Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Site Upgrade and Look

43K views 455 replies 106 participants last post by  Administrator 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for FJCruiserForums.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit FJCruiserForums.com.

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join FJCruiserForums.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "FJ Cruiser Forum Legacy".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your FJ's, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/garage.php?do=editgarage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your FJ CruiserForums.com Team.

See less See more
#235 · (Edited)
Dang y'all be patient. It's a huge undertaking to update a site, identify and work out the bugs. Especially since there are different browsers and they all display sites differently. If you cant wait a couple days then my thinks you are taking the internet too seriously

This post has been deleted
#240 ·
I'm not that flexible.

What are your specific issues other than missing:smile and lifetime supporting member badge?

Have you sent a PM to Jeff asking for help?

#237 ·
G'day Bio,
Steady on..... please.....
I can understand your frustration, but there is no need to loose it
if its not working to your satisfaction, have you tried switching back to the legacy format ?
Or perhaps, log out of the site for a few days, and give it time to bed in and settle.
There is no need to become abusive about it, it will not change anything, or make it get fixed faster, etc.....

cheers
Baz

#238 · (Edited)
Jeff

Nearly every option in my Edit Preferences is missing. Something is obviously wrong because it wasn't like this yesterday.

I think this is why so many people are having issues all of a sudden. As we're trying to make recommended changes but the page content is now missing, causing frustrations.

Using IE 11

Attachments

#242 · (Edited)
^^^I'm speculating here but in my experience most popular web content is designed on a MAC (because Apple heavily subsidizes design schools and that's what designers get familiar with) thus those developers design things to look good in Safari and by Apple standards.

Web standards are not all implemented the same way by all browsers thus just cause it looks good on MAC doesn't mean anything to IE, FF or Chrome users. :(

That's where the troubleshooting begins. Most likely this skin was designed on MAC and why you're not having issues.

#243 ·
Firefox and no problems so far.

Reactions: Administrator
#245 ·
Doesn't look any different between my Apple products vs pc desktop/laptop. Only thing I noticed is that it seems to load slower after the changes on the Apple products only.

#247 ·
So this is a big transition. There are a few issues . There is no sense in getting rude with the folks that are trying to help. Keep nice or it will be deleted .

#248 · (Edited)
I just went to start a post. Where did you guys move the advanced reply thingie so I can post up a pic???????????????????????????????????????????
I need to manage this~~~~~~~~~
How can this happen??????
Jax'

#249 ·
My previous post is mostly to let the Admin know it is working on multiple macs with Safari.

However, most everything to do with these upgrades come straight from the vBulletin manufacturer. Their business is dependent upon browser compatibility and they do it well. Some site features may be add ons that come from VB.org and those can be hit or miss depending upon the coder of that product but it generally does not affect the overall site.

Skins are definitely an aftermarket product not produced by vBulletin but are easily troubleshot by selecting a different skin option on the user end. You will be able to tell pretty quickly if it is one skin vs. another. You might try selecting "legacy" as your skin choice if the default forum skin is of concern. It is at the bottom left of the page in a drop down menu if you are looking for it.

I offer this only because I own a vBulletin forum myself and this appears on my end to be a pretty clean upgrade with only a couple of small glitches. There is always a chance that some will be affected more than others. It has been my experience that IE gives the vBulletin software more fits than any other browser on the market. For the most part, IE is very archaic. You might try enabling the "compatibility view" feature of IE. It fixes a lot of problems that cause websites to display improperly. Indeed, it is the only browser on the market that has or needs that feature built into it. Double check it and make sure it is turned on. Google "IE compatibility view" for more info.. Or just try using firefox.

Also, often times your computer is trying to load a page based on the history in it's cache file. It can be of help to delete your cookies, clear your cache, delete your history, and restart your computer so that it begins with a fresh slate. Any of that information from the old site that may be lingering on your computer could cause the page to load incorrectly.

:cheers:

#254 ·
#257 ·
Not all of them.......

Reactions: BIOHZRD and 136353
#259 ·
I don't know where you are checking yours, but I noticed that some of the notifications show the same thing if I'm on the Active Topics page. If I click on a link to a thread like this one or the Last Person to Post thread and check the notifications they come right up then.

#270 ·
Why do people keep seeing that it says regular members get like 150 PMs and Premium members are supposed to get 1000 then?

Perhaps the default of the system is for premium members to get 1000, but this company decided to only grant 500?

#271 ·
Update:

The "original post icon" when you reply should be fixed now.

Working on the rest guys, thanks for the understanding and the support from tech savy members.:nerd

I am actively working on many issues with the team right now, they will be addressed and I will not fail you!

Attachments

#278 ·
Jeff

The report a post section doesn't have anywhere to write why you are reporting the post, only a report post button. When pushed it tells you that you need to write something.

#280 ·
You can go all the way to the bottom of this page on the left and there is a drop down box that you can select it from.

#281 · (Edited)
I am able to load photos via the advanced and "paperclip" button function in legacy mode but not the new one. At least I figured that much out haha.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.