Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Should I Contact The Previous Owner?

5K views 41 replies 33 participants last post by  fabricgator 
#1 · (Edited)
Should I Contact The Previous Owner? - Update - I Did It -

I just got my FJ earlier this week from a dealer and while going through it I found the previous owner's contact info.

I'm tempted to contact him to ask if there is anything I should be worried about, and maybe tell him that we can link up if he wants so he can come wheeling again if he's feeling nostalgic.

One piece of info was insurance, which was USAA, so I'm assuming he's a fellow vet. He lives about 30 mins away, though I obviously wouldn't just show up at his door.

Text the guy? Message him on FB?

#3 ·
I like the sentiment behind your thinking, but maybe the circumstances of this person not owning the FJ anymore are sensitive. If it were me, I'd let it be and not contact them. Who knows, if you live that close odds are good you could run into them some day.

Dan
FJPDX

#10 ·
This. I would not appreciate direct contact. My initial response would be something along the lines of, "So, um, how you liking it" while my initial thoughts would be *great, now I have to change my phone number, burn down my house, and join a monastery in the Himalayas to get rid of this stalker who probably will kill me the next time he gets a flat tire*

Whereas, if I got a note from the dealer with the previous owners contact info and a thankyou note that would be pretty baller. I might even offer to buy that guy a beer.

#13 ·
Such a good analogy, like meeting your ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend.

I agree. You don't know the circumstances of the breakup (sale), which might have been unpleasant. Plus, what's the big upside? You have a new friend? If the guy still wants to be involves in the FJ community, he's probably on here. Downside: it's awkward, creepy, and possibly some sort of violation of his privacy.

Just let it be, and get out and enjoy your awesome new vehicle!

#11 ·
I just got my FJ earlier this week from a dealer and while going through it I found the previous owner's contact info.

I'm tempted to contact him to ask if there is anything I should be worried about, and maybe tell him that we can link up if he wants so he can come wheeling again if he's feeling nostalgic.

One piece of info was insurance, which was USAA, so I'm assuming he's a fellow vet. He lives about 30 mins away, though I obviously wouldn't just show up at his door.

I HAVE done this.

Bought a 2001 Corolla back in 2004 from a dealer.

Found previous owner info in glove compartment.

Called the guy to find "history information" on the vehicle.
He was a little stunned initially but then he was ok. I did apologize for bothering him.

He gave me as much details on car as possible. He was nice. :grin

#12 ·
Is the thing all modded up?? If it is just another stock FJ I doubt the guy would give a hoot if you called. I too found the info from my PO, but it was just some lady. I figure the thing was on soccer mom duty until it was traded in due to the $4+/gallon gas at the time (Ohio).

#14 ·
No.
Majority of FJ owners past and present couldn't care less about the wave, community, forums, off roading, modding etc like the few of us are. To them its just a tool to help cope with the rigours of life.

Leave them alone, let them get on with their life and move on with yours. If you are really that close...let them approach you if the see you.

#15 ·
Park down the street and watch their house. Send them pizza. Check out wife and/or older daughters. Stalk them.........

#17 ·

Are you serious? Why?

This is not a $500,000+ collector's car. It's just an FJ.

If a vehicle is having mechanical issues, first thing many would do is put it up for sale and dump it.

#18 ·
Story Time:

When I bought my FJ, and traded in my Honda Civic, the new owner of my Civic used the dealership as a middle-man to ask permission to contact me. The dealership called me about a week after the trade and said the new owner wanted my information so he could discuss the history of the car. I granted permission. We actually still talk from time to time (this was 3 years ago) about various things. I mailed him my entire service record file since the dealership didn't have any interest in taking them. He even sent back some aftermarket stuff I had added during ownership so I could resell them. I think it has been a good mutually beneficial relationship since he gets info on his new car, and I can keep tabs on my trusty Civic and know its in good hands.

If you would like to contact the previous owner, I would suggest you allow the dealership to act as the middle-man, that way the owner can remain "anonymous" if he so chooses. That being said, I think it can be a good relationship if you two do end up connecting.

My 2 cents.

The End

Reactions: Curtis-BW-Guenther
#19 ·

Depends on how heavily modified it is.

Bone stock? I wouldn't contact them.

Tastefully modded and proof of offroading? At most, I'd send a "thanks for the mods you put on the truck, I'll take good care of it" note.

One thing to consider: you don't know the circumstances around why this vehicle was sold. Divorce? Sick kid and they needed the money? Wife wanted a Subaru Outback?

#20 ·
It came with Icon stage 2 suspension, nitto terra grapplers, has signs of off-roading and I found a badge from this forum in the cup holder.

Seems like the guy was an enthusiast.

I purchased a warranty with it in case he did sell because issues were coming up.

#22 ·
Personally, I've directly contacted a previous owner through Facebook before, when I bought my GTI that was 1 year and 10k miles old. I just wanted to know if there were any problems that led to trading it in. He said he was wanting to get back into RWD American muscle, no problems. I also used the pretense of sending him back a CD of his I found hidden in the door cubby. He said I could keep it and I haven't contacted him again; it did seem a little awkward.

To do it over again, I would do the dealer contact route. That's a great idea.

BUT, since he was obviously a forum member, he probably wouldn't care if you contacted him. I wouldn't.

#23 ·
Let sleeping dogs lie.
There are very few good reasons to contact the previous owner, and about a bazillion reasons not to.
Kind of like contacting your current girlfriend/wife's ex to ask why they aren't together anymore...

#25 ·
You could also drove past their place and see what is parked out front. If there is a lifted taco or something than I would contact them, if it's a Prius, than leave it.
You're going to need to drive by multiple times tho to make sure that the vehicle spotted is the only one that resides there. Probably best to go at night, but you'll need the lights off to really check out which vehicle without any glare, and go extra slow for safety since the lights are off. Maybe idle out front and see if another cooler car comes later.

#27 ·
It would be sweet if he did have a spare key. It only came with the valet key and one normal key.

#28 ·
I just bought my first FJ from a dealership about 2 weeks ago. The salesman had gone on about how the guy who traded it in was the dealership owner's best friend and the cruiser had been taken very good care of. I was sure he was BSing me to make the sale.

The day after I brought her home, I stopped at this little convenience store near my house. As soon as I hopped out, the guy who owns a little coffee stand in the parking lot yells over- "Hey! Did you just buy that?" Me- "Yep." Him-"Thats mine! I just traded it in last week!" We ended up talking in the parking lot for an hour, going over the mods and service he did over the years.

Now I have a complete history on my FJ less than half a mile from my house!

BTW, hi everyone, I'm new.

#30 ·
Maybe post a couple of pictures showing how much fun you're having with his old FJ?

#31 ·
Last time someone bought a car I traded in the dealer called me asking if they could give me to new owners info as he wanted to ask me a few questions on the mods/maintenance. I said yes and as the seller of the car contacted him. Might be best to go through the dealer and let them reach out if they feel so inclined.

I had no issue with it and it turns out the guy lived about 5 miles away.

#32 ·
yeah, I see no reason to contact him...specially if you got it through a dealership...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.