Emission control device...removal legal? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MotioncontrolMike
Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Emission control device...removal legal?

The addition of an emission control device --where the Expedition washer bottle replacement would normally sit --is new for 2013 as most of us know. See thread: 2013 FJ - Winshield Washer Bottle solution Updates.

Question: Has anyone looked into seeing how necessary this thing is since it has been attached to pretty much the same engine that ran without it for several years?

Has anyone toyed with the idea of removing or tried removing it to make the 2013 engine as previous years that operated without it and still passed smog certs?

I know, I know-not so proper of an activity...but want to know whats been tried without incriminating anyone!

Bunch of crap liberals toss on our engines...hate it.

Mike

Last edited by MotioncontrolMike; 05-30-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Wilderness Mod

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Emission control device...removal legal?

It may throw a code but your right in saying it didn't used to have that from 2010- 2012. Not even sure what it does other than make using that space for a spare battery useless.

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"...
The Build--> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html
#3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Buggy Building Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

If it doesn't cause you to throw a code of fail smog no worries. URD probably can work a solution if the code is the issue, not sure about smog. Haven't read that thread in detail though to understand what it does.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is the main reason I bought a left-over 2012 instead of a 2013. I think the same system has been on Tundras for a few years and they have been successful in removing em. Requires a electric box doo-hickey to plug in so your ecu doesn't throw any codes and block off plates for the exhaust manifold.

Its an air injection system for cold starts. Pumps hot air into the exhaust manifold in an attempt to heat up the catalytic converters faster. Not sure why they would use this complex/ expensive system when a simple heat blanket around the cats would do the same thing.

#5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I think you will get a code if you remove it.
what it does is it adds fresh air during cold start ups to heat up the catalytic converter faster to prolong the life of it. unburnt gasoline inside the cat will cause the cat to overheat.

from Wiki:
"Any condition that causes abnormally high levels of unburned hydrocarbons—raw or partially burnt fuel—to reach the converter will tend to significantly elevate its temperature, bringing the risk of a meltdown of the substrate and resultant catalytic deactivation and severe exhaust restriction. Vehicles equipped with OBD-II diagnostic systems are designed to alert the driver to a misfire condition by means of flashing the "check engine" light on the dashboard."

Other cars will get you somewhere, but a Land Cruiser will always get you home.
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
2014 Ducati Monster 696

Last edited by jasonfjc; 06-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Forum Regular

I am toying with just removing the pump and capping the line. I want to drop a second battery in and that is the ideal spot for it. I just pulled the pump and ran the motor for a few min. No CEL but I'm sure I didn't run it through the full cycle. Before I Knew about the new system I install the URD y-pipe from my 07. 2000 miles and no CEL with two of the four cats gone. I may leave the pump unhooked for a while and see what happens.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 03:03 PM

Very interested in this as well. Keep us posted!
#8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Removing or tampering with a manufacturer-installed emission control device is a Federal felony, punishable by fines and/or jail time. Same thing, legally, as removing the catalytic convertor, disabling any of the engine sensors, etc...

Aside from the legal issues, you will likely trigger engine check codes, and you might cause the engine's ECU to go into a default "limp" mode, hurting overall performance and fuel mileage.

I'd suggest leaving it alone, and finding another solution (pun intended) for the water bottle issue...

" I'm not aware of too many things, but I know what I know, if you know what I mean..."

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... that way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes..."

W6LPB / WPOK492

TLCA #9632

#9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:48 PM

Last time I was checking that emissions device out it seemed it may be possible to move it over a bit to allow room for placement of other items...
#10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
cruiserlarry previously said: View Post
Removing or tampering with a manufacturer-installed emission control device is a Federal felony, punishable by fines and/or jail time. Same thing, legally, as removing the catalytic convertor, disabling any of the engine sensors, etc...

Aside from the legal issues, you will likely trigger engine check codes, and you might cause the engine's ECU to go into a default "limp" mode, hurting overall performance and fuel mileage.

I'd suggest leaving it alone, and finding another solution (pun intended) for the water bottle issue...
Wowzwers. That's a bummer. Glad I skipped the Crawl control and map lights and settled for my '12! Good luck fellas!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Quicksand AT/Offroad Pkg | BMC | Bajarack Utility Rack | All-Pro HREW Sliders | Springtail Solutions MPAC Straddle, Basket and Rear Door Racks| UltraGauge | 285/70r17 Duratracs | Hella Supertone Horns | OEM Hitch | Midland 75-822 Ex Cop Special CB package | 60" Hi-Lift X-treme mounted on Hi-Lift mounts| Spidertrax Wheel Spacers | Warn receiver shackle bracket | Avital remote starter | Radflo 2.5" extended travel coil-overs - 650 lb springs | Radflo 2.5" rear shocks with Eibach springs | Light Racing UCAs | H3R HalGuard Clean Agent fire extinguisher

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.