Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

On-board water tank

39K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  IllongoLola 
#1 · (Edited)
I've searched and couldn't find anything specific to this question, so I'm asking to see if this has been done or considered...

Since I am building my vehicle for the purpose of self-contained travel, what I am thinking about is to use the space underneath the cargo area to house a 14-20 gallon on-board water tank. This would be the same space where the man-a-fre aux tank would be installed, so I know theoretically it's possible. Meaning there is about 19 gallons of space available there.

Measuring the space it is roughly 36x16x8 (The 8 being about the max depth I would want to go to avoid creating clearance issues.) This is a link to the tank I spec'd out to handle the task: Ronco Water Tank. They can also custom-build a tank to spec but I don't think that would be necessary.

Adding the tank underneath would avoid center of gravity issues caused by a rooftop tank, and would also help offset COG issues when I add the RTT. Plus no aerodynamic issues - theoretically may help a little since it fills the cavity in the rear (yes that sounds bad haha but you know what I mean). Especially when the sliders are added.

What thoughts do our Expedition vehicle experts have on this subject? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for your insight and expertise.

- Lee

PS: To clarify and sumarize, the creative solution I am trying to solve is: to have a 14-20 gallon on-board water supply (possibly pressurized) on the FJ, definitely OUTSIDE the cabin area, preferably mounted underneath and definitely not on the roof where the RTT will be going.

See less See more
#11 ·
The footwell tank from frontrunner is just a little to big to fit into the FJ, the slant tank will fit but would have to come up with a way to mount it inside the FJ so it doesnt become a projectile if things get sideways. The area behind the front seat/footwell is a great place for water storage, puts weight down low and in middle of vehicle. But if you don't want it inside the cabin the area behind the rear axle would be a good option also, especially since there is basicly nothing there now.

#4 ·
Sounds like a good Idea you have...I wonder if it's worth all the trouble and exspense though. I guess if you travel alot into remote areas it would pay for itself. I carried two cheap plastic 5 gl. containers in the cargo area and used the water to bath with but it was barely enough for two days in the styx.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys - yep I've looked at both of those solutions (and FJJeremy I looked seriously at this tank Front Runner Slant tank although it's a little wide) but I'm really trying to stay OUT of the cabin area. That's why the vacant spot under the cargo area seems to me to be prime for this kind of unique mod. A good water supply with a manual or electric pump and an on-board faucet would be really useful on long trips or when SHTF, whichever comes first.

Unfortunately I only have the idea and no tools for actual fabrication so would need some help from a shop or a creative fabricator... Anyone near OKC who would want to help I'd appreciate it, or a recommendation for a good shop within reasonable drive (2-3 hours would be easy). I think I really want to try this out sometime soon, and since it should only be a few hundred $ in parts to test this concept I really believe it's ripe for the adventure.

#6 ·
Have you thought of just buying a high-end filtration system and avoiding having to carry a crazy amount of water? Of course you may be travelling in areas that have zero water...

I just did a quick little search on the Cabelas site and found this:

Large expensive unit:

Cabela's: Katadyn Expedition Microfilter Water Filter

List of others:

Cabela's: Water Purification

Just a thought... I'm not sure what your needs are.
:cheers:

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks Winterpeg - yes I have the Katadyn unit and it works great but I'm looking to be self-contained with a reliable water supply of minimum 10 gallons on the FJ, leaning toward up to 20 if possible. Without having to carry it inside the vehicle or otherwise taking up space that I would need for other items. I also have an off-road trailer that I will be adding a 24-gallon water supply onto (that is pretty straightforward), but this FJ supply tank is intended for trips without the trailer or if the trailer becomes disabled.

#10 ·
No prob Tars, and freezing is definitely a consideration... the exhaust goes right through this area so I'm actually hoping there will be a way to leverage the heat to compensate for freezing. Maybe a heating coil created by wrapping around the exhaust and covering the bottom of the tank (similar to the way hydro heated floors work). I dunno, that will have to be a big consideration I suppose. Great idea!

#12 ·
I'm still curious about where you will be going on your journeys. You're probably on to something about the otherwise wasted space, but if freezing might be an issue and you hope to deal with that by using exhaust heat, then you'll get into issues with where to put the extra gasoline you'll need to generate the heat. What I'm really getting at is I kinda like your idea, but how much effort and expense is it really worth to carry around a few extra gallons of water? I have been places where I ran out of water long before I ran out of gas, but that was mostly just a matter of poor prior knowledge & planning and those kinds of places are few and far between. Usually if you can get gas you can get water, and vice versa.

TT

#14 ·
On most of my "expedition style adventure's aka overlanding/car camping" I will more than likely run out of fuel before water. That said on my last trip I was in an area that was virtually without a water source, what little there was would have required a water filter (which I do carry) for sure, I used most of the 8 gal that I had in 5 days so yes it is worth it to carry more than you will need IMO.

#13 · (Edited)
Well, in the spirit of "expedition style adventures" let's just say the idea is to be self-sufficient and to have a reliable fresh water supply where it may otherwise be unavailable. (Obviously additional gasoline is a consideration as well, but not for the purpose of this particular pursuit.)

For example, I could be stationary deep in back country for long periods of time where having my own water supply would be advantageous in addition to what could be found and filtered from a natural water supply. My on-board fresh water supply would be used for food preparation etc and the natural supply for bathing and other needs.

Also, I have actually already found some 12v RV water tank heaters that solve the potential "freezing" issue. They are very similar to low draw electric blankets. I could insulate the tank and run these by solar power and not have to concern myself with creating an exhaust-dependent solution.

It's starting to come together. This is going to be really cool. ;-)

#16 ·
A suggestion: there are lots of water bladders out there for marine use as well as RV and expedition rigs. Fitting a bladder will be a lot easier than a hard tank and less prone to freeze damage. I'd source a take-off stock rear skid plate and mounts as all are simple bolt on. Fitting a bladder above this will be easy, just need to protect it from sharp edges and the exhaust pipe.

You need to think some more on your exhaust heat system. Tanks will typicaly freeze around 4-6 am so unless your planning to run your engine all night.......

Ace

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#18 ·
A suggestion: there are lots of water bladders out there for marine use as well as RV and expedition rigs. Fitting a bladder will be a lot easier than a hard tank and less prone to freeze damage. I'd source a take-off stock rear skid plate and mounts as all are simple bolt on. Fitting a bladder above this will be easy, just need to protect it from sharp edges and the exhaust pipe.

You need to think some more on your exhaust heat system. Tanks will typicaly freeze around 4-6 am so unless your planning to run your engine all night.......

Ace
Thanks Ace. Yes, I have already moved beyond the "exhaust heat system" since I found some inexpensive RV water tank heaters that I could run off my aux battery. And I'm liking the bladder idea mounted on a skid - the only drawback is if I decided on a pressurized system I doubt that would work. But if I just use a small electric pump it may work fine. Needs testing. I have to go in for surgery on my ankle on Tuesday so I for sure have a few weeks of brainstorming and planning time. Keep the ideas coming! I know this is a viable solution for more than just me!

Lee

#17 ·
You could always add a little Vodka to the tank to help to protect against freezing :) Consumable antifreeze, mostly tasteless. If you make your tank 12% alcohol, it'll lower it's freezing point to -6C/20F. :) 40% alcohol gets you to -34C/-30F. Not sure what to say about the hydration capabilities of it though. Might need more water in the cab to stave off the hang over.

#19 ·
Lee,

Here is more to ponder while you recover: personally I would use the space your considering for fuel instead of water. It is the only safe place to carry spare gas on an expedition rig and yet water can be safely carried inside the cab. Unless your sure you will not be carrying more gas I would reconsider the priorities. Two bladders in the footwells would be best. If one leaks you have a backup. Another point to consider is how to fill the water. Fixed tanks are largely limited to filling with a hose, while removable tanks offer many more options.

Those 12 volt tank warrner's are a serious drain on batteries.

I plan to instal a water tank on my roof rack for a couple of reasons. Gravity drain is foolproof and water will have solar warming.

Ace

#20 · (Edited)
Ace, point well taken but I do already have a solution for additional fuel supply outside the vehicle. Both on-FJ and on my off-road trailer. I also have additional water storage on my off-road trailer. As you can see redundancy is my objective here (to have additional water and fuel on both the FJ and also on my off-road trailer).

Right now the creative solution I am trying to solve is: to have a 14-20 gallon on-board water supply (possibly pressurized) on the FJ, definitely outside the cabin area, preferably mounted underneath and not on the roof where the RTT will be going.

For small quantity of roof-top warm water for showering, etc I do like this: Road Shower Solar System although it does seem a bit pricey. Everything I need for a frame-mounted 15-gallon system (less labor) is only about $200.

Great feedback, I should have clarified my intended purpose and the other considerations better. Hope this helps. Keep it coming!

Best,
Lee

#21 ·
I didnt read everyones post... SO..... I read a article in a offroad mag where they added a water tank to a landcruiser.... Installed a 35 psi on demand pump from a RV, had a quick fill hose hook up and a garden hose hook up with a 25 foot hose and nosal allowing them to basicly have water anytime anywhere @ 35PSI for washing, Showering, Hosing mud off the Vehicle... Ect... I have been planning to do this to mine for when we camp or go Muddin.

#22 · (Edited)
YES. Exactly. You don't recall the magazine, or maybe still have it lying around do you?

#26 ·
Your clarification changes a few things, but especially knowing your pulling an off-road trailer. Doesn't it have a water supply system about like what your planning for the FJ? Are you really planning a water system for both?

Ace

#27 ·
Reactions: WildWildWest
#28 ·
I was looking looking at these diamond plate alluminum tanks online and at Northern tool and at a marine store...Maybe you could get something with a low profile and put it in the cargo area. They can make them any shape or size...some actually have good dimensions in stock. To have potable water to drink bath cook or wash anthing would be awesome.

Like mad said...a small 12V pressure pump would be perfect and this could be set up with with quick connect couplers. I found a 25 gallon chemical sprayer that would work perfect and it was cheap. You just need to get a tank fabbed for under the rear cargo space

To bad somebody didn't build this as a kit and offer it up for under $500...I'd buy one!

#29 ·
Maybe you could buy a Manafre aux tank without all the fittings, hoses, etc. should be fairly easy boltin of a 19 gal tank. Aluminum so taste trouble would be minimal. Another option would to find a race car fab place and have them build a stainless tank or a really good sheet metal shop could build it for less. But I still think I would prefer a soft bladder as no custom fabbing and less trouble with freezing. I believe ARB now sells lots of different tanks and bladders.

#30 ·
I have a few suggestions that may help. And some advice
1. Check out expedition portal water storage. They is a guy on there that built a water tank that fits behind the front seats.
2. Check out exp portal for the 100 series land cruiser build (expedition west) he has a removable heAted system that I would like to try.
3. I have put together a hot water shower for my Fj. I researched and purchased all the pArts. I would be happy to throw all this information of where I got thing from if you want just pm me. My system uses a water to coolant heat exchanger
4. As for your water tank. Put it where you feel it is best. Your vehicle is your design. Wether for hard core wheeling. Expedition or mall crawling. It's all up to to you.
Sounds like you have a good plan

#32 · (Edited)
Good luck with your project. All projects can be fun.

FWIW, my experience with large tanks is that they are not worth the trouble especially on an extended "expedition." The challenge with any large tank is keeping the water fresh, and the tank clean and sanitary when empty. Very easy to do with small tanks, but how do you sanitize a 20 gallon tank in the middle of nowhere - usually with very little water reserves available? This is the same problem in hardside campers, trailers and motorhomes. If you can't drain the tank completely dry every time you are done, you will have to sanitize the tank before every use. The fact the tank location is by the exhaust may be helpful in the winter, but will be a challenge in the summer - all kinds of little nasties like to grow in warm water and air.

You can always mitigate these kind of issues, and many do. I have had campers, trailers, off-road trailers with water tanks, etc. but I now only use 5 gallon or smaller tanks. In fact, if I take a hard side trailer, I still take one or two 5-gallon water containers filled with potable water for drinking, etc. Nothing worse than being in the middle of no where and not being healthy because the water in the tank was somehow not suitable for drinking (or washing up, etc). If you just want to pressurize a tank for cleaning up the rig, well that is pretty easy and not too difficult to maintain. Keeping a large quantity of potable water, on the other hand, it can become problematic. Keep it dark, no sunlight (yes, even under the rig), make sure you drain the tank completely. At least annually (more often if needed) sanitize the tank with a little added clorox bleach - then fill 70% - then slosh the heck out of it driving, then drain, refill and rinse - then repeat rinsing until the taste is back to normal. I would do that before first use each year after drip drying completely before storage. Also you will likely want a tank that is baffled. You will probably feel the sloshing water shifting your CG around as you drive the corners if you don't.

I even had a wonderful AT Horizon trailer which we really enjoyed for a couple years, but we never once used the installed water tank. We bought ours used, and I didn't feel like messing with it every time we went out so we simply packed two containers in the FJ. Worked great and no worries.

Good luck with your project, and sorry if the post is a tad long. Be sure to share any learning with the group!

#33 ·
^^ Excellent info. I've been carrying 5 gallon water jugs with my trailer but have been dreaming of installing a larger tank with some sort of pump hooked up. This is making me think twice about that now and, at least, letting me know what I might be getting into if I do. :cheers:

#34 ·
FWIW, my favorite portable tank is actually one of the 2.5g scepter cans. Very easy to pour and when it gets low, I just refill it from a larger scepter MWC.

#35 ·
Go4aRyd - VERY helpful info from someone with obvious experience in the area. Now that I'm healing from my surgery I will be picking up this project again, and with your input above and others may be leaning more toward smaller non-permanent storage underneath the vehicle. Maybe with Rotopax or similar. In that method would just need to fab up a suspended vertical mounting bracket.

#36 ·
I can't vouch for the need to drain and sanitize that Go4ride describes. I have a 17' Escape trailer that has been my full time home on wheels for the past four years. I sanitize about three times a year and have had no trouble. I don't use that water for drinking though. Just washing and cooking (if boiled). I also carry a gravity water purifier so it's easy to get drinking water out of the tank if needed. Maybe because I use the tank and refill it quite often there is no time for unwanted growth. Sometimes I add a little bleach to help keep it cleaner. In summary I think a built in tank is really no trouble at all.

Ace

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.