Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

9M views 52K replies 3K participants last post by  FJraja 
#1 · (Edited)
This may sound weird but we are always doing something like 4x4, washing , a good coat of wax picture, a new sticker, wheels, lift, super charger or just an oil change the point is what you did today to or with the FJ cruiser.
This is my favorite thread on the jeep forum and probably the most popular in their entire forum with over two million posts, So why not here? I'll start it off and its up to all of us to keep it going. :cheers:

1. Today I added a headliner supercharger sticker to my windshield after giving her a bath.

See less See more
#28,963 ·
Joined the Mad Max FJ club by removing that plastic bumper of mine..

Something may or may not replace it.:lol:

Attachments

#28,964 ·
Found out I have a currently-useless spare tire. :mad:

Went to have my tires rotated/wheels balanced for the first time since their purchase. Wanted to do a 5 tire rotation to keep some wear on the spare in case it ever needed to be used and spread the wear over 5 tires instead of 4.

When they went to take the spare off one of the lugs just spinned and wouldn't come off. The weld on the bolt head broke on the back side of the carrier.

Drove home irritated and pulled my inside rear door cover off and opened back window to get a better look. Got a socket over the lug bolt behind the carrier and tried taking the lug nut off the front that way. No go.... lug nut must have been cross-threaded when I bought the new wheels and tires and they put it back on.

So now we have the fun task of trying to remove the tire carrier with the spare still attached which of course makes one of the bolts holding the carrier nearly impossible to get to. Once that can be accomplished, cut the cross threaded lug out, find a suitable replacement and someone to tack weld that on and hopefully have a spare that can be removed if needed.

#28,966 ·

Went to have my tires rotated/wheels balanced for the first time since their purchase. Wanted to do a 5 tire rotation to keep some wear on the spare in case it ever needed to be used and spread the wear over 5 tires instead of 4.

When they went to take the spare off one of the lugs just spinned and wouldn't come off. The weld on the bolt head broke on the back side of the carrier.

Drove home irritated and pulled my inside rear door cover off and opened back window to get a better look. Got a socket over the lug bolt behind the carrier and tried taking the lug nut off the front that way. No go.... lug nut must have been cross-threaded when I bought the new wheels and tires and they put it back on.

So now we have the fun task of trying to remove the tire carrier with the spare still attached which of course makes one of the bolts holding the carrier nearly impossible to get to. Once that can be accomplished, cut the cross threaded lug out, find a suitable replacement and someone to tack weld that on and hopefully have a spare that can be removed if needed.
Can you get a C clamp on the back (head) of the stud and just to the site of the lug nut and clamp it down hard enough to get it to loosen?

#28,967 ·

Well that sucks ....
Time for a BBH ....

#28,968 ·
Made custom mounting plates for my High-Lift jack so I can mount it on the OEM roof rack and not crush that aluminum. Gonna test it this week on a 3k mile round trip to TN and back. Super stoked!
Cost me a smile for some scrap metal at a buddy's shop instead of that $60+ for any other mounting brackets. >:D

#28,969 ·
Can you get a C clamp on the back (head) of the stud and just to the site of the lug nut and clamp it down hard enough to get it to loosen?
Tried an impact on the front and socket / drive on the back. Lug nut is not budging which is what led us to be believe it is cross threaded.

Reactions: lqdchkn
#28,974 ·
@fjen I still have my factory tire carrier setting in my garage waiting for another shot at the title. I would think it would bolt right up to your door.
I appreciate that and you are a great wheeling buddy and friend, but after figuring out how to get mine off the rest should be much easier! :wink

#28,975 · (Edited)
Installed some grip handles to make access to the back seats easier. Bought them on Ebay.

#28,976 ·

After some more thought and pondering, I think it is appropriate to give a shameless plug to @DiscountTire here. That is where I went for my tire rotation today. I did not purchase my most recent set of tires from them but had bought some there for my FJ before. Shawn at our local Lafayette, IN store said they could do a rotation for free, but I like to have my balance checked with each rotation. There was a charge for that, but not much more for a lifetime balance so I went that route. After finding out my spare could not be removed and I saw they were using a different socket than the one I gave them on the spare I wondered if that had caused my issue. I'm not one to emotionally jump to conclusions so went home to do some more investigating. I had already seen the lug nut that wouldn't come off was chewed up from them trying to remove it. When I got home I saw that the weld on the back was broken but in a way that didn't indicate it was from trying to loosen, but tighten. This was the first attempt at removing the spare since I purchased new wheels and tires in February elsewhere.
I went back to the store to find out why they were using a lug key other than the one I gave them to remove my wheels to try and figure out more what had happened because the one I had would no longer fit over that chewed up lug nut.
They have one of their own to use for splined lug nuts but was more worn than the one I have. Their's would still fit over the bad lug nut. Shawn was very courteous and professional and as helpful as he could have been at their store. He used their lug key to help try and remove the stripped lug nut again while holding on to the back side. When it didn't work and wouldn't come off he said to keep it to help and gave me a new lug nut to replace it. Even though it didn't get chewed up until they tried to remove it, all indications point to it being cross-threaded when the place I bought the new wheels and tires from put the spare wheel back on. If someone here in the Discount Tire Company can give this employee some kudos for his attitude and help, I think he truly deserves it!

#28,977 ·
Made a gas can carrier.

This part,
Grass

Slides into this part.
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Automotive tire Tire

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

It locks into this position so I can open rear door.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

For more details you can find them in the build link in my sig.

#28,978 ·
After some more thought and pondering, I think it is appropriate to give a shameless plug to @DiscountTire here. That is where I went for my tire rotation today. I did not purchase my most recent set of tires from them but had bought some there for my FJ before. Shawn at our local Lafayette, IN store said they could do a rotation for free, but I like to have my balance checked with each rotation. There was a charge for that, but not much more for a lifetime balance so I went that route. After finding out my spare could not be removed and I saw they were using a different socket than the one I gave them on the spare I wondered if that had caused my issue. I'm not one to emotionally jump to conclusions so went home to do some more investigating. I had already seen the lug nut that wouldn't come off was chewed up from them trying to remove it. When I got home I saw that the weld on the back was broken but in a way that didn't indicate it was from trying to loosen, but tighten. This was the first attempt at removing the spare since I purchased new wheels and tires in February elsewhere.
I went back to the store to find out why they were using a lug key other than the one I gave them to remove my wheels to try and figure out more what had happened because the one I had would no longer fit over that chewed up lug nut.
They have one of their own to use for splined lug nuts but was more worn than the one I have. Their's would still fit over the bad lug nut. Shawn was very courteous and professional and as helpful as he could have been at their store. He used their lug key to help try and remove the stripped lug nut again while holding on to the back side. When it didn't work and wouldn't come off he said to keep it to help and gave me a new lug nut to replace it. Even though it didn't get chewed up until they tried to remove it, all indications point to it being cross-threaded when the place I bought the new wheels and tires from put the spare wheel back on. If someone here in the Discount Tire Company can give this employee some kudos for his attitude and help, I think he truly deserves it!

@Discount Tire

#28,979 ·
Tried an impact on the front and socket / drive on the back. Lug nut is not budging which is what led us to be believe it is cross threaded.
These lugs will twist off pretty easy they're usually made from Grade 5 stock, if you can manage to get a good backup on it just put a breaker bar on the lug with a 4' pipe for leverage and she'll twist right off.