Offroad tours in Hawaii? - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM
MFS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Offroad tours in Hawaii?

My wife and I have been going to Hawaii every year or so and we love renting a Jeep to go exploring/off roading. Do yourself a big favor and buy a guidebook called Maui Revealed. We found it invaluable in finding the best off the beaten path places to explore. Most of the places mentioned earlier are paved roads. We tried Polipoli State park and loved it. It starts out paved, then turns into a narrow, winding dirt road up the side of the Haleakala crater and has dozens of hairpin turns (and a few cattle to dodge) to make it interesting. It's through a forest and when you get to the top your actually in a redwood forest! It's all in all about 10 total miles to get to the top. There are quite a few other off road type areas but this was one of the better ones we found. Have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Lifetime Supporting Member

I live on Maui and the only place I can think of is Poli-Poli. Google Waipoli Rd. and just follow that road. It goes all the way up to the back side of Haleakala Mt. Its the only legal road where its not paved and a 4x4 vehicle is suggested. You'll pass a lavender farm, great scenery overlooking the West Maui, a park to eat lunch and depending what time you go, you'll see para-gliders. Its also a hunting area. Have a great time here and if you see a black FJ Cruiser with aftermarket bumpers, 3"lift and Mud terrains. Honk and wave.

Jeff B 07, 4X4, Blk, M/T, W/E adjustable, A/P H/D rear lower links, 285 70 17 BFG Mud, Thorley Headers, A/P front bumper, DO rear bumper, DO Sliders, Titan 10,000lb winch, Budbuilt skids, Eclipse AVN 5495, Reverse Cam, CDT Audio ES "braxial" 6 1/2 speakers w/upstage, Helix A2 amp, Galaxy DX 959 CB, Bandi mount, 102" whip antenna, ext spkr. from those now useful headliner spkrs. scan gauge II. Compustar alarm, stinger battery.
"If you don't like it, change it, if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."
#23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Kehei Rent A Car rents jeeps. Well travelled jeeps. No zip up windows anymore. Well used. But... it will go on the beach on the north shore. The rental agreement basically says that they rent jeeps so you can go anywhere. No restrictions. But, it is a tooth rattling jeep.

Bring a backpack. That way you can carry any stuff you take with you. There is no point in locking the door... no windows.
#24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to shadyvito
(Thread Starter)

You guys are great! I'll post again when it gets closer. Maybe some of us can grab a beer.
#25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to shadyvito
(Thread Starter)

Ok my daughter just asked me to ask you if there is any pink sand on the beaches.
#26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

red sand beach maui - Bing Images

Overlanding is about exploration, rather than conquering obstacles. While the roads and trails we travel might be rough or technically challenging, they are the means to an end, not the goal itself. The goal is to see and learn about our world. The vehicle and equipment can be simple or extravagant, they too, are simply a means to an end. History, wildlife, culture, scenery, self-sufficiency - these are the rewards of Overlanding.
#27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
shadyvito previously said: View Post
You guys are great! I'll post again when it gets closer. Maybe some of us can grab a beer.
Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
Villa Wailea Sun & Sea Estate Photo 2 - Hawaii Rentals

Vito, is this the place? Nice Villa!
Just keep an eye out for some weirdo with a green FJ...

-Nick

#28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Forum Veteran

No pink sand but there is red and black sand beaches.

SAW Suspension, TC UCA's, Metal-Tech rear links, ARB front bumper, Expedition-One rear bumper with tire carrier, Metal-Tech sliders, 285-70-17 Duratracs, sPOD, PIAA 520 fogs, Rigid D2's, PIAA 510's rear.

Still to come, Baja Rack and install my 40" Rigid.
#29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Talking Re: Offroad tours in Hawaii?

Quote:
Xx_Black-out previously said: View Post
Just keep an eye out for some weirdo with a green FJ...
There's 3 of 'em, but I'll be the cigar chompin' one in the bunch.

Overlanding is about exploration, rather than conquering obstacles. While the roads and trails we travel might be rough or technically challenging, they are the means to an end, not the goal itself. The goal is to see and learn about our world. The vehicle and equipment can be simple or extravagant, they too, are simply a means to an end. History, wildlife, culture, scenery, self-sufficiency - these are the rewards of Overlanding.

Last edited by Hannibal; 11-14-2012 at 10:46 PM.
#30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Forum Veteran

We see a green one down by the Kihei Cafe regularly.

SAW Suspension, TC UCA's, Metal-Tech rear links, ARB front bumper, Expedition-One rear bumper with tire carrier, Metal-Tech sliders, 285-70-17 Duratracs, sPOD, PIAA 520 fogs, Rigid D2's, PIAA 510's rear.

Still to come, Baja Rack and install my 40" Rigid.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.