First oil change - Page 8 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#71 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 PM
"I've got more hair and I'm sexier than Old Cruiser"

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: First oil change

That sounds good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#72 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

Quote:
Silver-Bolt previously said: View Post
Crap like this is why it's best to learn and do it yourself.
x2

Army Green 2011 NSSE (Option Package 3) w/ Tribal Graphics
#73 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Well two days of riding all over big bend. No issues yet. Still got 4 more days than a 590 mile ride back home.
#74 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 2010 Fj and the dealership told me only to use synthetic oil and nothing else because anything else would damage the motor. are they yankin my chain?

REBEL OFF ROAD

2010 Iceberg. Total Chaos +2 Long Travel Kit. King 2.5 Coilovers with Compression Adjusters up Front. Icon Rear Springs. King Shocks with Resi in Rear. Borla XR-1. HID Headlights 8000K. TRD Cold Air Intake. AirRaid Thottle Body Spacer. Method Race Wheel NVs All Black. Toyo 35x12.50. Rigid Industries Grille with D2s. A pillar mounted D2s. Rigid Industries Light Roof Rack Light Bar. Spare Tire Rotopax Mount. CB Radio. Race Radio. Race Siren.
#75 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
GabeRmrz previously said: View Post
I have a 2010 Fj and the dealership told me only to use synthetic oil and nothing else because anything else would damage the motor. are they yankin my chain?
Yes. That said, I use synth. RP or Mobil1 are what I generally use. Also ran Pennz Plat in my tC as well as Toyota 5w20 synth which is good stuff and has a high moly count. I believe your 2010 calls for 5w20, correct? Dino won't hurt it at all, but I'm sold on synth after years and cars and enough reading to pop my eyes out.
#76 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 AM

(Thread Starter)

2000 miles since the oil or lack of issue. Another 200k to go and I'll be happy.
#77 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

I'd be pretty upset about that too but here's a story that might make you feel better. On my old pickup, I did my first oil change myself. When I got the old filter off, I didn't realize the gasket stuck on the engine and didn't come off with the filter. I put the new filter on, filled it up with oil and drove off. Got a couple miles down the road and my oil pressure dropped to 0. Turned the truck off, got out and had a gusher of oil coming out the fenderwell.

Luckily there was a quick oil change place right there so I went over and they found what happened, changed my oil again, steam cleaned the mess, and I was on my way.

I couldn't believe what a dumbass I was doing that to a brand new $45K truck. The good news though is that I put about 80K miles on it over the next 6 years or so and didn't have any trouble with it. I only got rid of it because the wife needed a new vehicle and I didn't need it for towing any more.

2007 - Titanium, 6 MT, Locker/A-Trac, TRD exhaust, Trail Gear Sliders, Ricochet Skids, Metal-Tech Bumper, Bilstein 5100s on 3rd notch, Warn 9.5ti, BFG ATs 285/70/17, ToyOutfitters LCAs

2011 - Black, 6MT, Locker/A-Trac, Toyota rock rails
#78 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Forum Veteran

I honestly don't believe you have any issues. But I didn't want to make it seem like this was OK and for you to accept it.
I've seen cars/engines run on oil film with no damage. You are most likely 99% good. Maybe better. Just enjoy it. You have a warranty. It's a great vehicle.
#79 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
uberschall previously said: View Post
A friend put some prospective on it. Said if you drive on weekends only 52 weekends a year that's 104 starts and the engine has only residue for 1 second before oil is pumped through then that's 1.7 minutes a year with no oil or only residue. That's about 3 times longer than I ran with only residue. Not sure how accurate that is but was nice to hear.

Also the oil light only flickered when the vehical started to move. Was off when I stood still. I barley accelerated because my eye caught a red light flicker. Then it took a few seconds to realize it was the oil light. At first I thought they didn't top it off.
I may be mistaken but from what I have read, Toyota has a set up where the oil never completely drains into the pan, I believe it is a type of one way valve in the oil filter, this keeps the upper portion of the motor lubed and prolongs engine life normally lost due to cold starts, I believe K&N has this on their filters also. Anyway if your oil and filter were both removed, it would be different to a normal cold start. I would drop the lawyer and go to the media, say you want the piece of mind you originally had when you dropped 30k+ Damage or no Damage, demand piece of mind, that's why you bought a Toyota, refuse the mental anguish this is causing. Put them in the spotlight and they will likely fold, IMHO
#80 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
brianh previously said: View Post
I'd be pretty upset about that too but here's a story that might make you feel better. On my old pickup, I did my first oil change myself. When I got the old filter off, I didn't realize the gasket stuck on the engine and didn't come off with the filter. I put the new filter on, filled it up with oil and drove off. Got a couple miles down the road and my oil pressure dropped to 0. Turned the truck off, got out and had a gusher of oil coming out the fenderwell.

Luckily there was a quick oil change place right there so I went over and they found what happened, changed my oil again, steam cleaned the mess, and I was on my way.

I couldn't believe what a dumbass I was doing that to a brand new $45K truck. The good news though is that I put about 80K miles on it over the next 6 years or so and didn't have any trouble with it. I only got rid of it because the wife needed a new vehicle and I didn't need it for towing any more.
Sounds good. I'm hoping all will be well but most people on here are correct the mental part of it sucks. While I was at big bend this week a friend was out there with his 2012 Trail Team, mine is also a 2012 but not TT. He laughed at me because I kept comparing my engine sounds to his. I guess I did look like an idiot running back and forth and comparing any noise I was suspicious of.

I put a total of 2000 miles on it, the ride to and from big bend and the riding all week at big bend. Never needed 4 wheel drive on any of the roads. The roads were in much better shape than I expected. Didn't do Black Gap. Did the whole river road, Glen springs, and part of Old Ore rd.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.