Timing Chain Failure-Warning - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Timing Chain Failure-Warning

Quote:
DEWFPO previously said: View Post
There's over 53,000 registered members to this site and yet we haven't heard of a single time chain failure (that I know of). This makes me wonder if your customer had the FJC confused with some other vehicle.

DEWFPO
This.

I'm thinking your customer was confused.

2010 Iceberg White, CQ, OF, Toytec 3 inch, Allpro sliders, Midland 75-822,285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Baja Utility Rack, 1 ugly bird dog,

2010 Sequoia 5.7 6 speed, 2WD rocket ship, wife's,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 PM
THE ROCK

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

If you've ever had the valve covers off, you will see that it's a pretty stout double roller chain
The engine would have to be seriously sludged up to cause a broken chain. It seems like that would be the acception .
I have pics somewhere

"The Rock"
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...8490-rock.html

WikidfJ Partially retired
Wikid link
#23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

All I know is what the guy told me, he owns several shops and does a lot of business.

Take it for what it is worth. I do not know the guy well, just building him a bumper.

I just figured I would pass on what he told me.

He owns an 80, totally restored a 40 so I thik he knows at least a little about Toyotas. I change my oil at 3K anyhow.

"The next best thing to playing and winning, is playing and losing"
Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell
Spirituality is for those who have been there.
#24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
jimmiee previously said: View Post
FWIW I just asked a friend who is a Toyota Master tech and he said those chains never break.
This has always made me wonder why they even use timing belts. I had the belt let go on my Civic when it was at 6500 RPM, and it absolutely trashed the top end of the engine. Meanwhile, Nissan's VQ series V6's have timing chains and were on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list from 1995 (first year of the list) until 2008.

-Mike

2007 Black Diamond 6MT - Sold
1996 LandCruiser "The White Whale" - OME 3" - Slee ShortBus - Goodyear MT/R 315/75R16 - Warn 9.5xp-s - 211k miles, 5 oil leaks, 4 hub leaks, 3 non-working key locks, 2 unbalanced driveshafts, 1 sunroof leak, and a whole lot of fun.
#25 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Pale Rider previously said: View Post
just out of curiosity , why add slick 50 or Dura lube to a synthetic oil?
Most synth makers recommend not to add anything to their proprietary oils.
Reguardless of what any manufacturers say...there are products that are far supierior in performance to any standard product. I have seen straight slick 50used soley into turbine engines. They idle at 50K and ramped up to 250K rpm's. There are severe friction and heat and viscosity tests that these products are subjected to under severe controled situations. You would be surprised as to the results of your choice brands. Dura Lube has many videos demonstrating test results and product comparisons. These products can be added to most any type of oil or syn formulations. See for yourself Some people are actually running past the 500K mileage marks on there engines...In time I'm counting on the same result...we shall see!

Fabtech 6"+ OME 3" 20" BBS
Federal 35" M/T,1.25 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy Outfitters bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill
#26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Yogi Bear Pair up in Threes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)

Quote:
fj6high previously said: View Post
Reguardless of what any manufacturers say...there are products that are far supierior in performance to any standard product. I have seen straight slick 50used soley into turbine engines. They idle at 50K and ramped up to 250K rpm's. There are severe friction and heat and viscosity tests that these products are subjected to under severe controled situations. You would be surprised as to the results of your choice brands. Dura Lube has many videos demonstrating test results and product comparisons. These products can be added to most any type of oil or syn formulations. See for yourself Some people are actually running past the 500K mileage marks on there engines...In time I'm counting on the same result...we shall see!
cool! Id def be curious to what oil is used to hold the ingredients of the PTFE/slick 50 and Dura Lube in suspension... true about the OTC synths and Boutique synths but it also depends on use, duration, and reading the UOA`s, more importantly owner maintenance... That`s cool that your experimenting in hopes of reaching 500k!
I`m all to aware of the great oil debate, you should see some of it over the 2 stroke oils...lol...

*Pale Rider Performance*

#27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:50 PM
THE ROCK

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage

My memory failed me
Single chain double sprocket

"The Rock"
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...8490-rock.html

WikidfJ Partially retired
Wikid link
#28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
fj6high previously said: View Post
I have always used a synthetic oil from the beginning and a oil supplement like Slick 50 or Dura Lube every other change....My change interval has been 3K even so the manual states 5K...I have started using a 0W-20 lately...wonder if I have any sludge buildup in my engine pushing a 100K?

I have yet to hear a single issue on this problem until now...I could see this a problem for someone who never changes the oil but only adds oil when it's low on the dipstick.
Your use of Slick 50 and Dura Lube has already been questioned, but something else caught my eye. Toyota switched to 0W-20 on the FJ in 2010 when the 1GR-FE was revised from VVT-i to dual VVT-i. It was the revision that prompted Toyota to switch, but would not be recommended for pre-2010 models, regardless if it is synthetic or not. While it may not have on the timing chain (what prompted this line of conversation) the older engine may not be compatible with that grade and using may have other consequences. Personally I am glad I don't have an engine that uses that grade. Although my knowledge may be incorrect, but it is my understanding that Honda has used 0W-20 because it helps raise MPGs (thinner and lighter), but at the cost of engine wear/lifespan.
#29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Sile previously said: View Post
This has always made me wonder why they even use timing belts. I had the belt let go on my Civic when it was at 6500 RPM, and it absolutely trashed the top end of the engine. Meanwhile, Nissan's VQ series V6's have timing chains and were on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list from 1995 (first year of the list) until 2008.
Timing belts are used rather than chains because:

1. They are cheap.
2. They are much quieter than chains.
3. They assemble quicker and easier on the assembly line.
4. They do not require lubrication which allows them to run in an oil free environment.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, & Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs & Batt clamp - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Die Hard 850 - Kenwood DNX6980 Nav Radio - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

#30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
jimmiee previously said: View Post
Timing belts are used rather than chains because:

1. They are cheap.
2. They are much quieter than chains.
3. They assemble quicker and easier on the assembly line.
4. They do not require lubrication which allows them to run in an oil free environment.
5. They require periodic replacement which nets the dealers more money in repair costs.
Missed one there chief.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.