Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

my Doug Thorley long tubes are rusting away :(

42K views 142 replies 58 participants last post by  Datajockeys 
#1 ·
I dont know about anyone else, but my doug thorley long tubes are rusting away!

This is after 2 months. I've been in contact with Doug Thorley since I have not received a response from Jon Lozom yet. They said they will replace them. Their procedure to replace them is a bit flawed though. They want me to purchase another set of headers, swap them, and send the bad ones back. Then they will refund my money.

I have a problem tying up over $500 because their ceramic coater did a poor job. I also have a problem with having to replace these at all, but it really irks my nerve that these are literally only a few months old.

I'll keep everyone posted.

See less See more
#2 ·
How else would you do it without getting a rental? Do you still have the OEM manifolds to put back on while those get shipped out????

#3 ·
How else would I want them to handle it? Ship me some new headers at no cost, and then arrange to have the bad headers picked up after they've been swapped. I've already paid my money in for this, I dont feel I should have to be paid a second time.

I realize they do it to cover their own asses, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it I guess.

#16 ·
How else would I want them to handle it? Ship me some new headers at no cost, and then arrange to have the bad headers picked up after they've been swapped. I've already paid my money in for this, I dont feel I should have to be paid a second time.

WORD!!! (did I just say "word"?)

#6 ·
Thats weird. The JBA shorty headers are Stainless steel and then I got the titanium ceramic coating. I thought the ceramic coating has to do with heat insulation to keep the engine compartment cooler. I know they aren't as powerful but at least you know the JBAs won't rust and they keep you legal. Sorry to hear about your problems. I agree that they should ship you the new ones and then have you ship the bunk ones back.

#7 ·
That would burn me a little, actually more than a little, too. That seems to be the way it all works these days. In my most recent case, I authorized the vendor to bill my card, send out a replacement part, pickup the damaged ones and credit me later. They didn't do that and delayed the replacements until they got the damaged ones back. I suppose there's a lot of fraud and ripoffs, but us legitimate buyers always pay for it.. Ron

#18 ·
maybe you should go outside, sit down, take some deep breaths, it seems as though you are turning into a pirate.:cowsmile:

#13 ·
so aside from the obvoius problems you are having..... how do you like the headers? Noticable power increase? easy install?

#19 ·
I'm pretty sure all JBA's are stainless and not even the uncoated ones would rust.

What's weird is, on my buddy's 4Runner with mild steel headers, there is still no signs of rust after a year... and we didn't bother coating them.

Does grille paint seriously adhere? Maybe I should suggest that to him just in case (but I really don't want to help him pull them :()

#22 ·
I don't want to blow your mind but...the ceramic coated headers (different brand) on my '70 Chevelle did the same thing so don't be surprised when the replacements they send you start doing the same thing. I love headers and had them on all my cars since 1967 but they all (steel headers) rot out on you after a couple of years unless you go with SS.

#26 ·
There is no arguement that these headers were improperly coated. We are taking care of Justin and his new set will be sent out early next week. Our competition uses 409 stainless and they will infact rust if they are not caoted also. Like it was said above a ceramic coated header should last along time and this is the first one I have seen like this that was not 10 years old. This being said that is why we have a limited LIFETIME warranty on our headers and coating. Nobody else even offers that.

Thanks
Nick

#30 ·
Nice to see a manufacturer step up and make the thing right.

After restoring/Modding a bug, a mustang, and a bronco before getting our FJ I have been around and around with manufacturers with poor or defective products. The difficult thing for guys like us is that we are not only out the bad product but if they do step up and replace it, we have to do the job twice. This means their product cost us time, money and frustration not to mention the loss of available use of the truck for the very purpose we purchased the product.

I will pay good money for a quality product, even pay a bit more because it is a company with an exceedingly good reputation for customer service should there be a problem. Save me a couple of bucks with the design of being difficult to work with in the event of a problem, no matter how you respond eventually, I'll never forget that it was your bad product that caused me to do the same job twice!

Nick, way to step up and try to make this right. Lets hope the end result is worth the trouble he has had and it does not become more memorable than it is already.

#72 · (Edited)
I appreciate the kind words and I know this was a fluke thing. We have sold probably 400 sets around the world and this has not been seen. We do stand behind our product 100%!!

Thanks
Nick
Apparently not. It seems that doug thorley is fighting my credit card dispute. They are now saying that they don't cover rust, despite being promised a refund.

This company flat out sucks! I figured all this BS ended two months ago when I got my refund lol

#32 · (Edited)
Just got a call. Replacements are delayed from being sent 03-14-08 to now being sent on 03-25-08. yay! This *might* work out good, because next weekend I might be able to use a lift. I doubt they would get here by Friday though. I hate delays :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.