FJC or Jeep JK 4 door Wrangler? - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: FJC or Jeep JK 4 door Wrangler?

Just a bit more info...

The new vehicle will be used for on road. So why do I need a grunty 4x4? I live on a hill in NH with a long and steep driveway so 4x4 is mandatory. I also have a boat which must be hauled to the marina and back once per year. It sits at the marina on the trailer only a few hundred feet from the private launch ramp. It's easy for me to drive the TJ to the marina and connect the boat, launch it and then pull it out of the water at the end of the day. BUT forget about towing the boat to and from 2x per year. Getting gas every 2 weeks is hairy despite the electric over hydraulic brakes on the boat trailer. No problems stopping but getting going is sometimes a slow process. So for now I borrow my friends F150 2x per year to get the boat to the marina in the spring and back home in the fall. One short coming with the new JK is the towing capacity is only 3500 and I need closer to 4500. I already know the FJ is 5000 so a check mark for the FJ here.

Again, you guys (and gals) have been great pointing out things I ought to consider between the two and thanks for not turning it into a sales pitch. They are probably both great vehicles in their own respects.

Question(s): How is the FJ going up a rather steep slippery snow covered incline (I know tires are the big factor) and how is it going down? My daily dirver is a BMW AWD and it has Hill Decent which makes going down the driveway easy. Up is not so bad but it pales in comparison to my wifes BMW X3 (girly SUV but fully capable road SUV ) which has Hill Decent and the newer X Drive AWD which is night and day compared to mine.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:02 PM
air
Banned

Quote:
firefly previously said: View Post
And I'm smart enough to be able to look at it from the 30,000 foot level
from 30,000 feet the jeep looks like a bug.

the FJ's just sexy. Sorry but thats just objective.
#23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: you will find two classes of people on this forum...

Quote:
LGraubner previously said: View Post
Usually young, arrogant, know-it-alls who like to flame everyone and be rude. They think Hummers, Fords, Chevys and Jeep are junk and only Toyota can make a quality off-road vehicle. Just ignore them.

Then you will find people (usually older and wiser) with years of off-road experience who can compare capable vehicles and give you good advice from their life experiences.

Both are good vehicles and I had the same choice you did. After owning many 4WD vehicles over the years and knowing the goods and bads, the FJ was hands-down the best choice for me. I haven't regretted my choice and look forward to extensive mods this coming year.

And yes, I will get flamed, but such is life.

Wise words....I agree whole-heartedly.

Sean
#24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
Just a bit more info...

The new vehicle will be used for on road. So why do I need a grunty 4x4? I live on a hill in NH with a long and steep driveway so 4x4 is mandatory. I also have a boat which must be hauled to the marina and back once per year. It sits at the marina on the trailer only a few hundred feet from the private launch ramp. It's easy for me to drive the TJ to the marina and connect the boat, launch it and then pull it out of the water at the end of the day. BUT forget about towing the boat to and from 2x per year. Getting gas every 2 weeks is hairy despite the electric over hydraulic brakes on the boat trailer. No problems stopping but getting going is sometimes a slow process. So for now I borrow my friends F150 2x per year to get the boat to the marina in the spring and back home in the fall. One short coming with the new JK is the towing capacity is only 3500 and I need closer to 4500. I already know the FJ is 5000 so a check mark for the FJ here.

Again, you guys (and gals) have been great pointing out things I ought to consider between the two and thanks for not turning it into a sales pitch. They are probably both great vehicles in their own respects.

Question(s): How is the FJ going up a rather steep slippery snow covered incline (I know tires are the big factor) and how is it going down? My daily dirver is a BMW AWD and it has Hill Decent which makes going down the driveway easy. Up is not so bad but it pales in comparison to my wifes BMW X3 (girly SUV but fully capable road SUV ) which has Hill Decent and the newer X Drive AWD which is night and day compared to mine.

Thanks again.
Based on this posting, I'll say the FJ is the one you want. Jeeps are typically terrible for hauling stuff in trailers. Granted my old Jeeps were CJs with 4in and 6in lifts respectively. However, in my FJ I have hauled 5 x 10 trailers loaded up with about 3000 pounds of sand and pebbles (landscape project), with absolute ease. Brakes on Toyota FJ (EBD) are far superior to those on the JK.

While I admit my bias....do yourself a favor and get the FJ Cruiser!

- Chris
TLCA # 16780

2007 FJ: Voodoo Blue, AT w/ CQ UR2, FJ Roof Rack, Factory rails, hitch, skid plate,TRD intake + exhaust, ScanGaugeII
885/895 OME Lift, OEM black steelies

Smokey Mountain Cruisers
#25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
air
Banned

Quote:
Sean K. previously said: View Post
Wise words....I agree whole-heartedly.

Sean
yeah, but you have to agree there's a quality diff between jeep and toyota.
#26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
air previously said: View Post

I wouldn't argue that point at all....I completely agree. I think where you and I are having an impass is the word "quality" in the post I quoted. He means "quality offroad vehicle" and in that respect.....the Rubi is just as capable as the FJ, probably moreso. But.....that's not what the original poster is really concerned about anyway. Seems to me, with his uses and needs, he's better off with the FJC.

Sean

Last edited by Sean K.; 02-08-2007 at 12:14 PM.
#27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 PM
air
Banned

Quote:
Sean K. previously said: View Post
I wouldn't argue that point at all....I completely agree. I think where you and I are having an impass is the word "quality" in the post I quoted. He means "quality offroad vehicle" and in that respect.....the Rubi is just as capable as the FJ, probably moreso. But.....that's not what the original poster is really concerned about anyway. Seems to me, with his uses and needs, he's better off with the FJC.

Sean
i dont think we're having an impasse at all. i love you, man.

no, seriously.
#28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
air previously said: View Post
THANK YOU AIR!!!!

Sean K. peaple have different opinions...

TOYOTA ROCKS!
#29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Forum Superstar

i have a jeep as well, a YJ though, but have been in many of them. the road manners, ride, features, and comfort of the FJ surpasses the jeeps by far. if it is a daily driver you are looking for, dont even consider the jeep. i was in between a trail rig/ daily driver or a FJ. a built rubicon is what i was going to go for, but after looking at it as far as what i would want to hop into and take on a road trip with my woman, i headed straight for the FJ. i love mine to death and wouldnt think about buying a jeep to drive everyday.
#30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Just a bit more info...

Thanks again.
If you see some of my posts in other threads you see that the FJC is simply amazing on hard packed and icey roads. Our driveway is a north facing paved road, 240 ft. of 12% grade. My auto FJC with stock Bridgestone duelers goes up it every time in 2wd! Not once this winter have I had to use 4WD on hard packed or icey roads and nothing is flat around here. In my avatar is a very steep road that I climbed twice in 2wd. Hard packed snow and no gravel. I have been very impressed with it's ability.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.