Dealer puts 140 miles on FJ, lies and loses parts? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 01:54 AM
The Traveling Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Angry Dealer puts 140 miles on FJ, lies and loses parts?

So the details are sketchy and I'm pissed off.

My wife took the FJ in with my neighbors help, to the dealership. The reason it was in the shop was a few days prior to leaving for work overseas- the inspection failed due to a bad O2 sensor. All I needed was a sensor and inspection...

Get the vehicle back after being held overnight and most of the today. The inspection passed but my neighbor said the check engine light was already back on by the time he made it home (I live 2 miles from the dealership) but this wasnt the worst part. Prior to leaving, he was told that while "test driving" the FJ, the rear shock disconnected from the mount and the shock guard was missing. Sure enough it was and the dealership, rather than replacing it with a proper bolt, used any one they could find and filled the space with a bunch of washers... Yea this was crap and unsafe but it gets better.

So when asked about the test drive, my wife was told they had to drive the FJ around the parking lot a few times to clear out the codes. When my neighbor responded that this should make it easier to find the missing parts, the story changed. They were then told it was test drove 4 different times. They said they took it out past the outlet malls which is a long way out when the OD was confirmed to have over 140 miles- my wife and neighbor were both pissed off.

To top it off, my neighbor knowing how pissed off I would be laid into the manager a little since none of this was explained up front and not even an apology was given.

So I wasted $10 to call during prime time (calling from New Zealand) to speak to a messenger who would relay the message since the service manager was gone for the day and found out he was on the phone with my wife a minute earlier. So now they are just passing me around.

They have till 9 am on the 25th to call my wife and resolve this issue with all repairs and damages being verified by a different shop and covered 100% by them

Its either someone tried to steal these shocks off the rig or someone was joy riding it. Best part was when they told my wife that they didnt need to test drive it since it was an old code and only needed to be cleared via the computer- so when asked why they test drove it- 4 times for 140 miles- they couldnt answer that...

So now I potentially have a damaged rear bypass shock since the shaft would have contacted the mount and damaged it. I'm now missing the lower shock guard and its been hobbled together like some armature hour shady tree mechanic rather than a professional dealership.

This is how it should look

This is the other side

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"...
The Build--> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

Last edited by Old Cruiser; 10-25-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: Dealer puts 140 miles on FJ, lies and loses parts?

Wow! They really went crazy with those washers. Sorry to hear they messed up your ride and then lied about it.

2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Medium Maggiolina Grand Tour w/winter hood
ARB 50qt fridge
National Luna split charging system
ABR Sidewinder FJ battery tray
Bajarack flatrack
Trasharoo
Crawlarado flat black hood blackout
Foxwing awning
#3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 02:44 AM
Smurf Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Garage

G'day OC,
Lock n load...
Man that sucks .... time to get even ....
I bet they not only took it joy riding ... off road joy riding ... hence the damage...
Baz

2011 VB 4x4 AT with CDO
4454 Tru Cooler | AIRAID CAI | AIRTEC SNORKEL | ARB | BAINTECH | BAJARACKS | BA MUFFLER | BLACKVUE | BLUE SEA | CAT |COOPER TIRES | ELLIS ENGINEERING | FACTOR55 | FJ TOYMAN | HELLA | ICOM 440N | INDUSTRIAL FORMING | KING OE | MONSTER RIDES | NESTAHEDITION | OPTIMA BLUE TOP | OZNIUM | PIAA | PROCLIP | RADFLO | RICOCHET | RIGID INDUSTRIES | SAS FOG KIT | SCAN GAUGE | SPRINGTAIL MPAC | TOTAL CHAOS | TOY OUTFITTERS | VIPERMAX + BLUE SYN | WARRIOR PRODUCTS | WET SEATS |
#4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Sucks! Sorry bruddah. Call the General Manager or owner and demand that they be terminated. 4x@140 miles, Sounds like they took turns & went wheelin', did damage and tried to cover it up.

I had similar happen to me at a GM stealership. F'ers took mine for a 32 mile joy ride up the volcano road and got caught in the fast food drive thru on the way back, by me, at gun point. Hey, I thought they stole it

#5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 03:28 AM
The Traveling Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Damn- I wish I could have caught them. The back peddling was nuts when my wife was called back by the Service manager. So they know this is an issue and it will not go away.

If my shock is damaged- they are at a minimum looking at a rebuild with removal/ install on their dime done at another shop and shock armor. Im considering hitting them also for the cost of fuel they wasted at 15 mpg.

Its tough to deal with this when im so far away. Worst part is I have all my tools, recovery gear and equipment in the back. At this point Im not sure they didnt mess with that either.

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"...
The Build--> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html
#6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 03:37 AM
Smurf Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Garage

G'day OC,
You must be going nuts..... Feel for you mate..... Hope your neighbour can pull all your tools, document what's there, send you the list, and verify if anything is missing...
I would not accept rebuilt shock.... I would want new.... Push them hard, hammer them hard....actually both sides new rears.... So they are balanced......
Let me know if I can do anything mate...
Cheers
Baz

2011 VB 4x4 AT with CDO
4454 Tru Cooler | AIRAID CAI | AIRTEC SNORKEL | ARB | BAINTECH | BAJARACKS | BA MUFFLER | BLACKVUE | BLUE SEA | CAT |COOPER TIRES | ELLIS ENGINEERING | FACTOR55 | FJ TOYMAN | HELLA | ICOM 440N | INDUSTRIAL FORMING | KING OE | MONSTER RIDES | NESTAHEDITION | OPTIMA BLUE TOP | OZNIUM | PIAA | PROCLIP | RADFLO | RICOCHET | RIGID INDUSTRIES | SAS FOG KIT | SCAN GAUGE | SPRINGTAIL MPAC | TOTAL CHAOS | TOY OUTFITTERS | VIPERMAX + BLUE SYN | WARRIOR PRODUCTS | WET SEATS |
#7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 03:42 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Sorry to hear that man. Being so far away really makes it hard to deal with the situation. I hope this all gets resolved and it does so elegantly. I love Toyotas but man I always try to avoid the dealership at almost all cost. One time they had to rotate my tires and told me they couldn't because I had over sized tires and that could be a life or death issue if they tried to balance them. Sending positive vibes your way.

Meet the DynamicPanic a work in progress.

Meet the Louisiana Land Krewesers my local TLCA club.

Meet Sothern Style Speed a local fabricator and here is the Custom Fj Bumper he did for me.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 03:49 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Supporting Member

Oh **** no. I would be at their doorstep with a machete. This pisses me off exponentially.

2013 Iceberg
#9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:03 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

So they deemed it necessary to drive your FJC 4 separate times - 140 miles for what exactly?

I wonder if you could sue them?

2011 TTSE Army Green
Made in Japan 7-11
2011 日本製
改造プロジェクト進行中 (WIP)
Icon Stage 2
Ricochet HD armor
Safari snorkel collecting dust in garage

History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man - Godzilla!

#10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:21 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Deftone previously said: View Post
Oh **** no. I would be at their doorstep with a machete. This pisses me off exponentially.
X2-----

Like my mother always said, " The boy ain't right."

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.