Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Rebuild/Repair the Front End

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Noisy Boy 
#1 ·
Follow up to my accident thread:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/341801-well.html

Since they are repairing it ($7700 initial estimate) I have my local trusted body shop hauling it back from 2+ hours away this morning so that I can oversee progress closer to home.

I'm going to forego the stock bumper and add one that Expedition One currently has in stock. Either a Kodiak, Diamond or Hoop is in my future. Not sure what light setup (if any) to go with at this point, but need to decide by tomorrow to place my order under the Group Buy at 20% off.

FJ Cruiser Products

I've also decided to add one of their cool swing-out rear bumpers, but those are 3-4 weeks out, so that will be an add-on at the tail end (literally) of the project.

I'm continuing a black out theme, but the cost of the bumpers is probably going to delay me getting the roof painted as I'd planned. However, I'd like to use some different front signals (LED) and grill (TRD?) and possibly upgrade to Bushwackers fender flares (Style?) if there's any money left over.

Anything else I'm missing? Opinions on parts to choose for both function and style? Any other feedback is appreciated.

Q

See less See more
#3 ·
or deftracings hood.

You could always upgrade to the fiberglass widebody fenders, nows a good time to do that as well. Looks like you can upgrade skid plates now. just to name a couple

#5 ·
OK, those are great suggestions that I didn't even know existed. Keep 'em coming.

I have ARB skids on already - don't think there's anything in the estimate to fix/replace those...

#8 ·
Looks like your old winch was completely destroyed... Not a spec of it left... That definitely needs replacing. There is also a cool grill replacement for a 20"light bar mount that essentially replaces the "Toyota" on the grill.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
I'm looking at the Rigid model with two lights - do you know who makes the 20" light bar model?

#10 ·
Well, just found out that the money's going to be a bit shorter than I wanted. So, I'm also considering going with the Warrior front and rear bumpers to frankly save (quite a few) bucks. I was worried about rust/powerdcoat issues from a couple threads, but it seems there are similar issues - even if sporadic for EXP1 and other metal bumpers. Thank God I have a deadline, because I'd be afraid to make a 'mistake' with an open-ended schedule.

#13 ·
... says the monocle avatar :)
yeah I would paint those studs black.

#15 ·

Attachments

#16 ·
Looks like you actually got frame damage which the repair shop straighten out. If you ever plan to sell the car, you should try to see if your insurance company will give you lost value compensation. As they will never offer it if you don't escalate.

I learned the hard lesson with one of my car which got into an accident (far less damage than yours) and was perfectly repaired by the dealer with all original parts. When I tried to trade it, Carfax shows frame (structural) damage from the accident, and guess what, my trade-in value was 1/3 at one dealer, and less than 1/4 at the other dealer. I don't mean 1/4 less, but actually 1/4 of the average trade in from multiple sources. They don't want cars with that on the Carfax as it is considered not sellable from most dealerships and they had to auction it off and have corner car lots to sell them. So the trade in value is no more than a sympathy so you will buy the new car. I learned it far too late, 3 years after the accident, I wish I had known sooner. There are plenty of articles out there about this subject which you should research, you have nothing to lose.

Next time I get into an accident with frame repair required, I will request the insurance company to total it even if I have to pay them a loss to do that. Now I am stuck with a car which I will drive until it dies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.