Better performance after battery disconnect and computer reset? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Better performance after battery disconnect and computer reset?

Hello All

Been lurking for a while but never posted. Wondering if some of you can help me out. Couple days ago, disconnected my battery to do some maintenance and it seems that ever since there has been a performance improvement. Particularly in the 2000-2500 rpm range, seems to more power. Am I crazy? Is this possible? This happen to anyone else? Is there something weird with my ECU I should get checked out?

Thanks

Lonnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Better performance after battery disconnect and computer reset?

Quote:
lchin previously said: View Post
Hello All

Been lurking for a while but never posted. Wondering if some of you can help me out. Couple days ago, disconnected my battery to do some maintenance and it seems that ever since there has been a performance improvement. Particularly in the 2000-2500 rpm range, seems to more power. Am I crazy? Is this possible? This happen to anyone else? Is there something weird with my ECU I should get checked out?

Thanks

Lonnie
It is most likely not ECU related. The learning ECU is reset by being "flashed" at the dealer ship for close to 100 bucks. It could have been something else.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Shift points in your tranny programming may have been changed to the defaults. The transmission programming is "adaptive" and does change if a new driver starts driving it differently.

It will re-learn based on how you drive it.

This assumes you have an automatic transmission model?
#4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
lchin previously said: View Post
Hello All

Thanks

Lonnie
I was under the assumption disconnecting the battery for long enough would reset the ECU. Am I wrong??? I thought I read that somewhere...on here!

Everyone Always Says "Somebody should do something about that", but they forget they ARE Somebody-
#5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:51 PM

(Thread Starter)

Sorry, 6MT not auto but I will tell my buddy with the auto
#6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
DVLDUC previously said: View Post
I was under the assumption disconnecting the battery for long enough would reset the ECU. Am I wrong??? I thought I read that somewhere...on here!

You are correct.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
RoverGGM previously said: View Post
You are correct.
In other words, drive aggressively as heII and let the ECU know you want to keep it that way!!
#8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

RoverGGM, do you know if the trans. stops learning at a certain time or is it continuous

"Don't argue with idiots.......they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
Unknown
#9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Forum Superstar

It keeps learning over time. BTW, The FJ is not the only Toyota vehicle that does this.

Adaptive Shift Scheduling uses a microprocessor to read signals from various sensors. It uses a complex algorithm and ongoing memory to decide when to shift. For example, high lateral acceleration during cornering may prevent shifting even if the accelerator is suddenly depressed or released. This helps avoid potential loss of tire grip due to load reversal. Shift points can be based on calibration curves in memory. Adaptive shift-quality control adjusts parameters that affect the speed and smoothness of the shift by interpreting data, including driveline feedback from various sensors, as well as post shift parameters.

The Adaptive Transmission Control system recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly. Two types of ATC are adaptive shift-scheduling and adaptive shift-quality control. Adaptive shift scheduling uses information to assess driving style and decides when to upshift or downshift. It also can identify uphill or downhill gradients and recognize hard cornering. This helps inhibit shifts that might be annoying to the driver or affect vehicle stability. Adaptive shift-quality control uses information about the vehicle or environment, such as changes in the transmission due to wear, to improve the quality of shifts. This system can also adjust shift smoothness to suit driving style (e.g., crisper shifts for aggressive driving or smoother shifts for normal driving).

Last edited by RoverGGM; 08-27-2008 at 03:14 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Forum Veteran

also the fuel maps get erased and it must relearn. it..it probaly changed the mixture for a little bit but dont worry it wont last long

LIBBA #1202
TLCA #18944

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.