Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

The DRAMA, the MYSTERY, the DILEMMA!

2K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  dexterdog 
#1 · (Edited)
Prepare ye selves for an epic tale of mystery and intrigue and a dilemma that YOU can help decide the outcome of.

I recently purchased a 2014 TTUE. The sales manager I dealt with was amazing 10/10! Gave me a great deal on my TTUE and was very up front. The finance manager however be a bit (a lot of bit) shady!

When I was with the finance manager and getting the loan approved I knew approximately how much I was going to have to finance. I didn't know exactly as they try to make it as complicated as possible but I knew within a couple hundred dollars.

I figured I'd be up front and I told him I wasn't interested in the Protection or Maintenance Plan. He didn't really acknowledge or try to persuade me otherwise, just continued preparing the paperwork. A few moments later he was ready to have me sign the finance paperwork. I noticed the amount was quite a bit higher than was expected and said his numbers were off. He said "oh let me take a look at that, oh yeah, not sure why it was that high".

The second draft looked very close (within $200) to what I was expecting. I signed. He had a few other sheets of paper for me to sign, I made sure I wasn't signing anything that would cost me extra. Just stuff regarding the alarm system, etc. GREAT SUCCESS!

To wrap things up had me sign what he said was a digital version of the agreement.... Oh yes, you see what's coming. He's about to have his way with me. I thought I was safe, proud of myself for catching his earlier attempt at selling me an extended warranty and maintenance plan. He turned my attention to the digital signature pad in front of me. I signed. (*cries)

I happily got in my vehicle and drove home, not having financed any more than I intended to. Once I got home I looked closely through my paperwork. Oddly enough I saw a lot of paperwork I wasn't shown at the dealership. I flipped through a few pages and THERE IT WAS!! The 7-Year Platinum Protection Plan ($1900) and the 3-Year Maintenance Plan ($300), both with my digital signature stamped on the bottom. This was my first time seeing these sheets of paper that I had apparently "signed".

I became angry, but mostly confused because the financed amount was pretty much spot on. How could I have missed the additional $2200 that I agreed to finance? I continued to investigate.

I finally found the sheet giving a full breakdown of what I was financing. The Protection Plan was there as well as the Maintenance Plan but I found something I wasn't expecting. It says I made a cash down payment of $2100. Now, I know for a fact I didn't put any money down, not a penny. Why would he say I paid $2100?

I believe this mystery is quite easy to solve. Let's see if you guys come to the same conclusion as me. It's worth noting that I have 14-days left to return the Protection and Maintenance Plans. Here's the thing, If I do so they will credit the FULL amount I purchased them at according to the agreement. Meaning I would get a $2200 credit applied to my Toyota Financial account.

So to ye old folks I ask, what would you do? What would Jesus do? But most of all what should I do?

Do I return the Protection and Maintenance Plans?

See less See more
#2 ·
yes. cancel the plans although i remember it was 10 days (maybe that changed to 14 now) and that should reduce your balance. But it wont change your payment.

You signed ... but i would give them a low rating on the survey and then write a letter detailing exactly what happened to the dealership management.

Then I would go on the Internet and give them bad reviews on Yelp, etc.

#3 ·
All I can think off is the $2,100 DP note was put in to offset the $2,200 maintenance/protection plan that's in your financing.

IMO, if the financed amount is close to what you were expecting and will not be a burden to you I would just keep it and use it.

#5 · (Edited)
All I can think off is the $2,100 DP note was put in to offset the $2,200 maintenance/protection plan that's in your financing.
That is the only explanation I could think of as well. But think of this, would he really want to give me the 7-Year Platinum Protection Plan as well as the 3-Year Maintenance plan for $100? Are these plans that worthless? In addition, doing it how he did he risks me returning the plans for the full amount shown on the paperwork. If I do my TTUE would end up costing me about $1900 below invoice.

#4 ·
just out of principle, I'd cancel, if you didn't want it in the first place ... these guys never cease to amaze me ... "stealership" isn't too far wrong ...
:bigthumb:

#6 ·
There is no gaurantee that if you return you will get you TTUE at $1,800 below invoice.
They may not have been able to give the discount on the price for what ever reason but could work it this way so you are getting some sort of deal.

#7 ·
All I can go by is the paperwork that says I paid $1900 for the Protection plan and $300 for the Maintenance plan and that should I choose I can return them within a given period of time for the full amount paid. The price of the TTUE was agreed upon before I talked to the finance guy, and the protection and maintenance plans were not part of the equation.

#8 ·
One part of me feels like I got a super deal on their plans and should keep them. The other part of me wants to screw them over for being douches, then again it was only the finance guy that was a douche. I loved the internet sales manager. First phone call he told me straight up, whatever he pays, Im paying $300 more than that, and he stuck to his word.

#23 ·
When something is too good to be true, it's probably not true, especially when you are talking about car dealerships. I can't imagine somehow $2,100 could disappear into thin air and no one would notice. I would go back to the dealership and ask to talk to the owner or general manager about this shady transaction.

#9 ·
he may have worded it that way on the paperwork in order to make more money for himself. I have a friend who's a finance manager and he's told me they make quite a bit of off selling those to customers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
If you are satisfied with the total cost (the total amount you'll pay when all your payments are complete) then leave it as is. But definitely write an explicit, factual account of your experience and include it on the survey you'll get (and certainly don't give the "top marks" like they always ask, or even plead, you to give them). Also send a written copy to the owner of the dealership and to Toyota USA just to make them aware that this finance manager is using a digital signature thing to add your signature to documents you are not seeing regardless if they are costing you money or not. It's deceptive and unacceptable. Nobody should feel "uncomfortable", like they might be being cheated, or that someone is doing something behind their backs, when spending 30+ thousand dollars on a product.

#11 ·
you did not get a deal on the extended warranty. you can get 6 years/75K for about $800. You paid the maximum.

#12 ·
Read the whole post before you comment. Basically I paid $100 more for the protection and maintenance plan than I what agreed to pay for the car alone. Its just that at first he tried to get me to pay the full price without me knowing about it, then basically forging my signature onto the documents and sneaking the plans into the contract anyway, though he had to put down that I made a down payment of almost the full amount of the plans to pass it by me.

Im sure the guy does it to everyone. Its surprising he still has a job there. I doubt the dealership is in the dark regarding his actions, but possibly.

#14 ·
The Finance manager makes a huge % as a bonus for selling those plans. So basically you ended up paying $100 more financed for a protection plan others pay $1900 for.

So your worried about $100 of the cost of 60-72 notes?

Take the warranty and focus your energy elsewhere. You may end up needing it one day and it will have paid for itself.

#15 ·
It was a crappy thing the finance guy did... and he has probably pulled off tacking on the full price plans without people questioning. He was probably just trying to put money in his own pocket but I would report him.
I had a finance guy ask me if he could add half a point, yes half, so he can feed his kids...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 · (Edited)
bottom line is we're all guessing re intentions, etc, etc ... shouldn't they have at least explained to the customer, what they were doing ... he/they didn't so what does that say ...
:thinkerg:

#18 ·
If you plan on wheeling the FJ you will find the warranty will pay for itself. I would keep it if you did in fact get a deal on it. Mine has paid for itself a few times over... at full price.
:cheers:

#19 ·
Sounds like the finance manager is gaming the system to get himself bonuses at the expense of the stealership.

I chalk this one up to karma in the universe correcting itself, so I would keep the warranty and never look back.

#20 · (Edited)
I dunnoo..still early morning for me...but it "ALMOST" sounds like you might have to put the 2100 towards a down payment and one of the conditions to not putting money down was the purchase of the plans...

I finally found the sheet giving a full breakdown of what I was financing. The Protection Plan was there as well as the Maintenance Plan but I found something I wasn't expecting. It says I made a cash down payment of $2100. Now, I know for a fact I didn't put any money down, not a penny. Why would he say I paid $2100?

The side of me that doesnt trust dealers says to be careful that if you return the plans you arent on the hook for a 2100 down payment...if all that makes sense...

I have seen things similar happen to friends. THey drove off the lot thinking they had a good deal, 3-5 days later they got a call that said something to the tune of...you need to come back and make a down payment or return the car...or better yet....we need you to resign the paperwork...the new paperwork had all the SH** in it...

#21 ·
The finance manager however be a bit (a lot of bit) shady!
Hmmm...interesting comment....I had different words to descibe the finance manager I dealt with...but I won't post them...

When purchased by 2014 FJ in December, it was a great, painless, and hassle free experience (when I was dealing with the salespeson). He was great!

However, the finance manager kept trying to sell me very extended warranty program known to Toyota. He just wouldn't stop! I finally told him to basically to shutup and lets complete the transactions or else...

I'm sensing a trend with finance managers...I'd suggest to those who are looking to purchase a vehicle in the near future...BE PREPARED!!!

#24 ·
I remember sitting in front of the finance manager several times in my life. It was never a good experience. I even once snatched away my trade in car's title from him and walked out stating that I was no longer interested in trading my vehicle. :lol:

#26 · (Edited)
If I go to the dealership and talk to the owner/head manager I can see it going a few different ways.

If I try to return the plans
1. They give me a credit for the full value of the plans. (Less likely if I let them know I didn't put a $2100 down payment on the car.)
2. They ask for the $2100 down payment they never received.

If I want to keep the plans
1. They leave the deal as is but possibly take action against the finance manager.
2. They ask for the $2100 down payment they never received.

If I do nothing
1. I end up getting the plans for next to nothing and live happily ever after.
2. I get a phone call from the dealership asking for the $2100 down payment "or else".

At this point I'm thinking of just not saying anything as I ended up with a fair deal and would like to keep it that way. Though it does bug me that the finance manager will still be doing this to other people, and even though some may catch him in the act, others may not and will end up getting something they never wanted.

Decisions. Decisions.

#28 ·
The more I think about this the more I think the 2100.00 down payment WILL come up....if a week has gone by and they havent called you then you may just want to keep it as is...or if you have the 2100 go give it to them...

Before you take anyone's advice on this forum, I would consult with a lawyer first and see what your options really are, and what legal recourse if any the dealership has if you return the extended warranty.
Just remember that if you mod the vehicle, they will use that as an excuse to decline warranty work on your truck. These guys aren't in the business of losing money, they know exactly what they are doing and try to put as much money in their own pockets as possible.
Good call, we are not lawyers, (thankfully)

#27 ·
Before you take anyone's advice on this forum, I would consult with a lawyer first and see what your options really are, and what legal recourse if any the dealership has if you return the extended warranty.
Just remember that if you mod the vehicle, they will use that as an excuse to decline warranty work on your truck. These guys aren't in the business of losing money, they know exactly what they are doing and try to put as much money in their own pockets as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.