Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

What can I expect out of the FJ?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Moab Junky 
#1 ·
Hello,
I'm about to trade my jeep rubicon in for a 2007 FJ. The FJ I'm going to get has 122k miles, automatic, TRD edition. Clean carfax and all. What do I need to look for on it? I have never owned a Toyota. The reason for the change is I recently changed jobs and need something more suitable for my 30 mile interstate commute to work. My main concerns and questions will be listed below. Thank you all.

-How well do FJ's hold their value?
-Is there any major problems?
-What is a TRD edition?
-Can I expect a comfortable ride to and from work?
-Is there any major maintenance needed?
-Whats the average cost of maintenance/repairs?

#2 ·
How well do FJ's hold their value?
#1 for resale & climbing due to out of production
-Is there any major problems?
No on 09 Look for fender bulges I haven't seen it but is does occur Search this forum
-What is a TRD edition?
Upgraded exhaust/ badging
-Can I expect a comfortable ride to and from work?
Not too bad of a ride for a 4X4
-Is there any major maintenance needed?
shouldn't need much if it has been maintained.
-Whats the average cost of maintenance/repairs?
Varies wildly & depends on where you go . The dealer will want your first born for any maintenance.

Reactions: Moab Junky
#3 · (Edited)
Service the AT fluid. You CAN DIY, but it isnt a simple drain and fill. These like FRESH fluid, unless you know it has been done.

Same could be said for all the fluids but that is just maintenance. Some early 07s had weak diff gears (overhardened).

Other than that there is not a whole lot to worry about.

The 07TRD is one of a kind. They ONLY came in black/black roof with silver plastics and graphite 6-spoke TRD wheels. Pretty much a looks package, but you did get functional rock rails and Bilsten shocks. Only like 3200 made so its a rare bird. If it isnt black on black with the badges..it isnt a TRD...some people like to put those big TRD stickers on the rear fenders...and those are just stickers...

TRD:

#7 ·
One thing you can expect from the FJ is a noisy engine. There have been few threads in the engine performance section. My '11 has this ticking sound. It can get annoying, at least it's getting on my nerves. Have taken it to Toyota where they brought a 2013 to me and showed the same sound.

#8 ·
BEFORE YOU SIGN ON DOTTED LINE...get VIN, go to ANY Toyota dealer and honestly tell them you are thinking of buying this FJ: but want to know what warranty/recall history was performed and separate data base for service history. General FJ history isn't nearly as important as "specific history" for a given FJ! With number of miles on it, owner may have had it serviced elsewhere, not at Toyota dealer to save money: but you might get lucky if he hopefully did all main. at dealer, so it is trackable? If all of preceding goes well, insist upon taking it a dealer for maximum 155 point inspection done on cars dealer is going to CPO. Probably somewhere between $ 75 & $125 and YOU MUST PAY FOR IT, IF YOU WANT DEALER TO BE WORKING FOR YOU AND NOT AT SAME TOYOTA DEALER TRYING TO SELL YOU FJ!

All these are no guarantee that it won't fall apart when you leave the lot; but worth it " to improve your odds" and for peace of mind! When I've taken these steps buying a used vehicle, I've never been burned!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.