High idle switch on 2011 - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Garage
Re: High idle switch on 2011

LOL, see this is what I get for going from memory. I suppose the ones I'm trying to remember must have had a cable end on them 'cause youre totally right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Let us know what you end up with. I've been thinking about this too.

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
(you know, like gods and stuff)
#13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 133 Post(s)

Wonder if you can fool the computer into thinking the engine is cold. I read somewhere where someone with a gas F-250 added resistance to one of the temp sensors to fool the EEC into thinking the engine was cold, causing high idle.
#14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Garage

Yeah but that'd only get you a couple hundred RPM. Cold start is only like 1200RPM. What if you really want to run it up say while winching or jump starting; it would be nice to run it up to 2k or so.
#15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 133 Post(s)

Now you have me thinking about building a potentiometer controlled RC servo using an Arduino. I wonder if the servo could be linked into the TB.
#16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

Wouldnt a block heater aid in heating the truck up faster??

-Adam '07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

Bilstein 5100s | Superflex springs | ProComp ES9000 | LR UCAs | LT285/75r16 Terra Grapplers - Offroad wheels | Westin 55W 6" lights
TG Sliders | Ricochet Armor | Rocktek Link Armor | UltraGauge | Husky Liners | Midlands 75-822 - 3' Firestik - Boztec mount
Ellis Precision | Discovery Overhead Console. w/ GPS | Lots of Fluid Film underneath | Scuba Mod | Dent
#17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

First version is done! I decided to go with more of a hand throttle for now because that's what I had the parts for lying around. I have friction shifters coming to make it more of a high idle device.

I used a few blocks (pulleys) that I had from my sailboat and an old mountain bike brake lever and cable assembly. I welded up a bracket that screws into the firewall that holds the bike cable and the bottom block. On the pedal I bolted an angle bracket on with a pulley attached. I used small no stretch line for the intricate part and steel cable for the rest.

It works perfectly. I can loosen the adjusting barrel on the bike brake just like you would do to adjust your brakes to increase the idle. I can also use it as a hand throttle for hill starts and such. It is a bit of a learning curve to drive with but easy once you practice.

When the pedal is used normally the pulleys just pass right by each other and have no effect on the operation of anything.

Let me know what you think!
#18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Only part that seems strange is the brake lever on a manual shifter... That doesnt get in the way at all?! I know there is more room than pics tend to show I guess!

Bilstein 5100s | Superflex springs | ProComp ES9000 | LR UCAs | LT285/75r16 Terra Grapplers - Offroad wheels | Westin 55W 6" lights
TG Sliders | Ricochet Armor | Rocktek Link Armor | UltraGauge | Husky Liners | Midlands 75-822 - 3' Firestik - Boztec mount
Ellis Precision | Discovery Overhead Console. w/ GPS | Lots of Fluid Film underneath | Scuba Mod | Dent
#19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Forum Detective

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I think it's rad! As soon as I get some free time I'll be copying you on this. Could you hide the cable in the shift boot and then run it through the console to the peddle? I think it would make it look a little cleaner. Other than that this is an awesome idea and great execution IMHO.
#20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Random thought....

Is it bad to have the gas depressed when the vehicle is off? I take it as no since its drive-by-wire.

You could hook it to the ebrake. I know this may negate the "emergency' part, but it would give you a completely hidden higher idle when parked and ebrake on....

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.