Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Difference between 08 and 11 models?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  chriskrossapplesauce 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello I am currently in the market for purchasing a used FJ. I'm looking at a 2008 with close to 100k miles and a 2011 model with less. As far as I can tell they are the same except the engine. It seems the oil filter is on top of the engine for the 08 model and underneath the car for the 11 model. Is that the only real difference? Can someone please explain any significant differences? All help is appreciated thank you

Ps. I am looking for a manual transmission. Is there anything I should look out for when looking for such a transmission? Are they known as being reliable, or unreliable? And did they make two wheeled models also? Is there a way to tell it to make sure that I am looking at a 4 Wheel Drive as opposed to a 2 Wheel drive? The differentail shifter doesn't have a 4H and 4L It just has an H and HL with a N and LL Thank you

#2 ·
All manual transmission-equipped FJCs are 4 wheel drive.

2 wheel drive models will always have automatic transmissions. However, not all automatic transmission-equipped FJCs are 2WD. The most-built configuration was 4WD/auto trans, at approximately 85% made. Several independent sources have told me that 10% of the North American FJCs were equipped with manual transmissions, and 5% were 2WD.

The main difference between a 2008 and 2011 model year is the motor; curiously, they're both called the 1GR-FE.

For the 2007-09 model years,
The 1GR-FE is the 4.0 L (3956 cc) version, designed for longitudinal mounting in RWD and 4WD pickup applications. It has a 94 mm bore and a stroke of 95 mm. Output is 236 hp (176 kW) at 5200 rpm with 266 lb·ft (361 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm on 87 octane, and 239 hp (178 kW) at 5200 rpm with 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) at 3700 rpm on 91 octane. This engine features Toyota's VVT-i, variable valve timing system on the intake cam and a compression ratio of 10.0:1. Service weight, including fluids, is 166 kg (366 lb). A bolt-on TRD supercharger kit is available on the Tacoma and FJ Cruiser.
For 2010+ model years,
An updated version of this engine features Dual VVT-i, increasing output to 270 hp (201 kW) and 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) on 87 octane and 285 hp (213 kW) and 289 lb·ft (392 N·m) on 91 octane.[citation needed] Inside, the 1GR uses a "taper-squish" combustion chamber design with matching pistons to improve anti-knocking and engine performance, while also improving intake and fuel efficiency. Toyota adopted a siamese-type intake port, which reduces the surface area of the port walls and prevents fuel from adhering to such walls. This engine has special cast-iron cylinder liners cast into the block, which are a spiny type to improve adhesion between the liner and cylinder block. With these special thin liners it is impossible to bore the block. In the event of cylinder wall damage (scoring, deep protrusions, etc.), the entire cylinder block must be replaced. For increased block rigidity, the 1GR also receives a high temperature plastic insulator/protector, which fills the empty space between the outer portion of the cylinders and block material common to open deck engines. For increased cooling efficiency, the 1GR employs water passages between the bores of the engine. There are two such passages for each bank for a total of four. This reduces cylinder hot-spotting and keeps combustion chamber temperatures more uniform.
No supercharger is available for the 2010+ motor.

2010+ model years also receive changes to the front suspension and subframe, rear differential, air bags, and other items.

The changes are well-documented on this forum in many threads.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
The 2008 is based around the LC 120 and the 2011 around the 150 series so there are some differences on design but not major from a users point of view I don't think; others here can be more specific as I have only limited knowledge.

As for the transmission the auto is Part Time 4WD so the transfer lever shows 2H, 4H, N and 4L. The Manual transmission is a permanent four wheel drive so has a centre differential. So the lever shows H HL (centre diff locked)N and LL. Yes there are two wheel drive variants there is no transfer lever for a 2WD.

#6 ·
Here's some advice from a manual transmission driver. Don't drive it like it's a sports car. FJs aren't designed to shift hard. It seems like Toyota skimped on the manual transmission a little bit. I love my 6 speed, but I always have thought about the throwout bearing squeak in my head. It's a common issue that can be fixed. URD makes a kit that supposedly fixes the issue, but I have no experience because I haven't run into it yet. Also, the MT gets worse gas mileage than the AT because of the full time 4WD. But FJs get terrible gas mileage anyway :grin

Good luck in your decision!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.