Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Newbie....TRD SE or TT or ??

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  crabcheesewonton 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm a brand new poster as I have recently decided to become part of the FJ family. Looking to get a FJ soon and have decided to go with the MT. My question is this, I have found a 2007 TRD SE with fairly low miles that looks to be in very good condition and well cared for. My other option would be to go for a slightly newer one and pay more. This is my question, is there much difference in appreciable/useable horse power in the 2010 and newer versions and is it worth the added expense? I definitely do not want to buy new and suffer the depreciation. I am leaning toward the 2007 because I have a wife who is less than thrilled with the idea of modifications and after market improvements but I was wondering if anyone can chime in and tell me if the newer TT would be comparable, especially off road? Sorry for the beginners questions but Im trying to educate myself and need some direction. I did do a search and could not really find what I was after. Hoping some of the "experienced" FJ owners may take pity on me and give me some guidance and sage advice. Thanks.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum. In terms of horsepower, the 2010 and later models have an upgraded engine that give a very modest increase in horsepower. As I recall, it is something like 19, so very modest.

From my perspective, both the 07 TRD and the newer TT's will be comparable off-road.

The FJs do a remarkable job of holding their value. It might help if you told us more about the specific vehicles you are looking at, such as year, price, etc.

One thing I would mention is that you do not need to buy a TT in order to get off-road capability. You can buy a base FJ with the Off-Road package and save some money. After all, the TT is mostly about exclusivity, badges and a painted roof.

I know that I hurt someone's feelings there....

#14 ·
Go for the newer one but with the cheap money available for new purchases, 1.6- 2%, warranty, and strong resale in the future I would buy a new TTUE.
Payment will be more but it is a better deal than the high price of used, good luck…gm

#6 ·
welcome.

no difference in an FJ from 2007 to 2014 regarding off road. They are all the same. TT's dont add any additional capabilities.

#12 ·
If you will be going off road a lot or planning on modding it, I would recommend buying a base model with at least the Off-Road Package, the newer models have the CRAWL feature(which I have not used yet but have heard great things about it), A-trac and E-lockers... If you want the solid color roof, look for a 2014 Iceberg, and there ya go...

If you are looking at it as an "investment" or buying something with no intention of modding it at all, then go with the TT... I get mixed feelings when I see a modd'ed out TT, because it takes away from it being a "special edition" type vehicle... Its just another FJ owned by a mod-a-holic with special badges... Not trying to offend anyone, its just my honest opinion... Also, I got my 2014 FJ with Off Road Package and Convenience package with the premium, 7 year 100k mile warranty for just over $30k... I am very happy with the deal and won't ever be getting rid of this truck! Good Luck!!

#18 ·
Just find the color scheme you want. You're going to mod it out anyway lol

#19 ·
I definitely do not want to buy new and suffer the depreciation.
I usually agree with you, but the repeat winner of the KBB #1 resale value award might be worth an exception.

I paid $29,748 for my 2011 in September, 2011. Current KBB value at 22k miles for a private party sale is $27,977.

With those numbers, it seems foolish to buy a used FJ, since you can't be certain of how well the owner took care of it.

#20 ·
I agree with Kamokazie, the best deal out there for an FJ is a new one.
The used prices are so high and the cheap money available for new make new a no brainer, if you can afford it.
I would also agree with those that post that if you are not going to Mod it then the TTUE is the ticket!!!
My $.02.....gm

#21 ·
I literally just bought my 2012 iceberg white with 30,000 certified used and fully loaded with convenience, off road, and tow packages. it was leased brand new as a city driver basically. i only paid 30k for it too. the original window sticker was still with the books and retailed new for 37k. I was in the same boat as you tieken while looking for one on craigslist and stuff but the cert used jumped out cuz it was the color i always wanted and i got the warranty and all that good jazz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.