smell of gas in oil, and losing some coolant - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
smell of gas in oil, and losing some coolant

been having some problems with my car about 2 years now. Today while checking my plugs (really fouled up), I noticed my coolant reservoir is between full and empty levels.... my oil levels, hmm not sure here maybe I'm going crazy, but I think it increased since the last oil change 3 weeks ago

I can't believe I'm saying this about a Toyota, but I think I will get rid of it soon

Can someone please diagnose these symptoms, the car is not running 100%, lost the top end it used to have

1 how can I check if I'm loosing coolant
2 why gas smell in oil <~ when I last changed oil, it looked ok, I mean I would see streaks of gasoline in it right?
3 what have I done to my car????:

Last edited by titaniumsilver; 11-03-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: smell of gas in oil, and losing some coolant

I'm no expert here, but when something similar happened to me it turned out to be a blown head gasket. I'm sure some experts here on the forum could help you narrow it down for sure.

2010 Iceberg 4x4
Convenience and Upgrade Packages
Curt Front Receiver, Scuba Driver Mod, Ricochet Skids, Husky Liners, Trail Gear Sliders, Wheeler's Offroad Daystar Lift\Leveling Kit, Interior LED Lights, Midland CB with Bandi Mount and 3' Firestick Firefly (102" whip on standby), Custom Rear Door Racks with QuickFists, Snorkel, Baja Basket, Cooper Discoverer AT3s 275/70/17 C-Load,
#3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
mudslinger previously said: View Post
I'm no expert here, but when something similar happened to me it turned out to be a blown head gasket. I'm sure some experts here on the forum could help you narrow it down for sure.
geez, I only have 23000 miles on the clock, never punished, except wot acceleration on the highway.....

and then with a head gasket you get white exhaust, mine looks ok, only white under wot
#4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
titaniumsilver previously said: View Post
geez, I only have 23000 miles on the clock, never punished, except wot acceleration on the highway.....

and then with a head gasket you get white exhaust, mine looks ok, only white under wot
Give some of the better experienced guys a chance to chime in and hopefully it's a quick diagnosis and easy fix. I blew mine in a diesel car over 15 years ago and if I recall correctly the symptoms were pretty similar to yours. I think it all depends on exactly where the breach in the gasket occurs. I remember thinking -- wow, how did I get more oil than I put in, and then the symptoms got worse and worse. After the symptoms progressed (white smoke, coolant drop, etc.) I finally realized something was really wrong while sitting at a stoplight and wondering why water was shooting into the intersection. Apparently, my head gasket breach expanded and was pressurizing the coolant system and the water I saw was shooting out of my coolant resivoir. I only mention this because if I had brought this into the shop sooner it could have all been fixed with a new gasket. I kept going and caused a lot more costly damage. Again, hopefully some others will chime-in with some more current and experienced advice

2010 Iceberg 4x4
Convenience and Upgrade Packages
Curt Front Receiver, Scuba Driver Mod, Ricochet Skids, Husky Liners, Trail Gear Sliders, Wheeler's Offroad Daystar Lift\Leveling Kit, Interior LED Lights, Midland CB with Bandi Mount and 3' Firestick Firefly (102" whip on standby), Custom Rear Door Racks with QuickFists, Snorkel, Baja Basket, Cooper Discoverer AT3s 275/70/17 C-Load,
#5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

With only 23000 on it your covered under warranty. Sounds like a possible head gasket. Take it in and get it fixed!

MY BUILD THREAD
THE SPACE CRUISER

Thanks to the following people and companies that have contributed to my build:

Arien and Jason @ Demello Offroad
Doc @ Springtail Solutions
Krista and Peter @ Moto Alliance
TLCA# 20167

http://www.ricochetoffroad.com/

Quote:
Get_Lost previously said: View Post

I'll believe that corporations are people when Texas executes one of them.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Definitely sounds like a head gasket or warped head. Should still be under warranty. My friend had the same symptoms on his celica
#7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bad injectors would be my first guess. To diagnose you would need a compression test.
23k go to the dealer and drop it off. Do not touch the motor. Heck I would put the stock plugs back in b4 you go to the dealer.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

If your losing coolant, any shop can pressure test your system to see if there is a leak and where it's going.

You shouldn't have any white smoke (at any throttle position) once the exhaust system has heated up enough to burn off any condensation.

If your oil level is going up and your oil smells of gasoline you may have a sticking fuel injector. You won't see gasoline in your oil, it mixes well and some of it (the lighter hydrocarbon chains) 'boil' off to some degree once the oil temp is high enough. As it boils off, the 'fumes' are burned in the engine via the crankcase ventilation system.

You can send off an oil sample and have it tested and they will tell you what's in your oil.

A.) How many spark plugs did you check?
B.) Did you take pics of them?
C.) Describe "really fouled up"?
D.) Do you drive a lot of short trips (1-2 miles)?

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
#9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:55 AM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
DEWFPO previously said: View Post
If your losing coolant, any shop can pressure test your system to see if there is a leak and where it's going.

A.) How many spark plugs did you check?
B.) Did you take pics of them?
C.) Describe "really fouled up"?
D.) Do you drive a lot of short trips (1-2 miles)?

DEWFPO
I checked all spark plugs, all fouled up see pics, oil on threads, carbon/oil sludge on the electrode

I drive relativelly short trips but few times a week I drive 100miles or more too

what should be proper compression?
how can I check which injector might be bad?

#10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 AM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

how much is head gasket anyway part and cost of replacement?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.