dyno numbers for TRD and AFE CAI - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
dyno numbers for TRD and AFE CAI

I found these numbers in 2 different magazines. Anyway, here they are. AFE's numbers where 13 horsepower and 21 pound feet of torque. The TRD gave 15 horsepower and 25 pound feet of torque. I think that the AFE was lower because it draws in warmer air from the engine bay along with the cold air from the fender. Otherwise I would think that the numbers would be identical. Anyway, enjoy!!!

Zane

'07 Black Cherry 5AT, CQ, GY, UR, C8, 2Q, 37, C7, added Toyota ski rack attachments, passenger armrest, 2 rear door storage nets, K&N drop in filter, and a Cyclone air prefilter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
Re: dyno numbers for TRD and AFE CAI

So, now that you know the numbers which CAI would you get?

Zane

'07 Black Cherry 5AT, CQ, GY, UR, C8, 2Q, 37, C7, added Toyota ski rack attachments, passenger armrest, 2 rear door storage nets, K&N drop in filter, and a Cyclone air prefilter
#3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Z'sFJ previously said: View Post
So, now that you know the numbers which CAI would you get?

Zane
The real question is: "Is two HP worth an extra $50?"

Just my take, but I became biased when I couldn't get a TRD intake for less than $300 bones. You can call me cheap but there are a lot of mods to get done!

Mechanical Engineering Designer.
Machinist. Flight Instructor. FJ Driver.

www.ellisprecision.ca

I will be offline from July 26th to August 10th inclusive. Thank you for your patience! - Joel
#4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Smile Re: dyno numbers for TRD and AFE CAI

If you really believe that you will gain 13 to 15 horsepower by changing the air intake system, you should also buy and install one of those "Tornadoes". Then you could really climb some steep hills.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SavageX25

A cold air intake feeds more air into the engine, you can notice this the second after you've installed one and floored it. More air flow = more horsepower. I without a doubt notice that my FJ is faster than it was before and much more responsive. Going 60 on the highway and slamming it before barely did anything, now when I slam it going 60 the engine area shakes and it just floors up to that 100 mph mark :-P, masterzee, I'm going to take a wild shot...you don't have the CAI do you? I've also seen these Dyno tests comparing the TRD CAI to the AFE and seen the same results or close to the same results. I hate the aFe one because of that opening, and if you go deep in water...it would SUCK to have that hole suck up water. Cold Air Intakes make a drastic difference, however technically the STOCK Intake on the FJ is a cold air intake, it just doesn't have the box which delivers much more air into the engine (and the filter that is less restrictive). I remember my Dad's M3 BMW, when he added the CAI that thing took off like a bat out of hell, I noticed the difference instantly, he didn't even have to tell me.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Check this thread out for some factual numbers. Not sure where the "magazines" you refer to got their numbers. Were they ad's?

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...pdxtuning.html
#7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

The magazines that I was refering to are 4WD Toyota Owner and Motor Trend's Truck and SUV. Both CAI's where listed as new parts. None-the-less, people now have an idea as to what these two CAI's can possibly do for their rig in terms of power. Maybe they aren't 'factual', but it is better than nothing. Don't you think?

Zane

#8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:11 AM
Forum Regular

I remember a net gain below 5 rwhp the last time I read an actual dyno sheet before and after a cold air system install on a FJ. Not all vehicles benefit drastically from this mod.

2007 4X4 FJ AT

Keep your chin up, at least you're not driving a Chrysler product....

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.