Electric Supercharger - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM
fka BLACK HAWK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Electric Supercharger

I don't have the green for a TRD and after a random google search I would love to put this in-between my airaid box and throttle body. If only it were available... Valeo's electric supercharger targeted for 2015-16 production

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Step~Cal FJ's
" They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Electric Supercharger

-Nick

#3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Location: Ohio- Security isn't real by sentiment but Soldiers who have been trained in the use of Force!!
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

not for me but maybe for a 1000cc motorcycle.

I just read an article that showed if you sold your vehicle that gets from 10-14 mpg for a vehicle that gets 30mpg and spent an additional $10,000 it the would take in most instances over four years to recoup the $10,000..

Thank you Vets

#4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Xx_Black-out previously said: View Post
Save me a seat
#5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Electric superchargers have been out for a long time and in the automotive world they are a joke. Let me explain:

People have no concept of how much power a modern engine produces when compared to a electric motor. The supercharger on the fj will eat 35hp at moderate boost levels. Sure the net result is a power increase, however if the supercharger was driven by a electric motor, you would see a even greater gain in power (all a super charger is at a basic level is a high volume low to medium pressure air compressor). It's long been thought that adding a electric motor to drive a supercharger would be the be all end all solution to gain more power and better efficiency. It's not going to work though, and that's simple math. If it takes a engine 35 hp to turn a supercharger to produce a 100 to 140whp gain, it's going to take a 35hp electric motor to provide the same power. A 35hp electric motor will not fit under the hood and would require 2,000 amps at 12.5 volt worth of power.

Even turbochargers (which are way more efficient then a supercharger) require a tremendous amount of energy (in the form of exhaust gas from a engine that's nothing more then a large air compressor itself). Even if you made some sort of 100% efficient electric drive centrifugal blower, it will never be able to provide enough volume or pressure to make anything but one or two hp and possibly slightly better fuel economy.

A large shop air compressor with a 7hp motor would draw 400 amps at 12.5 volts. And that compressor could not even produce enough volume at 7psi for a 1.8 Honda motor. A leaf blower could provide a larger volume of air, but at full engine throttle it wouldn't even be able to produce .25 psi on that same Honda motor (it would become a restriction). There is not free lunch.

Btw the fjs 265hp engine is equal (at max output) to 197,600 watts of electrical energy. That wattage at 12.5 volts is equal to 15,800 amps draw. The same amp pull as running 34 big winches at once, at 100% max pull.

Project Broccoli 2011 TT 6MT, ICON, TOTAL CHAOS, AND MOREhttp://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...mus-prime.html
#6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Buggy Building Moderator

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Greggry, same was said about electric motors being used to replace shock absorbers when it came to issues related to response time not to long ago. Been used in the application since 08 for active suspensions, but nothing on the commercial side yet.

Expensive sure, feasible in the future, I beleive so. Just a matter of technology progressing. Judging that some OEMs have bought in for certain applications I see it moving that way which only benefits automotive enthusiasts in the future as another option

Last edited by FJNewb; 02-24-2013 at 06:43 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is the electric motor it would take to power the supercharger on the fj to directly replace bing crank driven. MARATHON ELECTRIC Hazardous Loc Mtr,3 Ph,TEFC,40 HP,T3B - 6KWH6 - Grainger Industrial Supply. 40hp motor that bigger then half the size of the engine. And at 3phase 460 volt it pulls almost 50 amps. Brought down to a very inefficient 12.5 volts and your talking a easy 1,800 amps worth of power. You would have to run much higher voltage otherwise your power cable would be unreal.

Even if you used a electric supercharger that could produce the volume and pressure needed to replace a normal blower on a car, and it only used 7hp, your still talking 400+ amps at 12.5 volts. That's 400 amps anytime the motor is under 100% max load. You would have to have 500amps minimum of alternator power to run a system like that. Hopefully this opened your eyes a bit.

Project Broccoli 2011 TT 6MT, ICON, TOTAL CHAOS, AND MOREhttp://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...mus-prime.html
#8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
#9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:57 PM
fka BLACK HAWK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

just thought it was interesting was all. I'm an outside of the box thinker, not a cookie cutter or a cow that follows the general crowd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Step~Cal FJ's
" They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true "
#10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 203 Post(s)

If you want Forced Induction but not the expense, I imagine you could go with a simple dry nitrous system. I never see much discussion about the FJ and N20.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.