Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Before and after accident

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Graves 
#1 ·
In mid November, the fiance and I moved from Florida to Oklahoma. I pulled a Uhaul with all our goods while she was flat-towed my other jeep. We gave ourselves three days to move so we could relax and enjoy the drive. Unfortunately, the weather was crap the whole time - nothing but rain.

Coming up to one of our exits, she panicked and sped up (70mph) to get in the right lane. She hydroplaned as she switched lanes and spun both her FJ and my YJ together and hit the center divider with both vehicles traveling backwards. The YJ came away with very little damage. The FJ took the brunt of the force in the drive train, body, and cargo area. Both rear quarter panels had be to cut out and replaced b/c the YJ bumper (which folded forward) punctured the back of the FJ in multiple spots on both sides. You can't see it b/c the plastic bumper cladding covered where most of the impacts occurred.

Damaged totaled up to $10k in parts and labor and took a month and half to finish. I'm extremely pleased in the fact that the FJ (YJ too) were both able to complete the 1000 miles journey under their own power after the accident and the fact that she came away completely unharmed. I promised myself if the rubi ever fails on me, I'll find my own FJ.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's crazy glad everything worked out and no one was hurt.

Reactions: gaylonw
#7 ·
Glad everyone was ok and you completed your journey.

#9 ·
I bet that was a scarey ride for a little while. Glad everyone walked away ok.
One flat towing tip to take away from this is look at the attatchment points for the tow bar on the jeep. They should be right over or just inside the frame rails to keep this from hapening again. Really glad all is well.

#10 ·
Wow, sorry that it happened, but I'm glad it's all good now.

I agree with one of the other posters about new tires. My Nitto Terra Grapplers were always good, but my new Cooper At3s saved my from one accident already. I have found them to be amazing.

Nice looking jeep and FJ! You um...well... Might want to get a lift on the jeep. Her FJ looks bigger stock...
Is it the road, or do rubis have that much factory rake?

One last question, does the FJ or jeep tow better?

Cheers!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
I'm not sure if all jkur's have as much rake as mine does but I do have the "max" tow package. I have plans on lifting both after the original tires wear down but you're right - the fj does look much bigger.

In terms of towing, I've flat towed the yj behind both the jkur and fj over 3k miles and I'm much more comfortable towing with the fj. The fj is also rated to pull higher at 5000lbs vs 3500lbs for the jkur. In all honesty the fj is the better daily driver. But off road - the jkur is far superior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.