Review: Superwinch Tiger shark 9500 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Review: Superwinch Tiger shark 9500

Hard to find any reviews of the tiger shark so i thought i would try to put one together for you guys.

Purchased from autoanything for $299 shipped, orginal price is $349 but they had a $50 off special. Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 LB Winch - Best Price on Super Winch 9.5K 12V Winches

Shipping to Arkansas took 7 days. it was packed ok and i cant see why it couldnt survive a trip with a heavy handed carrier.

The install into an ARB was straight forward considering ARB is not a top mount setup. of coarse the control box needs to be relocated. I used 3x two foot battery cables and mounted the box directly over the winch cable hole. The power and ground cable are long enough to get to the battery as is. if you have a secondary battery you might not make it
inside the box they use bracket like terminals that bolt to the winch. i took them out and bolted my cables directly in. The handle will need to be rotated 90 for an ARB. just remove the allens from the handle side, pull the handle up and spin it 90 from top to forward.

The fair lead is not a direct ARB bolt on. it has two holes, one on each side in the center of the bracket. you will have to drill two new holes about 3/4 inch below the pre existing holes. see pic below. I used longer bolts i kept from the bumper install and bolted it to the bottom of the winch.

shipping weight is 90lbs but with the cable out i was able to lift this into an already mounted bumper on my own.

Impressions:
Its hard to believe this thing is as cheap as it is. the build is very stout and solid. Metal is thick and sounds like you're tapping on an anvil. I was worried the control box and remote would feel cheesy but the box is well built and does not feel brittle. the remote is rubbery and pretty heavy. I feel like its a little big but it still fits in the dash box as long as that's all that's in there. the fair lead is pretty nice, the bracket is powder coated wrinkle black and the rollers look to be high quality.

After install i made a test run by pulling my 2400lb daily driver across the lawn. It ran as advertised. not incredibly fast, but 90 feet came and went without having to take a nap. its not very loud, the cable popping around as it spools in is twice as loud as the motor.

I'm pretty happy with this purchase, but i might be taking a chance since there aren't many of these out there yet. time will tell.

Ill try to answer any questions that i didnt cover or add pics if anymore are needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Buggy Building Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Review: Superwinch Tiger shark 9500

Nice writeup
#3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good to hear it looks like a solid build. Mine is coming tomorrow, got the same deal for $299 shipped.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
FJNewb previously said: View Post
Nice writeup
X2!

'07 Voodoo Blue/6MT/Roof Rack/Towing Package/ALL-PRO-Front Bumper w/Prerunner Light Bar, Rock Guards, Full Skid Plates, High Clearance Exhaust, Ultimate Lower Skids/Metal Tech Rear Bumper/ICON Ext. Travel Remote Reservoir Front-Rear PiggyBack Reservoir Shocks-Shin Guards/aFe Pro-Guard 7 CAI/Doug Thorley Headers/Garvin Trail Rack/KC Daylighters/BFG AT/KO's 315x70x17 Tires/17 inch Steel Wheels/Magnaflow Exhaust/Man-A-Fre Extended Brake Lines/M-Pac Rear Mount/Power Tank/Manik Taillight Guards & Roof Rack Light Bar/Light Racing Adjustable UCA/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/Toy Outfitters Rear Upper Control Arms, Rim Stiffeners/URD Short Shifter/Timbren Bumpstops/Baja Rack, + a butt load more mods..
#5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello there, thank you for your review. Decided to get one for myself. I have expedition one diamond style front bumper. Is it difficult to relocate control box above the spool? In contrast to ARB I have a hole now to drop in the winch, the control box maybe too far to the right.

Thank you
#6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

No it's to hard. You can move it anywhere you want as long as you have enough wire to extend it. Arb comes with wire, but if it didn't , about a foot and a half would have worked for me.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Русский царь

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)

Excellent write up and clean install

Just looking at your bumper- ARB made that overhang somewhat long over the top-Great for protecting the roller fairlead but how is the angle when pulling upward to either side? Any contact with the bumper?

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"...
The Build--> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html
#8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Old Cruiser previously said: View Post
Excellent write up and clean install

Just looking at your bumper- ARB made that overhang somewhat long over the top-Great for protecting the roller fairlead but how is the angle when pulling upward to either side? Any contact with the bumper?

I haven't had or seen an issue. You would have to be trying to hang the truck in a tree

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.