Purolator - Wix Oil filter question - bypass valve & oversized filters & cold weather - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Purolator - Wix Oil filter question - bypass valve & oversized filters & cold weather

I've come across an interesting finding when researching which filter to use.

The recommended WIX is 51348.
The recommended purolator PureOne is PL12021.

I've also found that many Tundra owners are using an oversized PureOne (PL30001)

When I look up the specifications of those three filters, the bypass valve specs are :

WIS 51348 : 8-11 psi
PureOne PL12021 : 12-17 psi
PureOne PL30001 : 8-16 psi

Questions :
1. Besides the fact that an oversized filters will require a bit more oil, are there any reason NOT to use an oversized filter?
2. What to make of these bypass valve specs? What setting is specified by Toyota?
3. Is a lower bypass setting better more oil would reach the engine during cold start?
4. Or is a higher bypass setting better because the more oil would be spent going through the filter media
5. Should we be using different filters in cold vs warm weather? For example, in cold weather, use the one with a lower bypass valve setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 05:55 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Re: Purolator - Wix Oil filter question - bypass valve & oversized filters & cold weather

Wow, you're really into researching oil filters. 1. I had always used the large oil filter in my small block Chevy but in my FJC I'm usig the PureOne PL12021. 2. That I didn't know, whatever the specs call for on the oem filter. 3. That has nothing to do with cold start. Bypass setting is for clog filter. 4. I would tend to agree on that one. 5. Never heard of that one my$.02

#3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Forum Veteran

Re: Purolator - Wix Oil filter question - bypass valve & oversized filters & cold weather

Go ahead and use em. Wix acutally had an "Off Road" filter similar to the PureOne offered by Purolator. I'm not sure if it is still available but could check out if your looking to go with each companies best filter.

Question though, why the bigger filter needed? Crumby oil, no air filter, alot of water fording and contaminants in your oil? Swapping filters is usually done because your in a pinch. If the right one is offered why not use it.

The boys and I want you to have this, it's a little momento, it's a Chiefs key ring, you can buy these in stores.

4 KC LIGHTS ON STALLION ACCESSORIES LIGHT BAR
3" ROUGH COUNTRY LIFT
285 70R 17 Pro Comp Severe Weather AT's
Airaid Intake
#4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Purolator - Wix Oil filter question - bypass valve & oversized filters & cold wea

As long as it has a good anti-drain back valve you should be o.k. If not, a bigger filter takes longer to fill each start. See my previous post.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ed-filter.html

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
#5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 AM

Its not a big deal really what you use. The Eng never drops below 15psi. No filters are are true "full flow". The only way to catch what bypasses the filter is to use a secondary or "bypass" filter that filters the oil off the main gally and return it to the oil pan. Not worth the install.\

ReeferMadness
#6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FJ Gooch

have you thought about using the toyota oversized filter such as a V8.
i use the toyota V8 filter which part number is #90915-YZZD3
and just use 5.8 to 6 qts of oil. i use the the Lexus 5w-30
hope that helps some

Mods
Scuba / breather
DRL switch
Body mount chop
CB radio with Bandie mount
Fog lights
Pro Comp 6" lift
Pro Comp Extreme Mud Terrains 35X12.5 R18
Lowered front diff

Mods to come
ARB's front and rear 4.56 gears
ARB's fron air locker and compressor
Road Armor front winch bumper with brush guards
and what ever else my credit card can afford
#7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 AM

(Thread Starter)

Well, the reason I thought it might be better to use the WIX filter in cold weather is that oil thickens up when cold. During cold start, with the WIX filter, the bypass valve would open sooner allowing oil to reach the engine sooner.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
okayfine previously said: View Post
... in cold weather is that oil thickens up when cold.

Use a good quality synthetic oil of the appropriate viscosity and you won't have that problem.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Forum Superstar

i have read some reviews on oil filters just now and see wix is up there and fram is out. has there been a poll on oil filters? i am going to start changing my own. and looking for highest rated . by fj owners. input? sorry didn't mean to rob a thread

"Why do you carry a 45?". The Ranger responded with, "Because they don't make a .46."
#10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
stringmachine previously said: View Post
...looking for highest rated . by fj owners. input?

I use Amsoil Absolute Efficiency P/N EaO57. I also like and have used in the past Mobil 1 and Purolator PureOne filters.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.