Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

High pitch whining noise at idle

37K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  FJarence 
#1 · (Edited)
I've noticed there is a high pitch whining noise that is present during idle and at low speeds, coming from the engine bay. I have done nothing to the engine except for an oil change last week. It's a 6mt with 42k miles. Any ideas?

I have a video clip of the sound. You may have to turn the volume up loud, but its definitely noticeable.

Can anyone identify this to be the pulleys?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've noticed there is a high pitch whining noise that is present during idle and at low speeds, coming from the engine bay. I have done nothing to the engine except for an oil change last week. It's a 6mt with 42k miles. Any ideas?
Somebody monkey with the air cleaner cover during the oil change? I always look for the obivous stuff first then I start sweating the expensive stuff! alternator, power steering pump...

#4 ·
Give it gas, does it get louder? I too think it's the pulleys.

#6 ·
Clean it out first then try belt dressings.

#7 ·
Tell my wife to get out of your truck....

Sorry, no real help but I couldn't resist!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#8 ·
maybe someone installed a secret supercharger? haha

its probably the pullies, have you gone through water or mud lately?

#12 ·
Actually sounds like something with intake. Not like the typical pulleys.

#15 ·
Have you figured out what this noise is cause i have the exact same noise that will go away for a day and then come back, has been doing this since august without getting worse. Doesn't usually start until a few minuets after start. Also starting to get a groaning/ vibrating sound from middle of dashboard on cold starts.

#16 ·
i get the same noise anyone figured it out yet?

#17 ·
Start with the basics so you don't spend money needlessly. KISS it .... Remove the belt from the pully's But first mark or make note of the install so you can put it back exactly the same with same rotation, inspect it for cracks and delamination then wash it in hot soapy water let dry before installing( or replace it).... While the belt is off start the truck and run for a couple of minutes and see if your sound is still there, if it is gone now you know your in the right area next hand turn all pulley's you can listening for noisey rough sound while turning this will help you narrow down the source where the sound is coming from and let you know if the belt or which pulley's are involved. Guessing and changing random parts is like a lottery, slim chance you win.

#19 ·
Running the engine without the serpentine belt wouldn't cause any damage to the engine?

#18 ·
Had the same issue on my 6mt... Just had the clutched replaced recently and the sound is gone. If I remember correctly it's an issue with the throw out bearing, which there was a TSB for. Toyota has since upgraded the necessary part so when I got the new clutch done at the dealer they installed the latest part. Do a search for throw out bearing....

#21 ·
I am having the same issue as we speak. I went off-roading in PA this past weekend at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Park and went into two deep mud holes. I was stuck in one of the mud holes for about 20 mins trying to get winched out. Once out....I noticed a whining noise and noticed that my voltage level was quickly dropping. Long story short, I had to tow my fj home as we could not find an auto part store in PA with an alternator at 4pm on Super Bowl Sunday. The following Monday I bought an alternator and battery. Still did not cure my problem. I now needed a new starter as well. So after the alternator/battery/starter swap and oil change and rear diff gear oil change, the Fj started up but I still here the whining noise. After reading the post above....I have not cleaned my engine well yet since it is so cold out but I feel like once I clean the pullies, I'm hoping that the noise goes away. I was stuck in mud for a good amount of time and my whole engine well is still muddy as hell. I will keep you guys posted once I can clean out the engine area. Thanks

#22 ·
I'm almost positive that this is the pulleys. Only happens when it's really cold and never once the engine has had a good heat soak. I have a fresh belt but noticed a small amount of play in the pulleys when I was replacing it. Now that it's 19 degrees out it's making a pretty rotten noise on decel and idle.

#23 ·
I went wheeling once and got it pretty wet. The belt and pulleys squeaked quite a bit afterwards. It even rained for like 3 days straight directly after the trip. It was bad enough I thought about replacing them. I gave it a week or two and pretty much all the noise went away!

#24 ·
Power steering fluid old? Steering Pump sound ok can you put a stethoscope to it?

#25 ·
I had the same sound on my truck which had 40k. Service advisor said he couldn't hear it but the service tech said he could hear it. It was louder during startup and would fade as engine was warmed up. It ended up being idler pulley and they replaced it with no cost to me.

#27 ·
I had that for about a month, then I drove through some deep water and the noise went away on its own & never came back...
I think it's something to do with the clutch because it changed tone when I pushed the clutch pedal in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.