Dirty Parts dual battery kit - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Dirty Parts dual battery kit

I am putting on a bumper and a winch on my 2010 FJ. These Mod's have open the door to several new Mod's, now that I should and want to do.
I was curious if anyone has put the DP Dual Battery kit in a 2010+ and has pics or info on the the removal of the spot weilded plate. Just wanted to get imput on that before I order the kit. Also how has it worked out for you.

Thank you

Jay

2010 Silver. Toytec Ultimate 3", Light Racing UCA's, EXP One Diamond front bumper, Superwinch, PIAA fog lights
Z.O.R.T #56

Member of the 20%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Re: Dirt Parts dual battery kit

Have you considered using the "aux" battery tray that was installed in your 2010? It only involves a simple mod to reposition your PS fluid reservoir. This way you can use the space close to the firewall for installing other great stuff !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Oct 21_2389.jpg
Views:	2069
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	48943  
#3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Regional Moderator

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
shopsaw previously said: View Post
Have you considered using the "aux" battery tray that was installed in your 2010? It only involves a simple mod to reposition your PS fluid reservoir. This way you can use the space close to the firewall for installing other great stuff !
Best positioning for, and I wish I could do as easy.

"Sometimes you are actually restricted by what you know. It narrows your vision and doesn't challenge you to find different ways."

-Wikid

"I'm unique... Just like everyone else!"

-Big Turtle
#4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

I have thought of that, I was trying to save that space for the windshield washer canister kit I purchased. That being said I have read on this forum of a few who have moved the canister towards the firewall by extending the hoses. How difficult was it to move your PS resivior? Once moved did you make a mounting plate for your battery or buy a kit?

Thanks

Jay

2010 Silver. Toytec Ultimate 3", Light Racing UCA's, EXP One Diamond front bumper, Superwinch, PIAA fog lights
Z.O.R.T #56

Member of the 20%
#5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Jay,

The following is a copy of a response I gave on this subject to another post:

"I made my own with simple 2" angle iron, an angle grinder, and drill press. I was all set to weld a tray up when I noted that the factory "secondary" tray (like you have on your 2010) has a number of threaded holes for both M6 and M8 bolts. Easy to bolt angle iron to!

The fabrication was simply a matter of unbolting the Power steering reservoir, cutting off the bottom half of its bracket, drilling two holes in the bracket and then mounting the bracket to the angle iron.

From there I built and bolted down the remaining three sides of the "tray". You will have to drill a few remaining holes for a couple of the sides, but you can get a nut on the bottom side of the tray with a little finessing

Lastly, I put down some rubber stair tread material to line the inside of the "tray' and after rearranging the AC bracket, called it good.

The hold-down holes are already in place for the 2010+ FJ's.

Of course you could have a tray fabbed up at a local sheetmetal shop and weld or bolt the PS bracket to it. Just make sure the inboard edge is high enough to attach the bracket."

If you use this method, you will have to do a little fiddling with the positioning of the PS reservoir height to clear the radiator hose. I had to make ~ 3/16" notch in the upper lip of the angle iron to allow the PS reservoir "wings" to fit when bolted together. It's just a matter of finding the right height and bolting or welding the bracket to the angle iron.

Hope this helps, Marc
#6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 02:36 PM

The CD that comes with the Dirty Parts kit has pictures of the six spot welds to drill out to remove the plate. I have a 2007 so didn't have to do that part, but the instructions are there.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
#7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

I am glad the CD has that info, if I decide on that build that is good to know. I am going to look further into moving the PS resivior and see what if I can fabricate something.

Thanks for the info

Jay

Z.O.R.T #56

Member of the 20%
#8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 12:09 AM
Forum Regular

Re: Dirty Parts dual battery kit

Quote:
hundy previously said: View Post
I am putting on a bumper and a winch on my 2010 FJ. These Mod's have open the door to several new Mod's, now that I should and want to do.
I was curious if anyone has put the DP Dual Battery kit in a 2010+ and has pics or info on the the removal of the spot weilded plate. Just wanted to get imput on that before I order the kit. Also how has it worked out for you.

Thank you

Jay
Hey Jay,
I dont have any pics but if you want to meet up you can check out the install. It has worked out so far.

On guard until seal is broken. Jack Daniels

2010 AG - BudBuilt skids and sliders, Icon V ,DO bumper,Warn M8000,Dual Batteries
2010 Adventure Trailers Chaser
#9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

I pulled the trigger on the the Dual Battery kit this morning from Dirty Parts. They were on sale I look forward to receiving it and installing it next weekend.

2011 Army Green Trail Team SE - Custom XPLORE Package
XPLORE Vehicles
#10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Dirty Old Man

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Garage

Cool. I've had mine for about 4 years now and no problems at all with it. Nice setup and my mechanics were impressed with the way the kit was put together.

When I die you can bury me beneath these Western Skies, Yippee-ay! (Chris LeDoux)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.