2009 HP with TRD supercharger and TRD exhaust - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2009 HP with TRD supercharger and TRD exhaust

I thought this would be easier to find, but maybe I'm not using the right terms.

Picking up my 2009 with supercharger and exhaust next week, putting on an AFE CAI as soon as it gets home.

Any idea what rough HP I will have?

Thanks feel free to point me to the proper thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: 2009 HP with TRD supercharger and TRD exhaust

Quote:
tbohen previously said: View Post
I thought this would be easier to find, but maybe I'm not using the right terms.

Picking up my 2009 with supercharger and exhaust next week, putting on an AFE CAI as soon as it gets home.

Any idea what rough HP I will have?

Thanks feel free to point me to the proper thread!
super charger specs on stock 4.0L are 304HP and 334ft/lbs.
My guesstimate as to what the crank HP number would be with an intake and exhaust, ~320HP and 350ft/lbs
This is a guess based on what those two items do individually to the stock motor.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
layonnn previously said: View Post
super charger specs on stock 4.0L are 304HP and 334ft/lbs.
My guesstimate as to what the crank HP number would be with an intake and exhaust, ~320HP and 350ft/lbs
This is a guess based on what those two items do individually to the stock motor.
Really? hmmm... That sounds like a lot. I was gonna say less, but then after thinking about it, it may be possible. If this were the price is right, i'd say 317 HP and 344ft/lbs.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 06:07 AM

(Thread Starter)

Thanks, my pulled out of my butt guestimate was an additional 100HP, so I wasnt way off I guess.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
tbohen previously said: View Post
Thanks, my pulled out of my butt guestimate was an additional 100HP, so I wasnt way off I guess.
That is a by no means a way of coming up with your HP/TQ numbers. You mention that you are adding a CAI... good Idea. You also need to add a goo catback exhaust, and some Headers, IMO. Then you need to get a Unichip or APR-X1 so the SC can be custom tuned, and then you might see some good gains.

I don't think you can get any kind of accurate measurement by just adding up all the individual HP and TQ claims on each of the performance mods you've made. Get it how you want it and then get it on a dyno.... and prepare to cry when you see how little of that power at the crank makes it to the wheels.

I think URD is releasing a new supercharger for the Fj. Those can produce far more power than the TRD's "mild tune". I'd shop long and hard and make sure you are fully educated on the benefits and drawbacks of the TRD, or any Supercharger. You may just want to sit tight for a bit and see what becomes available.

Mitakuye Oyasin.

Last edited by Toledo FJ; 07-02-2009 at 07:45 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Forum Veteran

Well said Toledo.......tbohen try to get behind the wheel of one with Supercharger vs say gear change & exhaust. The later will be cheeper and I bet you will feel it in the seat of your pants better. Haveing said that good on you for getting a supercharger. Really I'm jealous as us Canadians can not get the TRD yet and the URD voids our warrenty.

Lots of mods....see build thread: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...nt-mobile.html
It's a good life...if you don't weaken !
#7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Runt previously said: View Post
Well said Toledo.......tbohen try to get behind the wheel of one with Supercharger vs say gear change & exhaust. The later will be cheeper and I bet you will feel it in the seat of your pants better. Haveing said that good on you for getting a supercharger. Really I'm jealous as us Canadians can not get the TRD yet and the URD voids our warrenty.
I'm not antisupercharger, unless that annoying whine I've heard on YouTube clips doesn't go away. I could not even begin to tolerate that sound. Even when he let off the gas it was still whining like crazy.... and I mean loud. My truck in super loud to begin with as is.

I may even add the TRD supercharger after I get out to Montana....in like FOUR DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to see if the supercharger will help due to to the thinner air at elevation at my new house. Plus, if it is quiet, I just want one.

Is the URD going to make that annoying sound? I don't care about warranty. I've beaten my rid so good, they laugh if I ask about warranty coverage. If the URD isn't loud, maybe someday I'll get one.

But a regear may be an option too!

Mitakuye Oyasin.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:19 AM

(Thread Starter)

Well I'm not that worried about EXACT HP I just wanted a rough idea.

And I'm going with the TRD so I have warranty from Toyota.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Toledo FJ previously said: View Post
I'm not antisupercharger, unless that annoying whine I've heard on YouTube clips doesn't go away. I could not even begin to tolerate that sound. Even when he let off the gas it was still whining like crazy.... and I mean loud. My truck in super loud to begin with as is.

I may even add the TRD supercharger after I get out to Montana....in like FOUR DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to see if the supercharger will help due to to the thinner air at elevation at my new house. Plus, if it is quiet, I just want one.

Is the URD going to make that annoying sound? I don't care about warranty. I've beaten my rid so good, they laugh if I ask about warranty coverage. If the URD isn't loud, maybe someday I'll get one.

But a regear may be an option too!
One of the nice things about the TRD is that it is very quiet and doesn't have that turbine whine that some others do. Without knowing it was on there, nobody realizes I have the TRD SC until I open the hood.

Regear wasn't really an option for me, since I take a lot of road trips in my FJ and the extra RPMs would kill my hwy cruiser status. It's nice to set the cruise control on 85 and have the engine just sort of loaf along with plenty of oompf to spare.

Disclaimer: This post is intended for those that have not yet seen the following information. Any person(s) that have already viewed or posted this link or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner and claims "repost" can shove it in their pie hole if they wish. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any "Repost" post is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.