Deer vs fj!!! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Deer vs fj!!!

This is my first post here on the forum, I wish it was better. I hit a deer going 65 the other night, here are some pics of the damage. Door dented all the way back and rear fender broken too. front headlight and turn signal missing took the most of the hit. I am thinking of getting a steel bumper for the FJ now as well as bushwhackers and possibly a lift and bigger tires. Possibly an ARB bumper (dont like the look as good but get good reviews) or a Expedition one bumper (I like the more aggressive look).

UPDATE: 4/19/13
Finally got everything fixed up! Took the insurance money from the bumper and put it towards a new bumper. The shop charged the insurance company 6k for all the damages luckily I have full coverage so I took care of the deductible. I had the local Lexus dealer fix damages, and a different shop put the bumper and lift and spacers on.

Earls Tire in Des Moines:
I worked with Elmer

I had bought the Toytec adjustable coil overs and Toytec 2" rear lift springs along with 1.25" Spydertrax spacers from the Toytec website, as well as the Expedition One Wyotto style bumper from Expedition One. I provided him with all the components, the first day he gives me a call saying that the stock Blisten shocks on my 2010 TT will not fit the coilovers, and that he had broken one trying. Frantically calling Toytec to see whats up I ended up spending more money on the Blisten 5100 shocks for the coilovers. Toytec shipped them directly to the shop, and they were installed with the rest of the stuff. Elmer said that he had constant problems installing the lift (I think he just didnt like working on an FJ which he seemed enthused at first. I got the FJ back finally after about 3 weeks, thank god I don't need a car at college. I found out that the bottoms of the coilovers had tool marks all over them, not wanting to fight the shop any more I have not asked them about it. One of the coilovers looks like he took a punch and hammer to the little holes that adjust it and had bent or pushed to one side each one of the holes on the part that adjusts. The bumper install appears to have gone smoothly, all I have left to do is install the PIAA 510 fog lights that came with the bumper. Wheels look a little small now, but I knew that and am currently looking at options for bigger tires. I do not want to get different rims but am thinking 33" tires or 35" tires but this is my daily driver and must retain as much highway driveability as possible while still having a rugged look. I did get the old bumper back and have the 2 black bumper wings sitting upstairs, dont know the fate of those yet. ANY THOUGHTS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	69954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2102.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	69955   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2504.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	73485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2481.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	73486  

Last edited by ClayCrusher100; 04-19-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: UPDATE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Deer vs fj!!!

Bummer...but a good excuse for a better bumper!

2011 Army Green Trail Team SE - Custom XPLORE Package
XPLORE Vehicles
#3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Location: Cortez, Colorado (2 Hours away from both the FJ Summit and Moab)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Sorry to hear about your FJ!! And its a TT too!!! Ouch!!

FJX2000 - Hayden
2007 TRD Special Edition FJ Cruiser - SOLD

Go to my GARAGE or click here to see the STORM DAMAGE TRD build thread!

I will be on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for 2 years starting Sept. 4, 2013. During that time, I will have no forum access so I wish you all the best and if you have a question about a thread I've done or my rig, refer to my build thread or see a moderator! See you in 2 years!

#4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum and you're correct -- your second post can only get better! Glad the FJ took the hit and not you; I assume the FJ occupants were OK.

2012 TT -- Gig'em Aggies
#5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)

Bummer. Damn deer need to look both ways before they cross the street. They should make signs that say that so they do.............

>>>>>>>>>>2010armygreens slow build<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>ArmyGreens M416 Build<<<<<<<<

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer
Maggiolina Grand Tour
#6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
2010armygreen previously said: View Post
Bummer. Damn deer need to look both ways before they cross the street. They should make signs that say that so they do.............
LOL! reminds me of this story...,

Please Move The Deer Crossing - YouTube
#7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CowboyCEO

Wow! that bumper wing survived Glad you are all right..

2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

200,000 mile club

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>
#8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Pacific Coast Moderator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I selected the ARB bumper precisely because it survived so well in Australia against kangaroo strikes.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

#9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 AM

Consider yourself lucky. Ive seen deer do much worse damage. The Fj is built pretty well. Glad your okey. Metal bumpers are a good idea. Welcome.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 AM
JT3
Forum Regular

Perfect excuse for a new bumper. Make sure the bodyshop knows exactly what you want...

I had a fender bender with my old Rover and had to stay involved to ensure I got the aftermarket parts instead of OEM.

2010 TT
DeMello Bumper - Exp1 Water Bottle - SpiderTrax wheel spacers - ToyTec 3" Bilstein Lift

1954 Chevy Bel Air
Easy does it

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.