Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

What vehicle did you trade in to buy an FJ?

14K views 169 replies 154 participants last post by  fxntime 
#1 · (Edited)
Toyota FJ Cruiser owners are a special breed for sure. Thought it might be interesting to see what types of vehicles other owners gave up just before making the swap to their beloved FJ. I have been noticing a lot of similarities between the kinds of vehicles FJ owners used to have or may even still have, so this thread is being started to possibly prove that brilliant minds think alike.

My trade was a 2004 MINI Cooper and I have always appreciated vehicles that have some degree of heritage or are of unique design. While MINI to FJ may seem like quite a leap, I think we may see that it is not so uncommon.

I also have a 2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition and it seems many FJ owners own a two wheeled freedom machine of some type as well.

#5 · (Edited)
2000 V6 STICK SHIFT Camry... 146k miles.. Solid as a rock ! No leaks. No oil burning. Would have gone forever ! PAID OFF!!!! Not a single scratch.. wheels were worn.. .............. but no ..... Couldn't resist the FJ !

This picture is from the day the car got sold and it was leaving so my daughter (an auto enthusiast) posed with it. (december 2011)

Attachments

#8 ·
Got rid of my 2012 Infiniti G37S, cant say I miss it...What I do miss is the 2002 Ram 1500 I traded in for that...20k miles on it and 10 years old :(

#10 ·
2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S so only a 4 cylinder engine haha. It was a fun first car for the time being but experienced problems once I got in my wreck. We had a few people look at it and say there were no problems but I drove the car for years.. I knew when there was something wrong. One guy ended up fixing something and charged me like $600 but the car was just never the same after my wreck.. Almost got a 2014 Scion FRS but ended up with a 2014 cement FJ.. havent looked back since :grin

#11 ·
My first FJ was an '08. Before I bought it, I had a '98 Jeep I bought in '97, then traded it in on a 2003 TJ which I traded in for the '08 FJ. My current '13 TT I bought without trade then sold my '08. So, since '98, I had two jeeps and two FJs. Been enjoying the FJ A LOT more then the Jeeps and I loved my Jeeps! ;)

#90 ·
Right there with you, only buy another one and drive them both, rotating them to keep over miles low- that is my plan….gm

Attachments

#20 ·
2012 Nissan Pathfinder...sort of...
Had a 2000 Jeep TJ that I loved, then had a kid and thought I needed something a bit more grown-up. Opted for a BMW with only 30k miles. Shortly after paying it off, 2years and 25k miles later, the piece of crap blew an ignition coil and had all kinds of other problems all of the sudden. I refused to fix it and needed another car quick. We were going to replace the wifes Highlander with a Pathfinder anyway so I decided to go ahead and get that. The plan was to decide on what I wanted while I was paying it off. One day the wife decided she would rather keep her Highlander over the newer Pathfinder. I said fine, and I started my several month search for a TTE that I liked. Found it!

#21 ·
2002 cavalier.Got it when an ex live in girlfriend moved out with payment book.Loved that car never any problems except basic maintenaence for 100k.Frame in rear finally rusted through.Car was in a rearend crash that pushed it into car in front with airbag deployment and they still fixed it.I think frame work caused frame rust through.

#24 ·
Traded in a 300c for my first FJ. Then traded the FJ for an H2. Then traded the H2 for another FJ......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
I traded a 2005 F250 for my 2007 FJ (just 3 weeks ago). It was a great truck, I bought it in 2007.

What I will miss: Extra $ from plowing, tow capacity and the ability to throw junk in the bed at any given time.

What I won't miss: Body/bed structure that was rotting out (MA loves to salt their roads), leaking exhaust manifolds (both sides at the time I traded it in) 10 MPG, terrible ride quality.

While it's only been a few weeks, I have NO regrets. Love the FJ :bigthumb:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.