Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Site Upgrade and Look

43K views 455 replies 106 participants last post by  Administrator 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for FJCruiserForums.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit FJCruiserForums.com.

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join FJCruiserForums.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "FJ Cruiser Forum Legacy".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your FJ's, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/garage.php?do=editgarage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your FJ CruiserForums.com Team.

See less See more
#282 ·
FinnJ... we're using 2 different phones so that's likely where the main difference is, but I just use the normal website address and have it at legacy mode... that makes it look exactly like the old website but a bit smaller. I can zoom in and out as normal and when I double-tap it zooms to just the text, double-tap again and it zooms back out to view the whole screen. I'm using a Blackberry Z30.

Good luck.
:cheers:

#291 ·
#298 ·
Yea what happens exactly when you try to use the forum on iPhone through a browser? Is it safari?

#300 ·
It can't revert out of Autoguide. Maybe you clicked a link in Autoguide and it opened an internet window of the forum? If you are getting double notified I believe the notifications need to be either turned off on the web, or in the forum since there are settings for notifications in each.

#303 ·
:lol: haha

Yea you would access with Autoguide and stay in Autoguide, or access on web and stay on web.

The bookmarks might be all busted up for everyone since the site was totally redesigned.

Reactions: Administrator
#306 · (Edited)
So I've tried all of the suggestions here about how to get the site to look and work like it used to on my smartphone which is a Samsung Galaxy S4.
- Cleared the browser cache, twice
- Set my user preferences to Legacy in the User Control Panel (this works just fine for the PC but not the phone).
- Selected Legacy from the pull down at the bottom of the page. This choice is not even close on the phone. Looks more like a mobile version than the default. As a matter of fact it is exactly the same as selecting the mobile version.

So in short none of these are working for me.

I am not interested in the AutoGuide app.

Hope things get back to a more usable state soon.

#308 ·
Set my user preferences to Legacy in the User Control Panel (this works just fine for the PC but not the phone).
Thanks for the tip! :wave:

Had to search around for it but found at the bottom of the "Options" page under "Forum skins."

#309 ·
It's at the bottom of this page (and every page I think).... scroll waaaaay down to the very bottom.

#310 ·
The link at the bottom of the page only makes changes temporarily. If you want to permanently change to Legacy, you have to do it in the User CP.

#313 · (Edited)
Is there any kind of time frame you could provide to help with the waiting? I know a lot has been reported and to each of us somethings are more important than others so knowing when a issue is expected to be resolved could help keep us from whining about it :grin . I know there are some issues I've reported that to me seem really important (specifically like how using IE there are next to no options being displayed in USERCP > EDIT OPTIONS) and it's been days now with seemingly no progress. So knowing if these things are not actually high priority to the team would kinda calm my expectations :wink

***EDIT***
Also can you maybe update the first post with a list of known issues so that the same things arent continually reported by people that aren't reading the thread ;)

#314 ·
I immediately wen't back the the old layout. The information was too spread out, and especially useless on my netbook. It would be cool just to update the top border on the old layout.

#317 ·
Thanks Jeff.

#320 ·
Yep it's fixed and working. I just turned in a Spammer with it.

#323 ·
Jeff, please have devs add scrollbar to bottom, for overflow content! It can be added/changed in the sites style CSS files!

Otherwise it cuts the right side off and we can't pan/scroll.
Here is a screen shot from my tablet. Right side is cut off, I cannot scroll or pan, because most likely the CSS is set for scroll-x none and overflow-x hidden

Attachments

#325 ·
...............................................................................................................Swicago..........................can you read me now? >:D

#324 ·
I've been using my phone for days to log on, this is the first time checking things out on my desktop and I really like the new look! Well done!

#327 · (Edited)
#328 ·
Good catch. All is still not right with the force.:rawr:

#332 ·
Quote notifications:

I am now getting notifications whenever someone quotes me. Not sure how to turn the emails off for those... I like the notification, but not the email reminder.

When I try and click through to them in the notifications bar, I get a blank page.

Chrome, Mac.

Screenshots attached.
Text Font Line Technology Screenshot

Text Product Font Technology Screenshot

#333 ·
Quote notifications:

I am now getting notifications whenever someone quotes me. Not sure how to turn the emails off for those... I like the notification, but not the email reminder.

When I try and click through to them in the notifications bar, I get a blank page.

Chrome, Mac.

Screenshots attached.

View attachment 209321

View attachment 209329

Go to Tools-Quick Links-Blog User Tagging-Settings and you will see this:

Text Font Material property

#335 ·
It's new. It's different. I don't like it. On the plus side, it was good to be able to sign up for Obamacare on here now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.