Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

People, Your FJ mpg goes here

390K views 2K replies 1K participants last post by  MikeS11222 
#1 ·
I drove to the bay area and back, and really wasnt impressed. I got 248 miles on a full tank when I went to SF yesterday. Plz somebody tell me this is only because its breaking in lol.

#1,225 ·
I have an '07 A/T with 35" KM2's w/32PSI. Altitudes range from 5280 (Denver) to 7000 (home). With 285's, I usually got around 18/21. with the 35's I'm getting about 16, no highway run yet. It's not as bad a decline as I thought it would be, especially with my lead foot. I've never used anything but 93 octane, and I use Mobil 1 in the crankcase and rear end. Also use NGK Iridiums, TRD CAI, throttle body spacer and TRD exhaust. Need to do the T/C and front diff. before Moab in April. Damn skid plates.
cruzrman

#1,228 ·
13 city 15 hwy 2.5 lift,BFG 255/85/16 KM2, Metal Tech bumper, Gobi roof rack, 8 Piaa light up frt, Cai and Safari Snorkel. Auto tran 2009 4x4 with less than 6k milage. Before Mods 15 city 18 Hwy 91 oct gas. Have 2 4Runners, Tundra and FJ. Didn't buy for MPG if had would have bought a Toyota Car. Thank God I live in Texas were gas is cheap and we are not afraid to drill for it or refine it here.:king:

#1,229 ·
I just bought a 2007 with 24k miles on it.

I am using it for work as a tech, I have about 200 lbs of test gear in back and it has the roof rack. Manual tranny

I've been getting about 18.5mpg with 90% of it highway driving, at 70-75mph.

I see all of these post on here, and this is probably the longest thread around,, 124 pages worth at present time. And not anywhere on here have I read anything about any mods to help mpg,,, am I missing something?

Anyone?

#1,230 ·
Not driving like a madman....doing 65 using cruise control, I got 23mpg. Factory tires and a roof rack. (All highway driving between CT and Maine)

Filled up with gas, let the pump shut off on the lowest automatic setting...drove 224 miles and filled up again..pump shut off on lowest automatic setting.

Also, I must have a defective model as I have stock tires and when my speedo says 65mph my GPS says 65mph.....

Yesterday I changed my oil to full synthetic and changed the rear diff to full synthetic. Didn't have time to do the transfer case and front diff yet...I'll be doing that next week. I'm curious to see if I get any better mileage with the synthetics.

But, most important...I found out that I can make it from my home to my hideout for TEOTWAWKI - WTSHTF on 3/4 of a tank of gas. So, with my two 5 gallon Spector cans I'll be able to outrun the Zombies to my hidy hole.

#1,232 ·
when i first got my FJ right off the lot i got about 15 MPG now it has almost 5000 miles on it and i get 18.9 almost every fuelup a full tank topped off until the idiot light comes on (which supposedly means i have 2 gallons left) i get about 300 miles to the tank
the only mod i did that added some mpg was i got my tires nitrofilled, and i gained about .5 mpg (it costs 35$ to get nitro filled) so it should pay for itself over time.
i always use walmart or chevron regular octane fuel. the 93 octane didnt improve my milage at all.
im fixing to do an oil change at 5000 miles and i figure it might go up just another tiny bit to 19.2 or so. after getting out the dirty break in oil.
oh and thats US gallons im talking.
i will say your driving probably has more to do with it than anything i drive conservatively, slowly acelerating then lifting my foot a bit once i feel it shift and then coasting to stops in N if i know i can.

#1,234 ·
My Scanguage says I get 9999 MPG when Im going downhill and letting off the gas, Thats excellent gas mileage!:jester:

#1,236 ·
Hello everyone! My FJ is an auto, I have an OEM roof rack, OEM running boards and BFG All-Terrains (on the 17-inch alloys). Everything is stock. I use cruise control for the majority of my driving (highway) and do a little bit of stop-go-stop-go driving. When it comes time to fill up, I always go to the WAY top (just before it overflows). Before the needle even budges, I get a good 70-90 miles in, and from that point, I get roughly 130 miles on a quarter tank, and 180-205ish on a half. I'm not sure if this is normal...anyone else with similar numbers?

#1,251 ·
Yes I've gotten similar to those numbers at times, but it's not always consistant. I've realized the FJ can be a finicky beast and every driving experience is going to be different in fuel comsumption based on terrain, winds, what kind of a driving mood I'm in at the moment, etc. For the record my FJ is an A/T 4wd with Roof Rack.

#1,237 ·
Last tank of gas = 100% highway in Utah 630km ( converted to miles would be approximately 400 miles = roughly 20 miles/gallon
Speed just between 55-60 miles/hour

#1,239 ·
Half city half highway.

Last 4 fill ups:
22.5 MPG
19.5 MPG
20 MPG
18 MPG

#1,240 ·
woops...4x4 automatic with roof racks

#1,243 ·
Stock 2010 w/oem roof rack and tires and just the mods in my sig, nothing major or heavy. 1200 miles total on FJ.
Last 4 fillups
installed scangauge II and slightly modified driving style slightly and now

Being able to monitor fuel consumption live is freakin awesome. Before I got it I thought I was driving with a pretty light foot and now can see what, where and how I'm killing mileage. I really didnt change my habits much but changed them in the right spots

#1,254 ·
It looks like they are light on the mods :)

A heavily modded FJ with at least 285s gets in the 14-17 range HWY.

#1,245 ·
5700 miles total. auto, 4x4, stk size wheels/tires.
19.5 consistently combined city/hwy.
I bought a 2010 VW TDI SportWagen the other day and my salesman clearly was skeptical that I was getting that good on an FJ (I kept the FJ too).
I said it was a 10 model and I have a somewhat light foot.
He said of all the trades he has seen the owners have not been getting that good.
Whatever, I get 19.5 and thats 3-4 better than I was getting on my Duramax, I am really happy with that. Its only 1-2 mpg better than 19.5 on a most all interstate driven tank.

PS, the new SWagen is really a neat vehicle.
LOTS of content for the money, sporty, nice feeling 6spd manual...
and I am avg 45 miles to gallon of diesel so far.

I have only a few hundred miles on it so far but for around 25000.00 it (like my FJ) is one of the best new car values I have ever had.

#1,246 ·
Just drove from Orange County, CA to Fresno with an Hour Stop at Hungry Valley OHV Park last weekend. Total Miles there and back 584. Filled up with premium 16.62gals before I left. Kept clicking. Made the entire trip up there on 3/4 of a tank. Keep in mind I am heavy footed and 80 is where my rig feels nice on the FWY. Filled up a full 15.81 Gals for the drive home and arrived with 1/4 of a tank. Its in FJ. Not a Prius. If fuel is the issue get rid of it and go buy a Smart.....

#1,249 ·
I got 33s, stock roof rack, no lift, and I get avg. 14-16 mpg depending on my driving. Its been hot as the sun here in Va. so my a/c has not been off 2 months. I hove 60k on it now, but I have never never gotten better than 17-18 mpg. even on long hwy. trips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.