Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

What does "FJ" stand for?

293K views 327 replies 262 participants last post by  ArcticSailor 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
does anyone know what FJ stands for i went by the dealership and not a damm one of them knew what it stood for Buzz

Edited to add two explanations at the beginning and sticky it.

"J" is indeed for Jeep.
The original designation was the BJ.

"In 1950, the Cold War turned hot. The People's republic of North Korea - supported by it's communist allies from China and the Soviet Union - invaded the Republic of South Korea. The ensuing battle would be supported by the presence of some 400,000 American Military personnel.

To move it's armed forces around the rugged Korean Peninsula, the U.S. Army needed vehicles. The Willys jeep may have ruled the day through WWII, but the army didn't think war surplus general purpose vehicles would cut it in this new terrain. Mountains cover more than 70 percent of the Korean Peninsula, which has a cold and wet climate.

The Army sought updated vehicles, and it wanted them produced as close as possible to the peninsula. So it went to Toyota with blueprints to the venerable and combat-proven Willys Jeep and worked with the Japanese company on changes needed to meet the challenges in Korea. These changes included the need for a slightly longer wheelbase, a slightly more compliant suspension, and a more powerful engine than the four cylinder motor in the WWII jeep.

The engine chosen was the 85 HP Toyota Type B, an inline, 3.4 liter six cylinder fed by a single barrel carburetor.

Officially, the vehicle was designated the Toyota Jeep, though it was better known as the BJ because it combined the B engine and a jeeplike body and chassis

At first, the BJ was considered inferior to the "real" jeep, but in July of 1951, Toyota Test driver Ichiro Taira drove a BJ prototype to the sixth of the 10 hikers checkpoints on Japan's 12,388 foot Mount Fuji. That was higher than anyone thought likely-or even possible -in a four wheel motor vehicle. Then inspired by a historic horseback riding feat accomplised centuries earlier, Taira drove to Okazaki City and up steep temple stairs.
Taira's drive drew attention to the BJ."

"When Willys objected to Toyota using the "Jeep" name outside Japan, Toyota opted for "LandCruiser"-a twist on the name of the British-built Land Rover that had become the post war standard among civilian, if not quite civilized, four wheel drive vehicles."

"In 1955, the original LandCruiser, the BJ, was in it's final model year and a new version, the FJ, was making its debut. This new Landcruiser had a revised body with a face inspired by a traditional Japanese warrior's mask."

Toyota FJ Cruiser
-Larry Edsall
Dragon covered it well

Ultimately, in Toyota land, the J is meaningless. The letter(s) preceding the J indicate which motor is installed. Examples

BJ-40 - "B" - 4 cyl diesel
FJ-40 - "F" - 6 cyl gas (later 2F)
FJ-60 - "2F" - 6cyl Gas
HJ-60 - "H" - 6 cyl diesel
FJ-62 - "3FE" - 6 Cyl FI
FJ-80 - "3FE"
FZJ-80 - FZJ motor
etc, etc...

Toyota's FJ Cruiser model is technically the GSJ15

#71 ·
Re: what does FJ stand for?

f: engine type, i.e. 2f (f: gas b: diesel)
j: body style, i.e. jeep
LMAO...i would hate to drive a car around that is called the BJ Cruiser...everyone would think ur a ****..lol

Reactions: Tnl.vzn15_
#6 ·

i was saying back in the 70's the vin started with the letters f and j.
actually the real land cruisers always had the FJ in their VINs.

the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and FJZ's.

check out ebay's ads, all the classic ones have it. it's an engine designation that also became a model designation since 'land cruiser' was too vague.

so there was engine, model, and series.

i.e. bj70.

#7 ·

"J" is indeed for Jeep.

"In 1950, the Cold War turned hot. The People's republic of North Korea - supported by it's communist allies from China and the Soviet Union - invaded the Republic of South Korea. The ensuing battle would be supported by the presence of some 400,000 American Military personnel.

To move it's armed forces around the rugged Korean Peninsula, the U.S. Army needed vehicles. The Willys jeep may have ruled the day through WWII, but the army didn't think war surplus general purpose vehicles would cut it in this new terrain. Mountains cover more than 70 percent of the Korean Peninsula, which has a cold and wet climate.

The Army sought updated vehicles, and it wanted them produced as close as possible to the peninsula. So it went to Toyota with blueprints to the venerable and combat-proven Willys Jeep and worked with the Japanese company on changes needed to meet the challenges in Korea. These changes included the need for a slightly longer wheelbase, a slightly more compliant suspension, and a more powerful engine than the four cylinder motor in the WWII jeep.

The engine chosen was the 85 HP Toyota Type B, an inline, 3.4 liter six cylinder fed by a single barrel carburetor.

Officially, the vehicle was designated the Toyota Jeep, though it was better known as the BJ because it combined the B engine and a jeeplike body and chassis

At first, the BJ was considered inferior to the "real" jeep, but in July of 1951, Toyota Test driver Ichiro Taira drove a BJ prototype to the sixth of the 10 hikers checkpoints on Japan's 12,388 foot Mount Fuji. That was higher than anyone thought likely-or even possible -in a four wheel motor vehicle. Then inspired by a historic horseback riding feat accomplised centuries earlier, Taira drove to Okazaki City and up steep temple stairs.

"When Willys objected to Toyota using the "Jeep" name outside Japan, Toyota opted for "LandCruiser"-a twist on the name of the British-built Land Rover that had become the post war standard among civilian, if not quite civilized, four wheel drive vehicles."

"In 1955, the original LandCruiser, the BJ, was in it's final model year and a new version, the FJ, was making its debut. This new Landcruiser had a revised body with a face inspired by a traditional Japanese warrior's mask."

Toyota FJ Cruiser
-Larry Edsall

#33 ·

"J" is indeed for Jeep.

Toyota FJ Cruiser
-Larry Edsall
Very interesting history, thanks for this post Dragon. Being my first Toyota, I found this useful information.

#314 ·

My wife Jodi insists it stands for "For Jodi". We have agreed to disagree on this point and actually manage to share our FJC equitably.
Funny stuff! My wife is also named, "Jodi". Yes, same spelling! I'll have to tell her this, since one of the main reasons we just bought ours, was because she always wanted one! She'll get a big kick out of it!

#9 ·

:cheers: Dragon

Thank you for the history lesson.

I loved this story in the Edsall book. That is whay you all need to get yourselves a copy!

#14 ·

WWWWOW man did i light a fire thanks for the input all it was informetive and humorus if you want to see an easy way to make a anti theft device for your ride go to to tech section wa hooooo buzz

#19 · (Edited)

Somebody told me that FJ stands for Foreign Jeep; In the years after World War II, as Japan's heavy industries were looking for products to build and sell overseas, one company got an idea from the funny little convertibles in which the foreign occupiers would scoot from constutional convention to barroom and back again -- the Jeep.

#23 ·

I was curious about the book by Larry Edsall. Where can one buy this book? Thanks!

Voodoo Blue, MT6, upgraded #1, roof rack, rock rails & towing package.

#24 ·

I was curious about the book by Larry Edsall. Where can one buy this book? Thanks!

Voodoo Blue, MT6, upgraded #1, roof rack, rock rails & towing package.
Again, great read with great pictures. A must for any FJC owner...real nice on the coffee table for those who don't worry about child proofing stuff :lol:

I got mine from Specter Off-Road, Specter Off-Road, Inc.-Landcruiser Parts & Accessories. Otherwise, you could just go to barnes & noble and pick up a copy or they can bring it in for you and of course the b&n website.

#25 ·

Thanks for the info Fivestar13! I will check with Barnes & Noble or I will contact Specter Off-Road. chris

Voodoo Blue, MT6, upgraded #1, roof rack, rock rails & towing package

#30 ·

In the 1920's a young Japanese couple had a son, they named him Talley. He grew up a respectful and honorable son and when war broke out in the late 1930s naturally Tally joined the army to help his country. He was soon promoted to the engineers and was helping to study the small vehicles the Japanese had captured called jeeps. He was one day riding around in a captured jeep when an airplane strafed him and the jeep flipped, throwing poor Tally 25 meters into a huge stock pile of barbed wire. Tally was entagled and they had to cut off the wire. By the time the snippings were gone, Taly was missing a part of his anatomy, his sack.
Tally finished off the war and returned to his village, soon he was a college graduate and was engeneering for Toyota where he invented the vehicle to kill Jeep and all Jeep sales, the FJ40, or F*%& Jeep 40. It was a huge sucess and tally was rich, he even bought some bear parts from Kamkatchua that were known to make certain parts work on men, And they did, but having more than just scars in the neither regions, his face being scared to, even being rich, he found most nights he was alone at home. Soon his money was gone and he was destitute, But he dreamed of a new FJ, and soon brought the Idea to Toyota, they were amazed at the creative genious of Tally and told him to continue with the idea. He went so far as to even make a one off that toured the show circut and Toyota put it into production. THe FJC, or F J Cruiser was a huge sales sucess and soon Tally was rich again, and made a National hero, the young man from a small village, the son of mr and Mrs Wanker was known throughout the land and soon he could here his name chanted in Awe, Talley wanker talley wanker talley wanker was repeated each night outside his home, but Alas Talley still got no girl.

#95 ·

In the 1920's a young Japanese couple had a son, they named him Talley. He grew up a respectful and honorable son and when war broke out in the late 1930s naturally Tally joined the army to help his country. He was soon promoted to the engineers and was helping to study the small vehicles the Japanese had captured called jeeps. He was one day riding around in a captured jeep when an airplane strafed him and the jeep flipped, throwing poor Tally 25 meters into a huge stock pile of barbed wire. Tally was entagled and they had to cut off the wire. By the time the snippings were gone, Taly was missing a part of his anatomy, his sack.
Tally finished off the war and returned to his village, soon he was a college graduate and was engeneering for Toyota where he invented the vehicle to kill Jeep and all Jeep sales, the FJ40, or F*%& Jeep 40. It was a huge sucess and tally was rich, he even bought some bear parts from Kamkatchua that were known to make certain parts work on men, And they did, but having more than just scars in the neither regions, his face being scared to, even being rich, he found most nights he was alone at home. Soon his money was gone and he was destitute, But he dreamed of a new FJ, and soon brought the Idea to Toyota, they were amazed at the creative genious of Tally and told him to continue with the idea. He went so far as to even make a one off that toured the show circut and Toyota put it into production. THe FJC, or F J Cruiser was a huge sales sucess and soon Tally was rich again, and made a National hero, the young man from a small village, the son of mr and Mrs Wanker was known throughout the land and soon he could here his name chanted in Awe, Talley wanker talley wanker talley wanker was repeated each night outside his home, but Alas Talley still got no girl.

LOL :silly:

#97 · (Edited)

The guys where I work at call it "Fujimoto Jeep"
Wow some is actually right.. I am sure if most of you know this but I was at the Toyota Sema Booth all week last year when the truck made its depute. I made some good friends at Toyota as I drooled at the TRD FJ. It called Fuji Jeep, in name and design, pays homage to the original Land Cruiser, a Jeep-like vehicle known as the FJ40. That vehicle climbed to Checkpoint No. 6 on Mount Fuji in 1951 and went into production in 1953.

#37 ·

WOW i got a history lesson,an idea for new plates,and a couple of laughs.
Thanks guys/gals/ect. I love this place.:grim:

#38 ·
Somebody was checking out my ride today and asked me what the "FJ" stood for in FJ Cruiser. I could not answer them and honestly I had never even thought about it until then. Anyways...what does it stand for?