Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

At what point does the fj get sluggish?

14K views 84 replies 39 participants last post by  Zeus 
#1 ·
Currently my fj is stock as can be and has plenty of power. My former vehicle was a 2012 regular cab 4x4 tacoma with the 2.7l 4 cylinder and auto trans. With aftermarket wheels and 265/75/16 duratracs all the power at higher speeds was gone. It specifically had trouble driving into any kind of wind or uphill. I would have to shift it out of overdrive in order to go over 65mph without the trans constantly downshifting pretty often.

I'm wondering at what point will I see this with my fj? I figure I should be fine with 285/70/17, but I've been thinking about going with 295s or possibly larger. I figure the addition of bumpers, winch, and other gear isn't going to help.

#2 ·
I had an '07 with lift, bumpers, a semi load of crap in the back, 285/75/16, etc. with 200,000+ miles and I live at 6600ft and the only time it seemed sluggish to me was after driving a 5.7L Tundra.

#12 ·
Try it at different cruise speeds.

When I went to Moab and Summit (from TN), I found I ran better at 75 mph than at 70 mph.
The higher RPMs made me THINK I was wasting fuel, but I quickly saw I wasted more by going slower, and it constantly bumping the RPMs up.

Get it to where most of the time it cruises, even at a higher RPM. The "down shifting" will eat more fuel and cause more heat than the constant higher RPM.

#10 ·
you're first problem was a 4 cylinder in a truck. No 4 cylinder is going to perform well.

My first time to Cali, rented a vehicle, not available, ended up with a small 4 cylinder truck, and my hotel was 6,000ft up a mountain.

This truck was brand new, and let's just say, at full throttle, even the Chevettes were passing me.

Again, had a 6 cylinder POS 78 Mustang (in 1990), and it outran an RX7 (3 cylinder rotary engine BTW).

THE POINT: it is all about the power being matched to the vehicle. No truck should have anything less than a 6 cylinder. They put the 4 cylinders in to meet EPA requirements and to be able to market it as fuel efficient (for a truck), even do this with cars, but the engine is BARELY enough to pull the vehicle. God forbid you put 4-6 large people in it, or .... change the tire size.

#11 · (Edited)
I'm wondering at what point will I see this with my fj?
At what point does it feel sluggish? It begins at the moment you turn the key on. :crying

I had 285/18's on the truck when I bought it. No other mods, and it was horrible to drive. I gave up using cruise control and I was always annoyed by any sort of incline at all.

I now have 33" tires, 3" lift, and roof racks for my kayaks. It's even worse now of course. However, the glory of the FJ is it's performance off road. That's what I love about it and that's why I knowingly made it worse with the modifications. I hate it on concrete, and love it everywhere else.

As long as I can cruise 70-75mph without it constantly downshifting I'll be happy.
It's a turd, be prepared to be annoyed if that is your criteria.

On the flip side it IS all relative. I don't know what is slower, but if you're used to whatever that is, you'll be perfectly happy with the FJ. This is my first non-performance car so I feel like pulling my hair out most days. :lol:

#17 ·
The biggest hills are interstate overpasses. I don't mind if it has to downshift up a hill, but I don't want it to struggle in lighter headwinds.
Even with my current setup I don't recall it ever downshifting due to wind, just minor inclines, so you should be all good!

#14 ·
I just looked up some specs and the tires I want are only 1" bigger in diameter and 15lbs heavier than my stock tires. This leads me to believe it will be fine. If I can cruise into the wind at 80-85 currently, I find it hard to believe the new tires will make that much of a difference.

#16 ·
I'm gonna get the tires soon and see how it does. I understand that going larger tire wise will mean some loss of power, but I don't think it will be as bad as my tacoma was. I tend to worry more than I should to be honest. If it were as bad as the tacoma I don't think many people would put larger tires on.

#19 · (Edited)
A. If you have a stock FJ (4x4 AT) with no luggage rack and the more "streety" tires, like the stock Dunlops, you have the FJ in fastest stock form:

Seemingly faster off the line, push the pedal and it moves.

Capable from the engine torque to putt along between 35-40 at 1000 rpm without downshifting.

Capable of 77mph cruise on flat parts of interstates without downshifting to go up overpasses.

Thinking you have a broken cruise control because the FJ will creep up to 5-6mph higher than the set speed going down hill.

Capable of constant 20-21 mpgs, 350 miles plus range (don't run the tank dry because the fuel is a coolant for the in-tank fuel pump.)

B. If you have a TT FJ with no luggage rack and the stock BFG "square shoulder" knobbies:

If feels like a tank when you push the loud pedal: the fan noise roars, and the FJ slowly creeps to speed.

A parachute behind you at any speed, auto tranny always up/down shifting to maintain forward momentum

Still capable of 77mph cruises on interstates, but those tires drag it such that it downshifts going over highway overpasses even on flat land. In a mountainous interstate, just leave it in 4th and stop the irritation of the tranny shifting all the time.

Absolutely accurate cruise control. Go down a long downhill grade in neutral and those tires will slow it down!

I got an average 19.38 mpg over 31k of highway driving. Always starting to look for the next gas station after you pass 200 miles on the trip odo.

C: The worst (in stock form): Add the stock luggage rack to the TT with the stock BFG knobbies:

Starting acceleration same as TT knobbies w/o the rack

Still got the parachute dragging behind you

Still capable of 77mph cruise (but downshifting all the time in town or on the road)

Still accurate cruise control

MPG on my '12 TT, 800+ miles since new: 16.36 mpg low, 17.72 avg mpg, gulp:surprise

I don't have any knowledge of the 4x2 or the MT 4x4, but I'd guess either will push the numbers up/down from what I've experienced.

Wind? the aerodynamics of a brick. Fortunately, unlike a compact car, the FJ at 4000+ lbs just slows down and not blows around.

#20 ·
I am amazed and puzzled by statements like it is horrible to drive, it struggles...??? What the hell, how did Toyota sell a single FJ, what are the Comparable vehicles here BMW Mustangs and Camero's. I call BS, if it's that bad to drive than it's what has been done to it, not what it is....I moved from stock up to 285's which is what it sounds like your going to do, it will be absolutely fine, it pulls it self along very well I barely noticed the increased tire size power wise. All I have is hills, real friggen hills not inclines and not gradual. 1200' elevation change in three to four miles, everywhere I go it is either up or down, one hwy out of the city is a roller coaster climb for two hours to 5000 feet before dropping back to sea level. I have never hated the power, it pulls just fine for the brick it is, would I like more power Sure why not..... Not sure where you have 85mph roads and I would not say the FJ is "cruising" at that speed stock or modified but It can go that fast. It will be just fine for the roads you drive everyday.
If you don't need a really aggressive tread then don't get one it only adds to the over all weight, rotating mass and rolling resistance, And do not gear it down if your running hwy speeds like that most of the time.

#22 ·
I don't consider mine sluggish at all.
With street tires, no roof rack, and a mild lift, Ultra Gauge says I'm getting 20.7 mpg, combined.

That said, when compared to my 2012 Taco TRD Sport access cab with a 4.0, it is different. Let's just say the Taco is more nimble and has a bit more "zip".
But, that's comparing two different animals and I'm happy with both.

#24 ·
I like the suggestions you guys are making, and I think I'll give it a try on my next 1000+ mile trip. I have been driving mine in OD and keeping it at 65 mph, thinking it gets it's best MPG there. Even at that I get 15mpg and 240 miles per tank. I'm going to bump up the speed and try the cruise at 75 as suggested and see if it makes a difference. Can't hurt to try!

#26 ·
Very subjective question as I believe it comes sluggish right off the lot with not half the power it should. Mine is armored up, Camburg/Icon suspension, 285/70/17 Destination MTs on 17x9 Moto Metal wheels. I installed 4.56 gears and that's all that kept me from giving up and selling it. It's my daily driver/weekend rock crawler. However, I might get out on the rocks maybe once a month these days. I will say that for my driving, adding the 4.56 gears ADDED an average 2mpg to every tank. I no longer keep it floored any time my foot is on the go pedal. Still wish it had A LOT more, but livable.

So to each his own...

#29 ·
I will say that for my driving, adding the 4.56 gears ADDED an average 2mpg to every tank. I no longer keep it floored any time my foot is on the go pedal. Still wish it had A LOT more, but livable.

So to each his own...
I wouldn't have expected that. Nice! Do you do a mix of city/hwy or predominantly one over the other? I actually am not bothered by the power at all in stoplight to stoplight situations. It's mostly highway driving that gets me.

#27 ·
The 4.7 would have been nice...weighed mine down quite a bit with boat anchors as tires, steel bumpers and skids, etc. Intake and exhaust make it bit more enjoyable, but definitely underpowered.

#32 ·
Problem solved! I'm pushing around 5,800 lbs with 35's and have no issues other than MPG is down the sh!tter

Attachments

#33 ·
...MPG is down the sh!tter
...and that was my hesitation on the SC. The gears helped a lot, but not enough at about 5800lbs as well. I'm not happy, but it's livable AND I'm averaging 14.3 MPG mixed, which I can just live with for a daily driver. If I add a SC (and would probably go URD since I don't trust Toyotas SC maps) I'm afraid that I wouldn't want to afford to feed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.