Jerry can holder - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Jerry can holder

So far, surprising little! I figured it'd move more than it does. I'll have to say that I haven't had it fully loaded off-roading yet. I should have results for that in a few weeks. If it does move, I already have a few ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

So it's looking more and more like fuel cans go up top unless I can get enough money for a kick butt trailer!
#23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Forum Master

Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

hmmm I'm definitely going to take the spare off and do some research on this subject
#24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quote:
fj_dave previously said: View Post
BTW -- Am I the only that thinks that ARB's $500 solution for holding a 5 gallon gas can is a little expensive? Yikes!
You do realize that is a swing out that only works on their bumper. You can't just add that to your stock bumper. Have you priced dual swing out carrier rear bumpers? That is about the going rate for a single swing arm with a gas can carrier on it.

Fuel cans easily mount on the roof with some tie down straps. Just get some nice cans that won't leak.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 AM
"I've got more hair and I'm sexier than Old Cruiser"

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)

Quote:
sbgixxer previously said: View Post
Here's my solution. I built this up and have tested it a few times already with good results. Before anyone pipes in about how to get into the back, yes, it's a bit of a pain but this is just my test-mule. If I find that it functions perfectly, I plan to incorporate a swing-out. My criteria were that, I was able to hold 10 gallons of fuel, a cooler, and any other "dirty/wet" items I didn't want inside. Beyond that, I wanted as much clearance as possible and also for the set-up not to cover my brake/reverse lights or license plate. I wanted to be able to see out the rear window as well. So far all of this has been accomplished. I haven't tested it for extreme departure angle but what little I have done, I don't foresee any trouble. However, I'll find out for sure in a few weeks.

Nice setup. Many years ago I had a '90 Toyota pickup and an ATV. With the ATV in the bed there was no place for a cooler. A friend and I made a setup similar to yours. The arm and basket were 2 pieces for easier storage. The basket had a receiver on the rear of it and the arm came out a little farther than yours to reach the rear of the basket. No side can mounts. The bottom of the basket was even with the top of the tail gate and we welded a couple of little tabs so that they could "catch" the basket on top of the tail gate if it moved. They weren't needed as the single mounting point worked great and didn't have enough movement to need anything more. It didn't have a cross brace either.

I normally had a 40qrt Igloo cooler, two of the same gas cans as you do, and a Coleman stove on end behind the cooler, or a Volcano Stove or other gear in it with the cooler, but without the gas cans. I took several trips off road to different areas to camp and ride and had no problems with the basket set up moving or rubbing anywhere. I also used it on two trips of 2000 miles each for extra room to bring stuff back for my Mother when my Grandpa died. Worked great.

I used a locking pin at the hitch and where the basket attached to the arm. The basket was approx 4'x2-1/2'x2' going by memory. The arm came out of the receiver approx 8" and then angled out and up and at the end was a vertical section for the basket. The arm was made from square thick wall tube. The basket frame was 1"x1" square tube with expanded metal floor and sides. The receiver on the basket was made of square tube.

Just wanted to give you an idea of how mine worked going through ditches etc. since they are very similar setups just a different vehicle.

It did great. I have thought about pulling it out of the shed to see what it would take to use it on the FJ, but never have. I think I could just use a hitch extender piece to set it out far enough to clear the spare.

Later on I picked up a small trailer for the ATV and we welded a post on the front. The basket would sit down on it and was used for carrying fuel cans etc on the trailer.
#26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Currently running my Scepters up top..

2011 Army Green TTSE. Mods: Boztek CB Mount, Cobra 75W CB with Firestik, Uniden BCT8 mounted on MPAC Saddle Rack, MPAC Cargo Side Rack, MPAC Rear Rack, Husky Liners, Scepter Cans Roof Mounted, Rugged Ridge Headlamp Guards, Body Armor Tail Lamp Guards, Warrior Shovel Mount, Baja Basket, Metal Tech Front Bumper with Bash Plate, Rigid Dually D2 Roof Rack Lights, Ellis Precision Knobs in Stealth Black, ARB Safari Snorkel
#27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Forum Veteran

I recently saw an FJ on the highway with dual jerry cans mounted on the rear in pockets. Almost like the cooler/gear holder that mounts behind spare tire or into the tow hitch.

However, it looked like it was made just for the cans. They were mounted long ways on either side of the tire.

Anyone ever see this before?
#28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM

This seems like a pretty cool option

Products
#29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Hellbound13 previously said: View Post
Currently running my Scepters up top..

Man, how I dig that rig.

Have you lifted it?
#30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

i just throw mine on the rack, strap them down and roll. I'd like a better solution, but it works for now.

***CLICK BELOW TO CHECK OUT MY FJ BUILD***

http://bakesfj.weebly.com

**FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK**

-BAKER-

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.