Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

So what will replace the fj??

88K views 153 replies 90 participants last post by  jim.laite 
#1 ·
So what will it be from toyota? Something in diesel possibly??

#2 ·
#7 ·
Agreed. Keeping the body on frame 4Runner was their main move as a company when almost everyone else has been unibody for a long time. Sad part is I don't come close to fitting in a 4Rummer.

#4 ·
People have been hoping for a Toyota diesel in US for YEARS. It isn't going to happen. As mentioned I believe they will push the trail 4runner more as it is just more practical. Same drivetrain as Fj but more doors and more space.

#6 ·
Replaced the FJC on 12/21/13 after 7.5 years of very dependable service with a 2014 Tundra (needed a new tow rig). The service we got out of the FJC is why we went back with the Toyota. And I am still hopeful that in the next 3 or 4 years Toyota will have a diesel truck option here. Maybe even a 3/4 ton and 1 ton option.........

Obligatory pic attached

Attachments

#10 ·
I'm not so sure I like American made Toyotas like the Tacoma and Tundra. Seem's like they aren't made with "love" here like Japanese Toyotas. I've read about so many issues with the current generation Tacomas made before 2012.

Just look at their TSB list:

AU001-05 FEB 06 Audio System - Amplifier Won't Turn OFF/Battery Drain
AU001-06 FEB 07 Audio System - Quick Reference Diagnostic Guide
BO001-06 JAN 06 Body - Front/Rear Window Runs Deformed
BO003-05 MAR 05 Body - Overfender Refinishing Process
BO004-05 APR 05 Body - Water Leaks Onto Front Floor
BO018-07 NOV 07 Body - Bent Rear Tailgate
BO022-06 NOV 06 Interior - Driver's Side Lower Dash Panel Poor Fit
EG011-07 JUL 07 Engine Controls - Intermittent No Start Condition
EG021-06 APR 06 Exhaust System - Ticking Noise Between 2,000-2,500 RPM
EG043-05 MAY 06 Fuel System - MIL ON/DTC's/No Start in Extreme Cold
EG046-06 AUG 06 Intake System - Air Intake Hose Rattle
NV003-06 MAR 06 Body - Front End Rattle/Squeak on Bumps
NV004-06 MAY 06 Interior - Front Seat Squeak Noise
NV006-07 AUG 07 Body - Windshield Wind Noise at Highway Speeds
NV007-05 JUN 05 Body - Front/Rear Popping/Knocking Noise on Rough Roads
NV007-07 JUL 07 Body - Dech Side Panel Rattle
PD039-04 SEP 04 Pre Delivery - Initial Calibration Of Compass
PD075-06 AUG 06 Pre Delivery - TPS Initialization Procedure
PG004-06 NOV 06 General - TPS Diagnostic Tips
SS002-07 APR 07 Engine Controls - ECU Flash Reprogramming Procedure
SU002-05 NOV 05 Suspension - Rear Suspension Noise
SU006-07 SEP 07 Suspension - Harsh Rear Spring Ride With Heavy Loads
TC004-06 JUN 06 M/T - Clutch Pedal Squeaking Noise
T-SB-0132-08 JUL 08 Drivetrain - Driveline Vibration Between 15 - 25 MPH
T-SB-0305-08 SEP 08 Suspension - Rear Spring Harsh Ride
T-SB-0326-08 OCT 08 Engine Mechanical - Oil Leak from Front Timing Cover
T-SB-0164-09 MAY 09 Abnnormal Sound from JBL Subwoofer
T-SB-0119-10 MAY 10 Steering Intermediate Shaft Rattle Noise
T-SB-0359-10 DEC 10 - Suspension - *Updated* Rear Spring Harsh Ride

If the FJ gets a successor, let it be built in Japan or keep pushing the 4Runner and bring back the V8 for it. :rocker:

#11 ·
I'm not so sure I like American made Toyotas like the Tacoma and Tundra. Seem's like they aren't made with "love" here like Japanese Toyotas.
I fully agree, I want my vehicle built by an OCD Japanese. Not some mullet coifed tweeker listening to Black Sabbath....:rofl:...:wave:

#15 ·
I don't think the FJ will be coming back but that is just opinion. Sales haven't been great the last few years and haven't been great overseas due to the lack of diesel which everyone from Europe to Australian expects.

Other than being a little larger, the new 4Runner and Tacoma are just as capable as the FJ. I sat in a 4Runner the other day and did not like the interior but I also sat in a Tacoma and liked it. I would never buy a Tacoma for use as a truck because that little p\/ssy truck isn't a 1/4 the truck that I need . . . but I would buy it for a play toy like my FJ.

#17 ·
There have been quite a few members from Australia and other places post that they actually like the gas V6 better than the diesel that is offered in other vehicles over there and would rather have it.

#19 ·
I think that poor sales might be true but why is that? When I went to buy mine, I simply could not find one. In fact, at that time there were 3 new FJ's in the entire state of WI. I got super lucky and called a dealer about 60 miles away who has just unloaded a '12 FJ fully loaded. I took it immediately even though it has stuff on it like running boards that I did not want.

At least by me, I think there has been a general lack of available inventory. A guy actually came up to me at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago drolling over mine and stated when he was in the market...there were none to be found. He was now driving a Tacoma 8)

Maybe better supply and at least a couple of TV commercials showing how AWESOME FJ is would have helped sales?

Eh....just my 2 cents. It is a niche truck for sure. Even cooler, there are 2-3 FJ's that I see on a regular basis. Everyone always waves as we pass on the road. Club FJ FTW. :ninja:

#25 ·
Sadly not a friend of pickup trucks, and worst yet, The FJ is my first Toyota ever, and the only thing that Toyota makes so far that has my interest. With the FJ gone, I see nothing else from Toyota in our future. but just thinking cold out here, nothing else from Toyota camp attracts me right at this very moment, guess the only other SUV in the same price range is a Highlander with a 2.7l engine lol, or a RAV4, double lol. The only other option would be the 4runner trail, but the price on that puppy is not as attractive as the FJ, I'm sure Fiat would revamp the Jeeps, perhaps it would be time to go back to my Jeep roots when the time comes, fack

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#28 · (Edited)
Sadly not a friend of pickup trucks, and worst yet, The FJ is my first Toyota ever, and the only thing that Toyota makes so far that has my interest. With the FJ gone, I see nothing else from Toyota in our future. but just thinking cold out here, nothing else from Toyota camp attracts me right at this very moment, guess the only other SUV in the same price range is a Highlander with a 2.7l engine lol, or a RAV4, double lol. The only other option would be the 4runner trail, but the price on that puppy is not as attractive as the FJ, I'm sure Fiat would revamp the Jeeps, perhaps it would be time to go back to my Jeep roots when the time comes, fack.
Granted, it's Toyota, but CEO Akio Toyoda has expressed a real desire to make Toyota's more "exciting".

"...It all started back in 2007, when Toyota unveiled the FT-HS hybrid sports car concept in Detroit. Fans and journalists saw this sleek two-door and immediately thought “Supra”. The iconic model left quite a hole in Toyota’s lineup when it left the U.S. market in 1998.

Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda subsequently declared that the company should build “more exciting cars.”....

Read more: Toyota Supra concept destined for 2014 Detroit Auto Show? | Digital Trends
Who knows if Toyota follows up with a new Supra or how it may turn out, or if they make other cars meeting Toyoda's wishes. That's one reason of many why I'm leaning towards some sort of version of the FJ appearing at one point. That and they really need to redesign their truck line-it's really stale at this point and is losing market share to Ford and GM's new lines. Frankly, I'm really jonesing for someone to produce an updated version of the old 1960's Ford Bronco's or International Scout's. Probably won't happen, but I can dream...

#27 ·
Those are ugly as hell but yet I'm drawn to them.....interesting.

#31 ·
#38 ·
It's sad to me to think about the FJ not being around in new form anymore. I'd love to know that once my rig gets 250-300k miles on it that I could drive down and buy a new one to replace it.

Instead I'll feel every last mile I put on this baby. :(

#42 ·
Can anything replace the FJ Cruiser?

Okay, I own a 2010 Trail Teams. I get depressed thinking about what life will be like after the FJ. Now I know, I have several miles I can still put on my fj as I only have 75K on it. 300K should be easy. So I don't need a vehicle today.

But I see absolutely nothing on the market that will fill this void if/when I have to get a new vehicle. I like to put my dogs in the back. I have a springtail solutions pet divider. I tow a small enclosed trailer to a cabin off road a few miles.

Do you guys see ANYTHING on the market that can fill this niche? The 4Runner is too refined for my needs. I won't drive an inferior product like jeep.

I guess my option is to go out and by used / low mile FJ's and collect them.

#47 ·
Re: Can anything replace the FJ Cruiser?

Do you guys see ANYTHING on the market that can fill this niche? The 4Runner is too refined for my needs. I won't drive an inferior product like jeep.
The 4Runner's wheelbase is only 4 inches longer than an FJ, that's still 5-6 inches shorter than a 4-door Wrangler so the capability is there if you fix the approach/departure angles with the bumpers. If the problem is with how fancy the interior can be (leather), then it's just a question of getting Toyota to do a stripped down / "tuner" version of the truck that we can buy for cheap then modify.

#43 ·

No! Nothing has come along yet to pull me from my Fj's seat... I look at it this way, most Fj's are owned by woman and never go off road. So plan to hoard parts and just rebuild or replace things. No sense to look elsewhere since I have my beast set up to my liking.

#44 ·

4runner is refined, but sport edition is more core and less luxury. That's what I would be eyeballing if I got another rig. Tacoma or Tundra always high on my list too. Toyota only that's for sure!

#45 ·

I may get me a Tacoma next year just to keep the miles down on the FJ, but it won't keep me from driving it regularly. I love it and will have it till I am gone.

Reactions: fj6high
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.