Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Performance Chips or Sprinter?

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Karlfly 
#1 ·
So I have a 2013 Trail Team Edition FJ that has a manual transmission and I'm thinking of getting either a sprinter or getting a tune "performance chip" for it. But before I spend any money I want to your opinions :nerd on whether or not I should get one of the two, both, what's the difference between the two, and is it worth spending my money on it or maybe I should go a different route if I want to upgrade my FJ's performance.

What I have performance wise now:
Volant CAI
Straight pipe dual exhaust
AFe Throttle Body Spacer

#2 ·
Any 'performance chip' will need to be a real tuner, like a UniChip or the like...a couple hundred dollars. Those $60 'chips' are fake and can hurt your truck.

Now, the "Sprint Booster" is totally different...it simply changes the 'drive-by-wire' gas pedal so that you are giving it more throttle with less pedal....so it feels far more responsive and quick.

Youll get more feeling from the Sprint Booster than an actual ECU programmer, but there is not a whole lot of extra horsepower to get from these 4.0L engines unless you go supercharger.
What is 15 more HP compared to a ton more throttle response? Not really going to feel that 15HP.

Reactions: ateamnm and Bar3K
#12 ·
I disagree that you won't feel 15HP is that all you'll get from a chip? Unichip says 26. I know that varies. And you think you'll get more than that with air intake, chip and exhaust? Want more HP but don't think putting a blower on a 250K motor would be a great idea.

#3 ·
#4 ·
plus freight from Australia, plus whatever import/export fees (if any), and not emissions compliant in California and likely in some other areas of the US with emissions testing (such as the front range of Colorado). Looks like a sweet setup for a reasonable price, but the other hurdles are significant and why a number of folks are clamoring for URD or Magnuson to make a US version for the 2010+ FJs.

#6 · (Edited)
Don`t buy a pedal box (german "sprint Booster" / same principle) / I owned 3 of them but as I checked it with FJ it wasn`t working for me / the FJ became extremely nervous in the lowest adjustment/setting that is possible !!! The reason for this is the extremely short first gear ratio of the FJ...

Reactions: amaclach
#8 ·
#10 ·
I installed a Sprint Booster today on my 2010 Iceberg automatic. I can't describe the difference in quickness as well as lack of any lag such as slowing down for a speed bump and then accelerating. Amazing using 4th gear and over drive. Very responsive and perky! I paid $259, free shipping directly from Sprint Booster. 5 Stars.

#11 ·
Been running Sprint booster for two years, conservative setting, sometimes put it back stock and wonder where the power went. Saves my foot and ankle some effort to get to full throttle. Does seem to help with the throttle by wire lag, not eliminate, but helps when you need to get on it and can't deal with the hesitation.

#14 ·
Performance Chips and Throttle Position Modifiers are nothing but IC Snake-Oil, don't waste your money. Buy something like the Uni-Chip, with proven performance, which I believe has dynamometer test data to back their claims. That's the difference between $60 and $600! Now just think your ROI, if the Uni-Chip can actually save you 1 miles per gallon (I think the claim for the FJ is 2-3), Then say 20 miles per tank or 1 gallon per tank, then at an average cost of say $2 per gallon, you will need 300 tanks fuel to break even. For me that that would be 300 weeks or just under 6 years! But since most of us are looking for Torque & power increase without sacrificing mileage, this may be on of the better ways to go? GL

Reactions: Karlfly
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.