Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

supercharger search

8K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  football751 
#1 ·
I am looking for a supercharger to add to my 2014 fj and does not have to be a TRD brand. just want a Brand name that is proven and is the unit most people look for.

thank you.

#5 ·
g'day,
The only down side to fitting a S/C, is that you will loose pretty much any warranty claim there after.... if Yota can point to an after market S/C .. they will to deny any warranty claim....
there are really only 3 S/C options, that i am aware of.
URD
RGM
Bullet

all good, but none cheap...

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

#7 ·
No one in the US offers a supercharger for 2010+. You might check in with URD, I know they had a working prototype but it had tuning issues. Not sure if Gadget has made any additional progress. You could always tune with a MapECU, they're basically universal but require cutting and splicing the ECU harness and a tuning shop with a dyno to really get it dialed in.

Never looked into Bullet, looks like a fully developed product and it's a Rotrex design like URDs. But dang it's pricey!

#8 ·
Both bullet and RGM are not in the states but make chargers for this application. After the exchange rate bullet is priced at roughly $6500 for a rotrex charger and xede chip. That's in line with where I would expect URD to be. I believe xede is very similar to unichip... if not unichip rebadged. In either case wouldn't trust it.

Again, getting the charger is not a problem. A plug and play tuning solution is the issue. Splicing the ECU sounds like opening a bag of worms literally. URD needs one ECU connector before they are willing to proceed with their charger.

#9 ·
I live in Brisbane Australia and please note I am in no way in any business relationship with Bullet Supercharging or ChipTorque which designed and manufactures the XEDE unit, I am just one of there paying customers for almost two years now.
XEDE is NOT a copy or rebadged UniChip, XEDE is the brainchild from the owner of ChipTorque here in Australia, ChipTorque is big into tuning and supporting not just normal customers like me, they run there products in drift cars and tune V8 Supercars and much, much more.
XEDE was designed and developed a few years ago now together with Bullet and other performance related companies.
They have now years of data available for the Toyota 4.0 V6 engine Supercharged or not, there tuning software is an open source too but they sell the XEDE with pre-loaded mapping around the world, you tell them what your setup is like and what fuel you are running (there are up-to two profiles) and they pre-load it and there after sales support is very, very good.
Bullet Supercharging has a long history but lets stick to the Toyota 4.0 V6 engine only. Bullet developed the Supercharger kit in 2012 on there own FJ Cruiser which one of the directors still drives today and I believe it has done 80000km's with the charger so far. At the beginning of 2013 Bullet did the first custom FJ which included there Forged Pistons and Rods - See link: Toyota FJ Cruiser | 4X4 Australia
Since then they have sold many in Australia (there are five in Brisbane alone) to New Zealand and there biggest market is the middle east because the FJ engine is also used in the big 200 series LandCruiser there and they actually have sold a number to a performance shop in Texas.
I had the Bullet system fitted about 19 months ago (or 35000km's) my FJ was just four months old and had 5000km on the clock back then. I have done a lot of 4wding and one of the most demanding and hardest trips here in Australia (Cape York, almost 7000km's), many water crossings which some are 100m and more long and water over the bonnet and I did not have one problem.
IMO the Bullet kit is the most developed kit available for the FJ and more importantly you get support in every aspect - I guess you get what you pay for.

#18 ·
here is the stock one i found since this journey began..:

FJ Cruiser Supercharger 2010-2014
FJ Cruiser Supercharger 2010-2014
Item# TRD-2010-2013-SC
$4,900.00$4,495.00
This item is currently out of stock!
Supercharger Assembly AND fit kit combo.

THIS PART (PTR29-35090) MAIN UNIT

FIT KIT... (PTR29-35120)

The TRD internally intercooled supercharger package is one way to get there, with 304 horsepower at 5400 rpm and 334 pound-feet at 3600 (gains of 68 horsepower and pound-feet) on nominal boost of six to eight psi. Roots-type rotating components in a one piece integral manifold. Water-to-air intercooler system with a custom low temperature radiator (LTR) reduces inlet temperatures for maximum power output. High flow fuel injectors. Iridium spark plugs. Boost pressure 5-6 psi.

Notes: ALL 4.0L V6. NOTE: Verify the OE calibration before installing the supercharger kit.

part numbers are Toyota..

#19 ·
The TRD S/C for 2010-2014 was NEVER released! yes it was listed on websites, yes it has part numbers and pricing, and yes TRD brought fully functioning installed models to the Summit but it was never released. There are no 2010-2014 supercharges available from US manufacturers. Not to say you can't have one imported from Australia, but the only other US company that made one for the FJ, URD, has not released a 2010+ S/C.

Awesome to hear that the Bullet and XEDE work great for those down under. Definitely an option for people in the states willing to pay, it's a bit more than the URD it sounds like but those are great numbers. Maybe they'll look into getting a US distributor? Wouldn't be CARB approved, but that's not an issue for a lot of people.

#20 ·
Awesome to hear that the Bullet and XEDE work great for those down under. Definitely an option for people in the states willing to pay, it's a bit more than the URD it sounds like but those are great numbers. Maybe they'll look into getting a US distributor? Wouldn't be CARB approved, but that's not an issue for a lot of people.
Even if you fit a Supercharger system and just run a 6.5 to 7 psi boost setup, it is possible to just remove the two rear cats (keep the factory header and front cats and just fit a 2 3/4 cat back and performance Y-pipe and maybe it would still be CARB approved ?

Bullet works with a performance company in the US which imports there kits so there is some local support for you guys as well as already the knowledge about the kits. If you guys like I can get the companies details for you.
But it will be more expensive than buying direct because they all add there margin.

#22 ·
...... and then there is also this:

Intrested in Supercharging

and this:

Lukes " i hope im done " Fj build as of 29/05/2015

The second link is IMO one of the best built / setups in general out there, this owners has posted a few photos on the Australian forum from his FJ including the engine room which shows the RGM Supercharger setup. Most (if not all) of the guys (and there are a few in Australia alone) which run the RGM kit do run it with the Unichip but I can not comment how they run, it looks like they make good power thought.

#23 ·
If you keep the front cats you should still meet emissions test where they plug into the OBDII port, since there aren't any sensors behind the second set of cats. So in that sense you're correct. But if they actually hooked up a sniffer to the tailpipe (some places do/will) you'd fail. Also not sure how it works exactly in California, I just know they're very emissions strict out there. very few turbo or S/C kits for any car are actually CARB approved, takes a lot to get the sticker.

What US company do they work with? Seems there's some decent interest from 2010+ owners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.