go with. ( I don't want detonation, or the engine to blow)
6. This would help in the lower end to provide more torque right??
7. For the mathematicians out there: what would you say would be the best diameter for the Supercharger Pulley and Crank Pulley be in order to keep the adjustments between the two equal and provide a "safe" amount of additional boost?

Any technical guidance from those that possess this insane knowledge of math would be greatly appreciated.

Also if someone has actually done this or has a machine shop or specific vendor that does this kind of thing please let me know.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-03-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Spelling Error Corrections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Buggy Building Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Custom Supercharger Pulley Advice for 5.7 FJ Build

Quote:
Jaden previously said: View Post
My Questions:
1. Since this has been done with the FJ is this a viable claim? Any changes which overdrive the system will result in more boost..how much that correlates to depends on the pulley sizes and environmental conditions
2. Would this in any way affect the Re-Flash on the ECU? You'd be outside the bounds of any factory reflash with anymore than a couple hundred thou off the S/C pulley...add in the overdrive crank and you'll definitely need an aftermarket EMS. The factory ECU, on the FJ at least (guessing tundra as well), won't be able to compenstate for the additional boost.
3. If this was done on the FJ, why hasn't it been done on the Tundra?Are you sure it hasn't
4. Can anyone see any other issues that could arise from this mod? You'll need larger injectors I'm guessing. Not sure what size comes with the Tundra S/C, but I had to upgrade to 660's on the FJ with similar mods...TRD S/C pulley's are maxed out.
5. What are the boost estimates some of you experienced guys are thinking would be "safe" to go with. ( I don't want detonation, or the engine to blow)1GR its not recommended to go over the 11 psi you can get with undersized S/C pulley and oversized crank. Several folks have blown their engines beyond that so you'd need internal upgrades.
Really you should be asking this info on a Tundra forum, if you haven't already, since they will be better versed on the engine. Contact URD or APR since they are experts in building similar setups. Disclaimer - All my responses are based on a similar setup on my FJC's engine, not a Tundra.

The math is pretty straight forward. However, without any concept of what these engines can handle, EMS, etc. it is going to be difficult to give you a recommendation on resizing the pulley's for maximum potential.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Jaden previously said: View Post
I am thinking option 3 is the best and would prevent slippage of the belt if the material taken off the Supercharger Pulley equaled the material being added to the Crank Pulley.
Unless you are going from a 4" pulley to a 1" pulley on the supercharger, (more realistically it will be a much smaller difference) won't the tensioner pulley make up for the difference?
If you add a smaller diameter pulley on the TRD SC for the 1GR-FE you don't have to replace anything else (AFAIK)

(IMO, if you are doing an engine swap to a 5.7 with a supercharger that puts out 504HP and 550 ft/lbs, i would just keep it simple and run what has been tested. But thats just me.)

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623

Last edited by Layonnn; 10-03-2011 at 01:54 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Forum Regular

I have the TRD Supercharger on my Tundra, the engine, transmission, and transfer are near their practical torque limits at the 550 rating. Which in itself is impressive for stock 1/2 ton equipment. You will need to go inside the engine and install a minimum of new pistons if you want to take it further AND have reliabilty. I'll also mention that there is a lot more power on the table at the current boost level. Air flow/volume is where it is at, not psi. If you need any other info, just ask.

Brian
2011 Trail Teams (hers)
2008 Tundra SC AWD.
1993 FZJ80 4.6, 6MT, Orion 4:1
1985 4-runner
#5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all of your input. I have also talked to the Builder who has been servicing Toyota's for about 15 years.

Due to the lack of Data on this subject and lack of specialized aftermarket components such as pistons, crank, cams, etc., to make the internals stronger I think I am going to play it safe and just go with the original TRD package and stock internals for the engine.

Thanks again for your input.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Location: Ohio- Security isn't real by sentiment but Soldiers who have been trained in the use of Force!!
Quoted: 159 Post(s)

The real problem I ran into with my sequoia 5.7 supercharged was that below 40 degree it ran horrible even after toyota reflash. The supercharger in the 5.7 tundra/sequoia had so much power like a "G" that the computer fought the supercharger even after the TC and VSC were turned off. URD has knowledge about this issue. I hope you plan on replacing the rear end of the FJ because it won't last long with the 5.7 SC as its a lot of HP and TQ. What are you going to do with the hood the sequoia SC sits a lot higher than the Fj SC does I can't imagine how it would fit plus the air box connections will need to be modified you will probably have to reinforce the frame or it will twist and don't ever put it in 4x4 without a near by tow truck, Lots of mods will be required to keep it running. Good luck it will be a rocket for a while

If the SC FJ were compared to the SC tundra/sequoia the added OMG factor goes to the 5.7 motor. I was shocked at the difference with my sequoia and happy with my FJ SC very happy but NOT OMG stuck to my seat with the 5.7 SC

Thank you Vets

#7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Per the other thread, he is going to be running Tundra drive train in the FJ.

Quote:
FJ&TJ_Dude previously said: View Post
The real problem I ran into with my sequoia 5.7 supercharged was that below 40 degree it was horrible even after toyota reflash. The supercharger in the 5.7 tundra/sequoia had so much power like a "G" that the computer fought the supercharger even after the TC and VSC were turned off. URD has knowledge about this issue. I hope you plan on replacing the rear end of the FJ because it won't last long with the 5.7 SC as its a lot of HP and TQ. What are you going to do with the hood the sequoia SC sits a lot higher than the Fj SC does I can't imagine how it would fit plus the air box connections will need to be modified. Good luck it will be a rocket!!!

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Forum Superstar

Location: Ohio- Security isn't real by sentiment but Soldiers who have been trained in the use of Force!!
Quoted: 159 Post(s)

Quote:
Layonnn previously said: View Post
Per the other thread, he is going to be running Tundra drive train in the FJ.
Ya a single build thread would be more appropriate for bragging rights

Thank you Vets

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.