timing advance? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
timing advance?

I have a Nissan Titan and a 350 Z. Both have benefited from a trip to the dealer and a 2 degree advance in the timing. Has anyone tried to advance a FJ? If so, what were the results. It only takes 30 seconds to do, and with my titan I gained between 10 -12 HP. I only gained 3 or 4 in the Z. This is a huge topic in a Titan forum, and everyone that has done it has seen a power and torque increase.

"See Warriors, see what you get when you mess with the Orphans?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: timing advance?

I set most of my other vehicles a little advanced, but haven't fiddled with the FJC timing while it's still under warranty. Most factory timing is very conservative and it does help to advance it.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bostonian1976

hmm..........can you really advance the timing on this type of ignition?

MT6 Titanium

ARB roof rack, BFG AT KO's, Demello sliders, skid (bling) plate, TRD exhaust, VIP, UR2, and side airbags.

--
'64 Land Rover Series IIa Station Wagon

--

Come to the 2008 FJ Summit!! http://www.fjsummit.org
#4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:43 AM
THE ROCK

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage

Ok so if you advance the timing. Would you want to disconnect the battery to make the computer relearn? Just a thought.

"The Rock"
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...8490-rock.html

WikidfJ Partially retired
Wikid link
#5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Bostonian1976 previously said: View Post
hmm..........can you really advance the timing on this type of ignition?

You'd have to do it through the ECM, as there is no distributor on the 1GR-FE.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Taz
Forum Veteran

Don't forget advancing the timing will not have much benefit unless you have the octane to support it. It is likely Toyota was already fairly agressive here since the recommended using premium in the first place to get the HP numbers they claim. I am not saying there might not be more to be gained but if you ever had to run lower octane you might get a fair amount of pinging until the ECU recalibrated itself.

------------------------------------------
6MT - After enough repetition, even the wittiest signature becomes boring.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to SglDad904

On the Nissans you can use the Consult I, II, or III to advance it through the PCM/ECM.

*If* you could do it manually and make the ECM accept the change, you would do it through the C.A.S./C.P.S. (Crank Angle Sensor or Crank Position Sensor) which is effectively tells the PCM where the valvetrain is in it's cycle and ergo, when to fire.

It's just a Hall Effect sensor utilizing a magnet and a pin.

Most engines have a range of acceptable initial ignition advance. Like for example 15 degrees BTDC with a +/- value or range of 2 degrees.

If that's the case, depending on the ron/mon value of gasoline you have available, you could possibly set the timing to 17 degrees *if* you use 93. (Advancing it 2 degrees beyond the factory spec)

If you live in Cali and only have 92, it would be prudent to stay with 15 or 16.

colnajoe's point is, if OE spec is, say 13 because of standard production variances, and you're running, say, 93, as 1911 states, you're not taking advantage of the higher octane (slower burning) fuel that the advanced ignition would utilize to make more power bottom end and midrange.

I don't give a fat baby f_ _ k about top end power on this application, I want bottom end and midrange grunt, and as much as I can get within reasonable parameters of the original design.

I would, however, reduce it to the bottom (13) or at most, midrange (14) of OE design when supercharging, providing there's not a replacement ECM with the upcoming blower. Even then, I would only want it *exactly* at OE specs.

Again, sorry for such a long post.

If anyone knows how we can adjust the timing, please chime in here. TIA

FWIW, I haven't researched what the spec timing is on this engine, I'm just using 13-15 as an example. That example is for a Nissan SR20DE(T)

Last edited by SglDad904; 02-03-2007 at 10:04 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:15 AM

I'll have to ask some of my buddies about advancing the timing but not sure. cali doesn't have 92 anymore it down to 91 now.

07 FJ TRD
TRD EXHAUST&CAI,REAR CARGO COVER,ICON REMOTE FRONT COILS,PIGGY BACK REARS,&REAR SPRINGS

08 TUNDRA CM 4X4

06 TACOMA 4X4 DCLB
HOES ALL AROUND,AFE STAGE 2 INTAKE,BANKS EXHAUST,DEMELLO SLIDERS,URD Y-PIPE,33BFG MT,BLACK PRO-COMP RIMS

88 TOY 4X4
DOWNEY LIFT,32BFG MT,DOA RACING HEAD(sold)

91 SW20
CUSTOM GT30 TURBO ALL CERAMIC,HKS DUAL SUPER DRAGGER EXHAUST,MSD,TRD WIDE-BODY(sold)

85 AE86
20 VALVE BLACK TOP 4AG,T3 COILOVERS ALL AROUND,&4-LINK IN THE REAR,TRD RACE MUFFLER
#9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to Son of a Son

Quote:
SglDad904 previously said: View Post
On the Nissans you can use the Consult I, II, or III to advance it through the PCM/ECM.

*If* you could do it manually and make the ECM accept the change, you would do it through the C.A.S./C.P.S. (Crank Angle Sensor or Crank Position Sensor) which is effectively tells the PCM where the valvetrain is in it's cycle and ergo, when to fire.

It's just a Hall Effect sensor utilizing a magnet and a pin.

Most engines have a range of acceptable initial ignition advance. Like for example 15 degrees BTDC with a +/- value or range of 2 degrees.

If that's the case, depending on the ron/mon value of gasoline you have available, you could possibly set the timing to 17 degrees *if* you use 93. (Advancing it 2 degrees beyond the factory spec)

If you live in Cali and only have 92, it would be prudent to stay with 15 or 16.

colnajoe's point is, if OE spec is, say 13 because of standard production variances, and you're running, say, 93, as 1911 states, you're not taking advantage of the higher octane (slower burning) fuel that the advanced ignition would utilize to make more power bottom end and midrange.

I don't give a fat baby f_ _ k about top end power on this application, I want bottom end and midrange grunt, and as much as I can get within reasonable parameters of the original design.

I would, however, reduce it to the bottom (13) or at most, midrange (14) of OE design when supercharging, providing there's not a replacement ECM with the upcoming blower. Even then, I would only want it *exactly* at OE specs.

Again, sorry for such a long post.

If anyone knows how we can adjust the timing, please chime in here. TIA

FWIW, I haven't researched what the spec timing is on this engine, I'm just using 13-15 as an example. That example is for a Nissan SR20DE(T)

A fellow Silvia fan? Good to know another. I still miss mine sometimes.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to SglDad904

Quote:
midengine3sgte previously said: View Post
I'll have to ask some of my buddies about advancing the timing but not sure. cali doesn't have 92 anymore it down to 91 now.
Oh no, when did that happen? 2006?

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

It's *amazing* what one octane point does to ignition timing calibration on boosted applications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.