Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

URD Spec-U Exhaust

20K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  jamesepoop 
#1 ·
Slightly different application 2014 4runner but same DVVTI motor. Since there are no reviews on this site yet I figure some of you may appreciate it.

Review:

Professional installation highly recommended. Hangers and rear bracket will need to be bent. Additionally, a heat shield bolt above the axle over pipe will need to be cut off, (you will notice the rattle after installation).

Very loud at WOT. There is a drone at 2500 rpm going 70 mph. This is a deal breaker for many of you. Below 2500 rpm the drone is barely noticeable. I may consider swapping a bigger magnaflow in at some point down the line... For now it's perfect!

On the butt Dyno there are definitely gains. Immediately noticed improvement in low end - which is the purpose of this equal length system. I will get this on the Dyno soon. Tried installing it immediately after the baseline stock run but the tuner shop couldn't do it. It needed a professional exhaust shop to make the minor adjustments necessary.

Overall very happy with the system.
-Performance? Exceeds expectations. Dyno pending.
-Sound? Loud at WOT. Low rumble at start up, idle, and cruising speed. No rasp, but there is a drone at 2500 rpm 70 MPH.
-Looks? In my opinion, best looking exhaust on the market period.
-Quality? Great. Due to the minor modifications required.

Vids:

https://youtu.be/QHcqLbeARqE

https://youtu.be/zLLLw7t803E

https://youtu.be/s2N39zbMXrs

https://youtu.be/EgJjPbRGkPY

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Did you special order the ceramic coating, or was that standard? I ordered mine for a 2007 FJ a couple months ago and everything is just plain SS, no ceramic coating.

I agree with your review, it's a great system. On the FJ I don't think professional install is needed, I didn't have to bend any hangers or modify any brackets. I did modify the axle over pipe to try and get the exhaust tip tucked up higher. On the FJ it's supposed to be a "high-tuck" system, but it hangs below the rear frame rail and thus my rear bumper.

On the 2007 FJ engine I don't notice any drone, I think it's actually quieter on the highway than my old TRD exhaust. Could also be my mud tires and the general aerodynamics of the FJ, it's not a quiet vehicle to begin with.

I'd monitor your rear driveshaft t-case side u-joint and slip joint. The FJ y-pipe crosses the same spot as yours and after a few thousand miles it burnt all the grease out of my u-joint and slip joint. I plan to wrap the y-pipe in header wrap in that area.

I do have a slight rattle, mostly just when the truck idles. Still haven't tracked it down.

#7 · (Edited)
Sorry I should clarify... I got the y pipe ceramic coated at performance coatings. I figured it would help reduce heat and increase the longevity of the surrounding components.

I had the same rattle at idle. Its the heat shield over the axle over pipe. Clearance there is tight. You have to cut one of the bolts off and bend the heat shield or cut it out of the way.

I had the TRD on my 07 FJ supercharged, icon lifted on 305 pro comps... This is definitely louder. But as someone pointed out on the 4Runner forum, the tone might change over time. Sure enough... It's starting to quiet down. I am still in week one post installation. Will see where it settles out. I have some dynamat I can throw in the cargo area.

Scheduled a post installation Dyno run on Saturday. I saw that on a 4th gen 4Runner the competition y pipe freed up about 28 rwhp and 26 rwtq at the end of the curve, (Link below. Look at Lucario's run post edit). I'm sure you agree that the gains on the butt Dyno for this spec u system are pretty ridiculous for an exhaust. Just getting the Dyno to confirm what I already know... The gains are all over the rpm range not just the top of the curve.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/n-a-power-gains-dynos-w-mods.229882/

#9 · (Edited)
Good eye. You're close... It's ADV.1's Jordan Swerdloff's old company called 360 forged. The one off design is based on an ADV.1 wheel but not the same.

is that a ADV1 wheels on the 4runner? i would love to see more pics!

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks, I'll take a look at that heat shield. With my 1" body lift I assumed I'd have plenty of clearance, but may need to take a second look at it.

How much did the ceramic coating cost? Definitely cleaner than header wrap, but it all depends on the cost for me.

I agree there are some power gains through eliminating the second set of cats, though I'm not sure how pronounced they are on mine since I have a supercharger. I need to remove my front cats to go with a Stage 2 tune and really see the power benefit.

FJ Bruzer yes, this removes the second set of cats. Doesn't require any O2 simulators or throw any codes because the O2 sensors are between the first and second set of cats. So while this system is "off-highway use only" even in emissions areas they'd have to crawl under your truck to realize the second set of cats are gone.

#15 ·
Will have a better comparison for you folks hopefully on Monday. This is the post installation run. The baseline run in the following pic starts too late with WOT at 4200 rpm but at least you get an idea of what gains are present mid and the top of the curve...

One thing these dynos won't show is the gain in torque at 2000-2500 rpm... Which by seat of the pants feel is significant.

Attachments

#18 ·
No prob! I had an 07 FJ prior to this truck and got a lot of good info off this site. Just returning the favor to contribute something to the community.

It's a great exhaust, now with Dyno proven gains on the DVVTI engine.

#19 · (Edited)
I just installed this exhaust.

The exhaust looks great and fits pretty well. I installed it with a friend and took a couple of hours to do so.

I have an airaid CAI and removed my Dirty Deeds cat back to install the URD Spec-U system.

I know it is not the most accurate way to measure hp, but I used my ultra-gauge to compare both exhausts. To my surprise they came out at exactly the same hp when redlining. This may be because I just installed it today.

I also have the URD Spec-U headers, and the URD performance thermostat which I will be installing later in the week. Hopefully the headers will give me that extra hp I am looking for (17 rwhp according to URD's website).

I have had most exhausts on the market, but I would have to say this exhaust:

- Fits very well as a complete system
- Has a great sound.
- So far has very little drone, isn't much louder than stock at cruising speeds, and sounds loud, but not over the top at WOT. It is definitely much quieter than the Dirty Deeds system which is just a catback.
- Is a good price for a full header back system

I will dyno the car once I have installed the other URD parts, so those of you who are interested in installing a full URD system will have an idea of what kind of gains you will receive.

#20 ·
Thanks for posting your review. Can you post some pics of the underside showing the hangers on the y pipe and muffler as well as pics of the axle over pipe for people who want to attempt installation to reference? I know folks appreciate the pics I've posted but it's still not quite the same application for the FJ.

#22 ·
Here are some pictures. Note the axle over pipe is sitting on the crossmember in this photo. After talking to Gadget you have to use an impact on the band clamps (but not the one v-band) in order to fully tighten them. Once I rotated the pipe up and put an impact on the clamp it has stayed up off the crossmember. I'm still trying to decide have much more (if any) I'm going to cut off the tip. Cut about 1/2" off in Moab, after that didn't have any issues with it dragging. I also cut 1" off the rear of the axle overpipe so I could fit the resonator pipe up higher and back a bit more so the tip didn't hit the rear bumper. On the FJ it uses all the stock hangers, and they all line up nicely. One piece of advice is it spray the rubber hangers with WD40 to help slide the hangers in and out. I also flipped the rear-most hanger upside down in order to get the tip as high as possible.

Some additional install pics. As I said great build quality, definitely not worried about it rotting away!

#25 ·
Had this installed about 2 weeks ago.

I had the y-pipe ceramic coated prior to install.

The installer welded where feasible to eliminate the clamps.

The final hanger on mine looks like it might have been different to start with than yours @football751. Yours looks like a U type bracket. Mine was more of a post going over the frame. The installer could not get it to clear the Icon reservoir so he cut it and welded it back on underneath.

He got the pipe above the frame where yours was touching and there is probably 1/4-1/2" between them. However, under torque or rough terrain it was rattling. I can push it up and hit the heat shield or pull down so it touches the frame. It was driving me insane so I put what I think is not-flammable foam, wedged in between. So far its been a couple of days and it is still ok. There really is not much room up there for that 3" pipe.

The other rattle I have is the exhaust hitting the Expedition One rear, as it cuts in closer than the factory bumper. Probably going to grind the bumper a little bit.

I think I want to trim the tip too.

Definitely notice the gains in HP and torque, which is what I was after.

It seems like the engine needs more air now, I have an aFe filter for the OEM box on the way.

There is currently a drone between 2000-2500 that can get pretty old. I have no idea how it compares to other products. Definitely louder than stock. But I have no desire to go back to the stock exhaust, which I kept just in case.

Aside from the loudness, the tone is really very cool. Like it says on the site, sort of high end sports car sounding. No rice.

Both the ceramic coater and the exhaust shop commented on the quality and asked who made it.

Totally worth it in my opinion.

Attachments

#39 ·
Had this installed about 2 weeks ago.

I had the y-pipe ceramic coated prior to install.

The installer welded where feasible to eliminate the clamps.

The final hanger on mine looks like it might have been different to start with than yours @football751. Yours looks like a U type bracket. Mine was more of a post going over the frame. The installer could not get it to clear the Icon reservoir so he cut it and welded it back on underneath.

He got the pipe above the frame where yours was touching and there is probably 1/4-1/2" between them. However, under torque or rough terrain it was rattling. I can push it up and hit the heat shield or pull down so it touches the frame. It was driving me insane so I put what I think is not-flammable foam, wedged in between. So far its been a couple of days and it is still ok. There really is not much room up there for that 3" pipe.

The other rattle I have is the exhaust hitting the Expedition One rear, as it cuts in closer than the factory bumper. Probably going to grind the bumper a little bit.

I think I want to trim the tip too.

Definitely notice the gains in HP and torque, which is what I was after.

It seems like the engine needs more air now, I have an aFe filter for the OEM box on the way.

There is currently a drone between 2000-2500 that can get pretty old. I have no idea how it compares to other products. Definitely louder than stock. But I have no desire to go back to the stock exhaust, which I kept just in case.

Aside from the loudness, the tone is really very cool. Like it says on the site, sort of high end sports car sounding. No rice.

Both the ceramic coater and the exhaust shop commented on the quality and asked who made it.

Totally worth it in my opinion.
Question: After installing the spec u exhaust did you experience increased low end power? And were you N/A or F/I?

#26 ·
Can't go wrong with URD, very nice setup!

#28 ·
Definitely like the ceramic coated front pipes and y-pipe, wish Gadget offered that as an option. I guess he welded your y-pipe together before you had it ceramic coated?

Your tailpipe bracket is definitely different than mine. I had no issue with it hitting my reservoir.

I was able to twist mine to get it above the frame eventually, still need to add some fireproof foam though. No issues with it hitting the heat shield that I know of. I ended up cutting about 1" off the tip and 1" off the 3" pipe upstream of the resonator in order to make it fit better.

My biggest gripe is where the tip exits. It hangs too low below the bumper and is too easy to hit off-road. But after cutting about 1" off I haven't had an issue. May end up cutting more off in the future.

I'd recommend removing the ehat shield and wrapping that section of the exhaust in some header tape.

#29 ·
I asked Gadget if he could get it coated before I ordered and he said no.

I had the install shop do the welds where possible. Welds were done after ceramic coating. I think he just hit the welds with some paint.

I agree on the tip being low but is that because our bumpers are higher than oem?

Is there a safety issue with cutting the exit too short? Exhaust gasses pooling under the rig at idle and possibly getting in the cabin? Is that a concern or just trim it short?

#35 ·
He hasn't been on the forum since he posted that six years ago.

#50 ·
Decide what you want to tune and what your actual goals are.. The supercharger is a power adder while the spec u is a power modder.

For Dyno sheets, it's possible you'll start making power sooner than 2500-3000 but that's when most dynos start calibration before the pull. I think you're better off trying the spec u system and see how much you can enjoy it, if it's enough power under 2500 rpm. With the supercharger, you'll be around 30% more torque before much exhaust mods and the Magnuson starts from 2000+rpm or so I can hear audibly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.