Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Jumping Ship?

10K views 57 replies 43 participants last post by  Jb7710 
#1 ·
I see a ramp up of owners demodding to go back to stock in the for sale section... What's the story!? Trading up, life changes, what's the deal!? Mines paid off so I'm driving it till it either dies or gets wrecked. It'll take me as far as it'll let me go before before I get another car payment

#5 ·
We agree with Gaylonw, "From my cold dead hands" comes to mind whenever I hear someone talking about getting rid of theirs. Wanted these two colors/vehicles since we saw the brochure back in '09. :rocker:

Que the Rick Astley music............

Reactions: gaylonw
#4 ·
I waited years to get mine. Not gonna let it go. Actually want a Cavalry Blue one for the wife so she stops stealing mine.

#7 ·
Mines paid off and will be in the family forever. It will have to be a pretty bad wreck in order for me not to fix it. I already told the wife I will be getting the engine and trans replaced or rebuilt if they ever go bad. 9 yrs + and its just broke in :)

#8 ·
I really loved mine, and it was paid off. It came down to needing to free up some cash and which vehicle I prefer to own/maintain/offroad with. I own(ed) an 08 FJ (with plenty of mods/add ons) and an 05 Unlimited Rubicon.

I truly enjoyed modifying the FJ and it as a daily driver, but it came down to personal preference and maintenance history. When I sold the FJ, it had had the throw out bearing replaced 3 times in the 93K of mileage and was showing signs of needing another. Fender bulge on the passenger side and a few other out of pocket expenses was just too much. FWIW, other than routine wear and tear items, my LJ has 146K and has only needed an A/C compressor and o2 sensors. I also preferred the hard or soft top options as well as the lower cost of parts. I know that the jeep gets a lot of negative feedback for reliability, but the with my previous XJ and current LJ, I have only had an alternator, rear main oil seal, a/c compressor and o2 sensors in almost 300K combined.

I am still active on the FJ board because I do love the FJ and enjoy keeping up with all the latest news/tech/etc. I see another Toyota in my future - possibly and FJ, maybe an older LC, or a Tacoma.

#10 ·
I truly enjoyed modifying the FJ and it as a daily driver, but it came down to personal preference and maintenance history. When I sold the FJ, it had had the throw out bearing replaced 3 times in the 93K of mileage and was showing signs of needing another. Fender bulge on the passenger side and a few other out of pocket expenses was just too much. FWIW, other than routine wear and tear items, my LJ has 146K and has only needed an A/C compressor and o2 sensors. I also preferred the hard or soft top options as well as the lower cost of parts. I know that the jeep gets a lot of negative feedback for reliability, but the with my previous XJ and current LJ, I have only had an alternator, rear main oil seal, a/c compressor and o2 sensors in almost 300K combined.
Good to hear, chalk one up for the old LJ.

Jeeps have their quirks but hard to fault that 4.0 engine.

Fortunate enough to use the FJ for expedition, LJ for the serious stuff although I might be on a bicycle if this stock market don't get better.

Picture of the LJ?

#11 ·
I am located in Oklahoma and I noticed that some of the guys selling their FJs are from Texas where due to the decline in oil prices are taking a toll in the job market so no more of those 100k welding jobs, here in Oklahoma natural gas and oil corporate are also suffering, hopefully the market finds a bottom and we could have a stable market. My 2 cents....:wink:wink:rocker:

#12 · (Edited)
My RAV4 is my FJ's extension that keeps the FJ's miles low and keeps it out of sun and rain unless it is a desert expedition. If something happens in my life, my RAV4 goes first and FJ gets put to work. If things worsen, I can always live only on one kidney... :-D

#14 ·
Only if you have dumped too much money without thinking.

I bought all my cars used. Not saying that I am great at saving but my Sequoia was used. I think a little rational thinking can save our FJs... :wink
Not saying that my FJ is safe from some life event in future that I might not have control over.

If there is job loss (God forbid), yep you and your FJ are F****D !!

#15 ·
I just got mine and I plan on keeping it. However, if gas prices got so high that I could not afford to drive it anymore, I might reconsider. I would probably still keep my FJ and buy a Geo Metro to drive to work and only take the FJ out on weekends. :)

#16 ·
I paid mine off within a year when I got it July of 2006, and the only thing that will take it away is if it gets totaled.
Best rig I have ever owned, no plans to ever sell it.
It is set up perfectly for me to commute and camp with.

#17 ·
Took me a long time to get my hands on this FJ ...the harley gives me good gas mileage in the summer and the wife loves the FJ for camping and outdoor adventure..it will take a major catastrophe and all the planets lining up and the moon spinning out of the earths gravitational field ,,,then maybe I would have to consider giving it up...just consider it ,,,

#18 ·
Many reasons people get rid of their FJ's. I am getting an inchworm this weekend form a member that is buying a house & selling the FJ. Layonne bought a land cruiser a whiled back & I got his ARB bumper & Rock rails. The ones I don't get are the ones leased & getting mods. I have bought a cornucopia of used parts for 60 to 70% and more off MSRP. This forum is a great place to buy stuff for those of us that are keeping their FJ's forever. Happy hunting.

#19 ·
My 2013 is paid off and I plan on keeping it forever! I actually just purchased a new Corolla to use for running the kids to all of their functions which was putting a ton of mileage on the FJ. (60 miles round trip to soccer practice twice a week, and about 500 miles every other weekend in the spring and fall to tournaments and such)... My oldest kid is 11, so I plan on giving her the Corolla when she turns 16 and then I will still have my FJ with low miles!

I have been tempted to sell the FJ and buy a used Landcruiser which is much bigger inside and is still a great off-road vehicle, but I just love the utility of the FJ...I use it to tow my landscape trailer for mowing yards and to tow my pop-up camper...I do not plan on jumping ship anytime soon!

#20 ·
I'm still paying $1000 a month on mine (I'm sending extra). God forbid: If I lost my job, I suppose I'd have to make a hard choice. It's worth more than what I owe, so I'd probably have to sell it and take the equity. Thankfully, I've been here about 18 years and chances are slim I'd ever get the boot. Can't say never, but she'll be paid off in less than 2 years and I fully plan on keeping her till she rusts away. I might be able to afford a few more mods once the payments are complete :)

#21 ·
I find myself, a brand new FJ owner staring at this decision. My wife lost her job last month so it is a distinct possibility that I will have to let my new best friend go, but I'm holding out! I definitely do not want to lose my FJ!

#24 ·
I traded the FJ for a 2012 Mustang GT brembo pack, 6 speed manual, about 6-7 months ago, it was an awesome car, but unfortunately having no offroad vehicle to enjoy the outdoors wore us out fairly quick, plus i invested some money into performance mods, and that didn't work well with the soviet union smog laws here in Souther Cali, i guess i'm not 20 anymore :), while i enjoyed the 6-7 months i had the car, the kids/wife were not exactly happy about not being able to go out to places like we did when i had the FJ, so i had to go back at it, except this time, i went to the dark side with a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited, which at the moment is not as fun as the FJ was, it's a plain jane with open diffs, 3.6L engine and 5 speed auto, in a couple of months i'll be adding an Eaton elocker for the the back, and Detroit truetrac for the front, and more likely regearing to 4.56's, i made the mistake of doing 33's, and after a 2.5" lift (everything is different in the Jeep world, facker went up like 3" or so), i wish i had gone with 35's, the Jeep also has a soft top, so the kiddos couldn't be any more happier, sure it's not an FJ, but i'm more than happy with the choice as the whole family is happy with the new toy.

#26 · (Edited)
My uncle owns a dealership, so having access to inexpensive used/new cars meant that I changed vehicles like underwear for the majority of my life. After 6 months I would stop caring about the vehicle and after a year trade it in..

In 2006 I put down my deposit for my FJ. Here I am, 9 years later, and I *STILL* smile every time I turn that key. This is the only vehicle I have ever owned that has kept my interest for this long. I absolutely love my truck. I am sad that I can't find a like-new one at a realistic price, because the only thing that will get me out of my FJ - is another FJ.

Most people share pictures of their ugly kids that mean the world to them, I share pics of my ugly truck that has meant the world to me:

#28 ·
Not trying to be a dick but the FJ started selling in the spring of '06 as an '07 model. >:D

#31 ·
Its all about choices. I never thought Id sell mine but what I enjoyed was the journey of modification. I had fun building my rig up but in the end- was at least a 4 hour drive to any place that would challenge it. That means full weekend of camping which my wife wasn't keen on. I also work rotational and when home- have to maximize my time spent on any project. So I opted for lower and faster and have enjoyed that modification process as well.

I also agree with the statement made above about the oil and gas industry taking a huge hit. I'll likely be unemployed soon as well. Its the life of a contractor but it still stings when it happens.

#32 ·
Worst vehicle I have ever owned...for not enjoying every second in. I may go back to my first ride... an 82 Buick Regal. I miss the velour benches, chrome, vinyl top, and no power.

Seriously though, only thing I don't like about the JJ is the Gas mileage. Luckily that's what Jetta TDIs were made for! (other half's car)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.