4 lights of death... abs, vsc, traction contol, and skid control... Questions.... - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
4 lights of death... abs, vsc, traction contol, and skid control... Questions....

So after a doing a little search, i couldn't kind my answer, but i did find out that many others have experienced these lights coming on. The search has revealed that these lights all coming on in sequence could mean a number of different things. I read from things as simple to low brake fluid to the whole master cylinder needing to be replaced. But upon reading i found my rig was doing a couple things different than others have posted with the same lights.

First, my rig will not come out of park. I have to press the shift bypass button, and to get my rig out of park so i can get on my way. It is at this point (the second i put it in drive) where the lights come on. Now this has happened to me a total of three times. The first time was a few months ago. Came on while driving, stopped at Starbucks and a business meeting. After the meeting,hopped in the truck, lights were on, but as soon as i hit the brakes, they turned off. I could shift into drive no problem. Problem never came back until yesterday.
Stopped to get gas, then it happed all over again. Did the same thing to get on my way. About 10 minutes into my drive, the lights turned off by themselves. Though i think i hit the brakes when they turned off. That's another thing. When this happens, i don't have brake lights.
So this morning i took the rig to a friend of mine with an OBD2 scanner so i can at least see if its holding codes. Just my luck, no codes have been stored. After piecing all the clues toeghter..

-no brake lamps..
- Can't shift out of park
-Dash lights only seem to turn at the same time i tap the brakes

I'm thinking that i might just be my brake lamp switch. But it sucks cause unless it acts up, i can't test for a bad switch. Could it be something else? I sure hope not.
So i guess the purpose of this thread is to see if anyone else have experienced similar symptoms. I'm going to carry my volt meter around with me for a while in the event it does act up again i can do a quick test. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Re: 4 lights of death... abs, vsc, traction contol, and skid control... Questions....

With those four lights lighting on the dash maybe your ABS sensor on your brake hub is bad or damaged. The VSC ABS TRC Skid all came on when my sensor was damaged.

Fabtech 6"+ OME 3" 20" BBS
Federal 35" M/T,1.25 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy Outfitters bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill
#3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Re: 4 lights of death... abs, vsc, traction contol, and skid control... Questions....

I have and AT, but once in my early days I had all lights come on. It drove fine, but brakes were obviously quirky and no rear locker or ATrac. Warranty replacement of an ABS sensor in the front driver side wheel fixed it luckily. I'd start there. Bad news is it ain't a cheap part to replace. If you can get the part, you can do the labor yourself - only a screw or two hold it in place after you remove the wheel and probably the caliper, IIRC.

I also recall it "resetting" itself when I shut the vehicle off. Then I'd drive for 60 seconds and they'd all come on again. If you are feeling daring, and have a safe place to do this: try accelerating up a bit and stomp on the brakes to see if the ABS seems off balance or working at all.

Rick C ~ ~ I aim to misbehave. 2007 GSJ15//Ti Ag//4WD AT
My garage
Build Thread
Where Do You Want to Take Your Truck?

Upstate Cruisers
LcLC, GA Cruisers, SFC, ONSC, STLCA - guilt by association
TLCA #16667

Last edited by BMThiker; 10-26-2009 at 08:16 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
BMThiker previously said: View Post
I have and AT, but once in my early days I had all lights come on. It drove fine, but brakes were obviously quirky and no rear locker or ATrac. Warranty replacement of an ABS sensor in the front driver side wheel fixed it luckily. I'd start there. Bad news is it ain't a cheap part to replace. If you can get the part, you can do the labor yourself - only a screw or two hold it in place after you remove the wheel and probably the caliper, IIRC.

I also recall it "resetting" itself when I shut the vehicle off. Then I'd drive for 60 seconds and they'd all come on again. If you are feeling daring, and have a safe place to do this: try accelerating up a bit and stomp on the brakes to see if the ABS seems off balance or working at all.
Chances are that when the ABS light is on, the ABS isn't working. I haven't done any panic stops to verify this, but in other vehicles i've worked on,if one of the lights on the dash stay illuminated, then the associated system shuts off for saftey reasons.
But you do make a good point that if there is something funny with a sensor, that maybe the truck will feel off balance on an "emergency" stop. Thanks for the sugjestion.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage

I'd look at the brake light switch on the brake pedal like you mentioned. If it is failing it could cause your problem of not getting out of park, as well and being park of all the systems that you have lights on for. If the computers are looking for a signal or specific resistance that goes open it could kick on all those lights.

My 2007 Ti -- R.I.P.

Make me famous...

New rig on tons

Quote:
skersfan previously said: View Post
Ambulance chasers should be shot at sunrise.
...and now with working links in my sig

Buy my truck
#6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
plnfixr320 previously said: View Post
I'd look at the brake light switch on the brake pedal like you mentioned. If it is failing it could cause your problem of not getting out of park, as well and being park of all the systems that you have lights on for. If the computers are looking for a signal or specific resistance that goes open it could kick on all those lights.
My vote is also for the brake light switch. My buddies land rover wouldn't come out of park. No brake lights either. Could have only been the brake light switch or the fuse. I'm guessing you already checked the fuse though so to the switch you go.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Forum Superstar

Lifetime Supporting Member

Just FYI...............the same four lights came on earlier this year on my '07 FJ @25K miles. It turned out that my Catalytic Converter was bad, but since it was covered under warranty, it did not cost me anything!

Thought you should know that could be the problem, as well. Best of luck in finding and fixing the problem and let us know how it goes!

Sun Fusion 4X4 AT CQ GY DL FE XY PW CA TC QS
Mods to date: New and Improved Tire cover, with the FJ, tire tracks, and the word "Cruiser" free-hand painted
A-Trac,Dual horn,Michelin Latitude Tours with MB Chaos wheels
Florida "Shark" specialty license plate saying "KRUSR"
#8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Forum Veteran

I had damaged the ABS cable during the install of my UCA's. I got all of the Christmas lights as well. I replaced the cable and everything's all good now.

2007 Black Diamond 4x4 Upgrade Package #2
#9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
urvi previously said: View Post
My vote is also for the brake light switch. My buddies land rover wouldn't come out of park. No brake lights either. Could have only been the brake light switch or the fuse. I'm guessing you already checked the fuse though so to the switch you go.
I wouldn't think it's a fuse with the problem being intermittent. Sounds like a switch on its way out.

My 2007 Ti -- R.I.P.

Make me famous...

New rig on tons

Quote:
skersfan previously said: View Post
Ambulance chasers should be shot at sunrise.
...and now with working links in my sig

Buy my truck
#10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
plnfixr320 previously said: View Post
I wouldn't think it's a fuse with the problem being intermittent. Sounds like a switch on its way out.

Good point, i missed that part. Unless its a loose fuse, but what are the odds of that ever happening.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.