welding vs. electrical??? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
welding vs. electrical???

Since I find myself unemployed, I think it's time to go back to school. I don't know who works where on here, but I figure multiple points of view can't hurt. For a while now I've been considering going back to school for either welding or electrical. Yes I'm aware that there are numerous "sub catagories" in each field. I'm speaking on a more generic since. I probably wont be willing to do to much traveling because of my family. So lets hear it, opinions/experinces/gripes/etc... whatever you've got thats relevant to the issue, I want to hear about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Coldnapalm
Re: welding vs. electrical???

ehh i vote electrical

2007 FJC 6MT
Complete Mods
Vsc Switch
20% tint all around
AllPro 1.5" spacers
old fj link below
Coldnapalm's Rig - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
#3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think that electrical has broader applications that will help you stay closer to home and also give you more career choices.

Note that this opinion is from someone that makes a living doing a lot of welding and has a shop at home.

"The next best thing to playing and winning, is playing and losing"
Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell
Spirituality is for those who have been there.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Forum Veteran

I have been welding for 26 years. YES IM OLD
Last year brought home $130,000 and some change not including bonuses and other bennefits.
Just to let you know most welders dont make Shhit when working in a shop, maybe $20 an hour but dont quote me on that.
In oreder to make decent money welding your going to halve to travel, do outages and lots of overtime.
On the good side you can work 9 months out of the year and make close to $100,000 depending on the type of welding you do.
or get in with a great company like myself but as a newbe the money wont be there for awhile.
Just remember anyone can learn to weld and the more you do it the better you get. Also welders are like asssholes they are everywhere so speacialty welding is the way to go.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM

I knew a few underwater welders, heard they make great money...
#6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Both of those choices come off as manual labor to me more so the welding part, electrical could be ok.

Depending on your age do you really want to do manual labor as you get older. Personally I think welding as a hobby is fun but as a career from what I have seen its flat out sucks.

Typically on deadline
Hot environment
Tons of PPE (personal protection equipment)
From what someone also said hes been doing it 26 year and is bringing home $130K and that's after 26 years of experience.

What do those positions typically start paying at is a question you could ask.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Forum Veteran

I must agree that the electrical industry has a much broader spectrum of opportunity. I also agree it is hard manual labor. I've been doing it for a looong time and my knees are feeling the miles lately. I think Solar voltaics could be a great course of study. Solar systems are a hot item and highly trained technicians are in demand. It could open up opportunities in sales, installation, and maintenance. Of course it depends on where you live, but might be worth it to check it out. Good luck.

2008 Sandstorm 6MT
285/75/16 Cooper STT, DO Front Bumper, Warn M-8000, TG Sliders, Sway-Away Racerunner on all 4 corners, Camburg UCAs, Scan Guage, Hella 4000, Acro lights in Bumper, Cobra 75WX CB Radio, Ricochet skids, FJtoyman rear shock skids, Safari Snorkel, FJnewb's scuba mod, OutRider front lower link mount Armor, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks in black with red bead lock rings, Tundra door handles, Trail Teams mirrors, Trail Teams grille.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

well here is my reasoning. i would love to be a business man who makes very good money from sitting at a desk, but to get those types of jobs, you either need to be driven or experienced, or educated. i'm none of the three. but what i am is mechanically inclined, i lack the experience, but i enjoy doing things with my hands. both career fields are in demand. both career fields have longevity to them. and both career fields can be learned at a trade school, as opposed to a college. welding to me has the benifit of learning a trade people are in need of, and anywhere you go, somebody is going to need something welded. i'm interested in it. the money can be good. the heat doesn't bother me, i live in florida, and have worked in a, on average 120degree, kitchen for 9 years. as for electrical, i figure, it's something everybody uses, and i don't see us not useing it before i die. it has a very broad career field, so alot of options. and it's something i'm interested in. both fields offer personal gain of, if i'm a welder, i could weld things for myself or others (on the side). if i'm an electrician, i never need to call one, and i could do work on the side.

honestly i'm going to go up to our technical school today get all the info i can, and then try to come up with a decision. a big factor will probably be the length of time it takes to learn the trade. i just mean that as in, to get my foot in the door. i'm aware that to become a journyman electrician takes a number of years, hours, etc... but you're still working.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.