Tuning... - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tuning...

Does anyone know of any shops in the Washington state area that can tune the FJ? I have done on all the bolt on mods that I plan to and was wondering if I can take it somewhere and have it tuned or if I need to chip or piggy back it in order to get it tuned. Any info would be appreciated, btw I have an '07 auto. Thanks!
PascoMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Tuning...

Think all cars built in last 10 years have ECU that will automaticly adjust for CAI, Cat Back, and bigger throttle body mods. Harley Davidson MC's are only ones that still need ECU programing for those mods that I know of Today.
To tweek your ECU for highter MPG (less HP)or greater HP & Torque (lower MPG)you will need to program your ECU. ECU does not adjust for different sized tires or gearing.

Purchased July 15, 2011
4 x 4 with 5 Speed Auto
Quicksand
With Roof Rack, Comfort, Convenience, & Upgrade Pak
Added: Bumper lights with low beam hack, In bumper Fog lights (Swiss Army's) TRD Oil cap, factory trailer hitch with 4 flat plug. Thule rack adapter for skis, boats, & bikes. DeMello Hibrid bump out Sliders with mesh, axe, shovel, high lift jack. Gobbi Lader so 9yr. old can get to ski box. Cooper snows on 16's for winter.
nickfromny is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Buggy Building Moderator
 
FJNewb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 17,603
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Tuning...

Quote:
PascoMan previously said: View Post
Does anyone know of any shops in the Washington state area that can tune the FJ? I have done on all the bolt on mods that I plan to and was wondering if I can take it somewhere and have it tuned or if I need to chip or piggy back it in order to get it tuned. Any info would be appreciated, btw I have an '07 auto. Thanks!
Need an aftermarket EMS or programmer. Don't know that'd I spend the money for a proper one tho if you are just doing bolt on mods which the ECU can adapt to. If going with boost or changing the displacement it makes a lot more sense to spend the money on an EMS.
FJNewb is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Forum Veteran
 
D-Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Richland, WA
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Re: Tuning...

Quote:
PascoMan previously said: View Post
Does anyone know of any shops in the Washington state area that can tune the FJ? I have done on all the bolt on mods that I plan to and was wondering if I can take it somewhere and have it tuned or if I need to chip or piggy back it in order to get it tuned. Any info would be appreciated, btw I have an '07 auto. Thanks!
I have heard about this local shop KAIZENSPEED | KAIZENSPEED

It's out in Kennewick

110 N. Gum St., Kennewick, WA 99336
(509) 585-0900
sales@kaizenspeed.com

I don't know know anything about the place other than they build a lot of turbo imports. If they can't do it, they would know where to go.

2007 Voodoo AT, MF-50 compressor, AP Sliders, Kenwood D710A VHF/UHF
Lift - 3" Toytec Ultimate Lift
Tires - 285/70R17 Goodyear DuraTracs
KE7ZMC 73's
D-Rock is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Forum Veteran
 
Zed 71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Tuning...

Quote:
FJNewb previously said: View Post
Need an aftermarket EMS or programmer. Don't know that'd I spend the money for a proper one tho if you are just doing bolt on mods which the ECU can adapt to. If going with boost or changing the displacement it makes a lot more sense to spend the money on an EMS.
Yes the ECU will adapt but it will not be to fully optimize for power. IMO a controller and dyno tune (assuming proper bolt ons) would net a good relative increase but at what price ($/hp)?

OP, good luck and let us know what you find. I haven't seen any bolt on mods, tune, and dynos for these engines (not that I looked that hard).

2012 TT 6MT: ICON Extended Travel Coil Overs, Icon Rear Lift, Total Chaos UCAs, Skyjacker Links, Richochet/All Pro Skid Plates, Flowmaster 50 Series, TRD Intake Element, Freedom Windows, Bandi CB Mount, 55W 5000k HIDs, Interior Zombie Lights.

Zed 71 is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Tuning...

Agree, With boost a tune will required.

Purchased July 15, 2011
4 x 4 with 5 Speed Auto
Quicksand
With Roof Rack, Comfort, Convenience, & Upgrade Pak
Added: Bumper lights with low beam hack, In bumper Fog lights (Swiss Army's) TRD Oil cap, factory trailer hitch with 4 flat plug. Thule rack adapter for skis, boats, & bikes. DeMello Hibrid bump out Sliders with mesh, axe, shovel, high lift jack. Gobbi Lader so 9yr. old can get to ski box. Cooper snows on 16's for winter.
nickfromny is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Forum Regular
 
Dequiallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Tuning...

Quote:
Zed 71 previously said: View Post
Yes the ECU will adapt but it will not be to fully optimize for power. IMO a controller and dyno tune (assuming proper bolt ons) would net a good relative increase but at what price ($/hp)?

OP, good luck and let us know what you find. I haven't seen any bolt on mods, tune, and dynos for these engines (not that I looked that hard).
URD has stuff to tune the FJ motor, provided you have a 2007-2010. 2011 and newer is a no go for anyone so far.

Underdog Racing Development
Dequiallo is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:18 AM
Forum Veteran
 
Yamaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yamaji is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 AM
Buggy Building Moderator
 
FJNewb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 17,603
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Tuning...

Go with the x1 or ucon...you are not going to get anywhere near as much out of unichip.

Quote:
Yes the ECU will adapt but it will not be to fully optimize for power. IMO a controller and dyno tune (assuming proper bolt ons) would net a good relative increase but at what price ($/hp)?

OP, good luck and let us know what you find. I haven't seen any bolt on mods, tune, and dynos for these engines (not that I looked that hard).
Of course it won't...it will have a conservative tune compared to any standalone which allows you to dial things in and modify fuel/ignition in more detail. But for the extra 10-15hp you are going to get one would really need to decide if spending $1500 is worth it.
FJNewb is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Forum Veteran
 
wsfahmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Tuning...

Quote:
Dequiallo previously said: View Post
URD has stuff to tune the FJ motor, provided you have a 2007-2010. 2011 and newer is a no go for anyone so far.

Underdog Racing Development
URD's Ucon is only compatible with pre 2010 motors not with the dual VVTI motor.

Only other decent option is UNICHIP as of now
wsfahmed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome