What does "FJ" stand for? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What does "FJ" stand for?

does anyone know what FJ stands for i went by the dealership and not a damm one of them knew what it stood for Buzz

Edited to add two explanations at the beginning and sticky it.

Quote:
Dragon previously said: View Post

"J" is indeed for Jeep.
The original designation was the BJ.

"In 1950, the Cold War turned hot. The People's republic of North Korea - supported by it's communist allies from China and the Soviet Union - invaded the Republic of South Korea. The ensuing battle would be supported by the presence of some 400,000 American Military personnel.

To move it's armed forces around the rugged Korean Peninsula, the U.S. Army needed vehicles. The Willys jeep may have ruled the day through WWII, but the army didn't think war surplus general purpose vehicles would cut it in this new terrain. Mountains cover more than 70 percent of the Korean Peninsula, which has a cold and wet climate.

The Army sought updated vehicles, and it wanted them produced as close as possible to the peninsula. So it went to Toyota with blueprints to the venerable and combat-proven Willys Jeep and worked with the Japanese company on changes needed to meet the challenges in Korea. These changes included the need for a slightly longer wheelbase, a slightly more compliant suspension, and a more powerful engine than the four cylinder motor in the WWII jeep.

The engine chosen was the 85 HP Toyota Type B, an inline, 3.4 liter six cylinder fed by a single barrel carburetor.

Officially, the vehicle was designated the Toyota Jeep, though it was better known as the BJ because it combined the B engine and a jeeplike body and chassis

At first, the BJ was considered inferior to the "real" jeep, but in July of 1951, Toyota Test driver Ichiro Taira drove a BJ prototype to the sixth of the 10 hikers checkpoints on Japan's 12,388 foot Mount Fuji. That was higher than anyone thought likely-or even possible -in a four wheel motor vehicle. Then inspired by a historic horseback riding feat accomplised centuries earlier, Taira drove to Okazaki City and up steep temple stairs.
Taira's drive drew attention to the BJ."

"When Willys objected to Toyota using the "Jeep" name outside Japan, Toyota opted for "LandCruiser"-a twist on the name of the British-built Land Rover that had become the post war standard among civilian, if not quite civilized, four wheel drive vehicles."

"In 1955, the original LandCruiser, the BJ, was in it's final model year and a new version, the FJ, was making its debut. This new Landcruiser had a revised body with a face inspired by a traditional Japanese warrior's mask."

Toyota FJ Cruiser
-Larry Edsall
Quote:
woooody previously said: View Post
Dragon covered it well

Ultimately, in Toyota land, the J is meaningless. The letter(s) preceding the J indicate which motor is installed. Examples

BJ-40 - "B" - 4 cyl diesel
FJ-40 - "F" - 6 cyl gas (later 2F)
FJ-60 - "2F" - 6cyl Gas
HJ-60 - "H" - 6 cyl diesel
FJ-62 - "3FE" - 6 Cyl FI
FJ-80 - "3FE"
FZJ-80 - FZJ motor
etc, etc...

Toyota's FJ Cruiser model is technically the GSJ15

Last edited by Dragon; 06-14-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Forum Superstar

Re: what does FJ stand for?

f: engine type, i.e. 2f (f: gas b: diesel)
j: body style, i.e. jeep

every time i post, 30 jobs are created in nonexistent congressional districts.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Forum Veteran

it's deffinetly vin number related, but the aim is at the 40 series from back in the days. i had an fj 40 myself till 2 years ago. it was a 77
#4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
mongoose2231 previously said: View Post
it's deffinetly vin number related, but the aim is at the 40 series from back in the days. i had an fj 40 myself till 2 years ago. it was a 77
the current fj is neither f nor j.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Forum Veteran

i was saying back in the 70's the vin started with the letters f and j.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
mongoose2231 previously said: View Post
i was saying back in the 70's the vin started with the letters f and j.
actually the real land cruisers always had the FJ in their VINs.

the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and FJZ's.

check out ebay's ads, all the classic ones have it. it's an engine designation that also became a model designation since 'land cruiser' was too vague.

so there was engine, model, and series.

i.e. bj70.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Sockless Superstar

Lifetime Supporting Member

"J" is indeed for Jeep.
The original designation was the BJ.

"In 1950, the Cold War turned hot. The People's republic of North Korea - supported by it's communist allies from China and the Soviet Union - invaded the Republic of South Korea. The ensuing battle would be supported by the presence of some 400,000 American Military personnel.

To move it's armed forces around the rugged Korean Peninsula, the U.S. Army needed vehicles. The Willys jeep may have ruled the day through WWII, but the army didn't think war surplus general purpose vehicles would cut it in this new terrain. Mountains cover more than 70 percent of the Korean Peninsula, which has a cold and wet climate.

The Army sought updated vehicles, and it wanted them produced as close as possible to the peninsula. So it went to Toyota with blueprints to the venerable and combat-proven Willys Jeep and worked with the Japanese company on changes needed to meet the challenges in Korea. These changes included the need for a slightly longer wheelbase, a slightly more compliant suspension, and a more powerful engine than the four cylinder motor in the WWII jeep.

The engine chosen was the 85 HP Toyota Type B, an inline, 3.4 liter six cylinder fed by a single barrel carburetor.

Officially, the vehicle was designated the Toyota Jeep, though it was better known as the BJ because it combined the B engine and a jeeplike body and chassis

At first, the BJ was considered inferior to the "real" jeep, but in July of 1951, Toyota Test driver Ichiro Taira drove a BJ prototype to the sixth of the 10 hikers checkpoints on Japan's 12,388 foot Mount Fuji. That was higher than anyone thought likely-or even possible -in a four wheel motor vehicle. Then inspired by a historic horseback riding feat accomplised centuries earlier, Taira drove to Okazaki City and up steep temple stairs.
Taira's drive drew attention to the BJ."

"When Willys objected to Toyota using the "Jeep" name outside Japan, Toyota opted for "LandCruiser"-a twist on the name of the British-built Land Rover that had become the post war standard among civilian, if not quite civilized, four wheel drive vehicles."

"In 1955, the original LandCruiser, the BJ, was in it's final model year and a new version, the FJ, was making its debut. This new Landcruiser had a revised body with a face inspired by a traditional Japanese warrior's mask."

Toyota FJ Cruiser
-Larry Edsall

#8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Forum Regular

My wife Jodi insists it stands for "For Jodi". We have agreed to disagree on this point and actually manage to share our FJC equitably.

Dave

Member Tread Lightly
Ti Metallic
#9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Forum Master

Dragon

Thank you for the history lesson.

I loved this story in the Edsall book. That is whay you all need to get yourselves a copy!

- Chris
TLCA # 16780

2007 FJ: Voodoo Blue, AT w/ CQ UR2, FJ Roof Rack, Factory rails, hitch, skid plate,TRD intake + exhaust, ScanGaugeII
885/895 OME Lift, OEM black steelies

Smokey Mountain Cruisers
#10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Forum Veteran

yeah, but it would suck to walk around and say " hey guys i just bought a BJ!".

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.